dkg520

1960 Suburban

dkg520

I need some expert advise from the forum members. I have a 1960 Suburban with a K91 motor.  When I start the engine with a 30 inch belt the transmission pulley continues to spin even with the idler pulley fully disengaged. Thus I can't put the transmission in gear.  I have tried putting a 31 inch belt on but it spins off of the pulleys when I disengage the idler pulley. What am I doing wrong that I cannot disengage the transmission pulley from spinning.  Thank you for any help. 

evanloock

Do you have the clutch "finger" that threads into the engine block adjusted so that it just clears the belt when the clutch idler is engaged?  Do you have the belt guard installed? Proper clutch operation requires both of the above.

Edited by evanloock
  • Like 3

W9JAB

Do you have the belt guard installed? A finger is fart of the guard.

The clutch "finger" that threads into the engine block may need  adjusting.

Both good places to start.

stevasaurus

You can make these very easily and they will solve your problem.  They funnel the slack in the belt toward the drive pulley so your trans input pulley comes to a stop so you can shift.  They need to be about 1/4" from the belt to work...one on the top and one on the bottom.  :)

20140626_185255_zps21261cf9.jpg

20140626_185335_zpsba7d7f5b.jpg

20140626_185358_zps7c54fc58.jpg

• Like 2

WHX??

I wrastled with this same issue till no end. Finally solved it by makin a belt snubber for over the top of the clutch idler. See if I can dig up some pics.

• Like 1

dkg520

Thank you all for your help. I was not aware of the "fingers" needed.  If anyone has a diagram or can explain to me how theses can be made it would be helpful.  Thanks again

WHX??

This is what it should look like if you have the engine mounted snubber. It should ride on top of the belt tho I was just desperate to try anything to get it to work.  I had to make one that looks like the idler mounted one in the 2nd pic to solve my problem. Otherwise anything like Steve showed will work too.

20160808_172424_thumb_jpg_063522639c2290057d292651845f9eea.jpg

SAM_0101_thumb_JPG_069dd6d313ba84c8a087c4b32d1668c7.jpg

BTW I had thought we run a 29" belt on these??? Have to ask @Racinbob about that.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

The ones in the pictures were just made by @walfish at the big show.  He had some pieces of rod with him and a couple of pairs of pliers.  The rod appears to be either 3/16" or 1/4" and just bend them to fit what you have there.  That piece of metal over Jim's picture of the idler pulley is a must also.  The guard is a plus and a safety thing in this case.  :)  If you bend and place those pieces, you will be able to shift you tractor.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

wallfish

I use and have 29" belts on mine but others say it's a 30" belt. I thought the 30 is for the deck and have always used 29 inch belts on all of my suburbans and 28s on the RJ-58s. I think the idler will hit the belt guard with 30" belt. At least that's what @Ken B and I discovered while messing around with this same issue on a Suburban at Stevebo's M&G. It can get very frustrating

• Like 4

dkg520

A big Thanks to all of you!!!!!

• Like 2

Racinbob

That's interesting on the belt length. I know it's supposed to be a 29' but I just couldn't use one. I had to go with 30". At first I thought that one of the pulleys was the wrong diameter but that's not the case. :think: Another thing is that I didn't have to use any of the finger thingys to stop the belt. I was getting ready to make some and put the guard on to check clearances and discovered that the belt stops fine. :scratchead:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It is when the belt does not stop that those fingers work like a champ.  We had no pictures and it was never answered if he had a belt guard.  :think:  :)

dkg520

Yes I have a belt guard and will make the fingers.  Thank you all for all your knowledge!