TIGman

Model 753 5025 transmission question

TIGman

On the 753 I just picked up was trying to figure out what I might be missing in the transmission area after the chop job someone did.... :(

Looks like all I am missing is the 1/4-20 x 3/4" socket head set screw for holding the shift lever in the correct position.

Was wondering what gear lube they used in that transmission?

Looks like the end of the shift lever on the ball end could use some TLC also.

Hope I can find some one who welds.....

;)

IMG_20170422_125745936.jpg

IMG_20170424_131855348.jpg

IMG_20170424_132714740.jpg

IMG_20170424_132801218.jpg

IMG_20170424_131848811.jpg

Edited by TIGman
  • Like 2

953 nut
14 minutes ago, TIGman said:

Hope I can find some one who welds

Good luck with that!    :ychain:

15 minutes ago, TIGman said:

wondering what gear lube they used in that trans

Manuals call for 40 non detergent, most folks use 90 gear lube, oil is oil if all you are doing is pulling a cart around the yard.  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

gwest_ca

The set screw is a dog-point type.

Garry

• Like 2

TIGman

Thanks!! 953 and Garry that answers my questions.  

I wondered if the end of the set screw was some special shape.

• Like 1

953 nut

Image result for dog point screw   Dog point screw

• Like 1

TIGman

Yes Sir we have dog point set screws in the parts crib, but I think 1/2"-13 threads are a little big. lol

I made up one. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

WHX??

Yah there're easy to make in a pinch. you gonna open that tranny up Tigs?? who know what other monkey business was going on there. Why on earth somebody would booger up a tunnel like that!!:confusion-shrug:

• Like 3

Racinbob

There was a service bulletin that switched the recommended oil to 40wt. This was to help minimize the problem of the transmission locking up in two gears. Then they revised the shift rails sometime in 1964 by having a deeper neutral detent and using a 3/4" shift stop pin instead of an 11/16". That gave a mechanical stop that minimized the problem. They failed to switch the recommended oil back to a heavier weight for some time after that. You may want to use the 40wt. Better yet, if you're going to open it up you might want to find some later shift rails and the longer stop pin. The spring and balls are all the same. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 4

TIGman

Going to claim a small Victory on the tranny tonight. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Made up a 1/4-20 dog point set screw before leaving work. Of course when I get home I noticed some one opened it up to 5/16-18. Made up another set screw, installed it and shift lever and the tractor shifts into all the gears. YAY !!! :)

Still have to do something with the giant hole they chopped in..... 

IMG_20170424_183825352.jpg

IMG_20170424_184245268.jpg

IMG_20170424_190904.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

You want to gently tighten that set screw and then back off no more then 1/4 turn...then snug with a lock nut.  Nice looking set screw.  :)

Don't ya just wonder what somebody was thinking to drill all those holes like that?  If the guy that did that went into that trans, I would open it and take a look.  :occasion-xmas:  Actually, it would have been easier to drop the trans and go after that set screw instead of what he did there.  :think:

• Like 3

JPWH

It would probably be easier to make a new pan than repair that damage.

Jay

• Like 3

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

WHX??

That's a common thing to find Tigger ...changed to 5/16. I got an RJ like that. Well that explains the butchered up tunnel anyway. From the looks of that shifter ball maybe he had the dog point under the shift pivot. Check under neath it to see if it chewed up there.

Just to relate on this new to me 1055 with the froze tranny the set screw was twisted off. After I pulled the tranny the busted off piece backed right out with two fingers!... Lucky..... Good thing you sent me two @Racinbob :handgestures-thumbupright:

Maybe I should have just hacked on the tunnel so you could make me a new one. Looks like yer gonna need practice!:ychain:

• Like 3

TIGman

I sure wish the 753 could talk..... ;)Would probably tell me some horror stories. lol 

I think possibly they stripped out the 1/4"  and opened it up to the next size.

Will have to check out everything really close on tractor for sure.

• Like 4

953 nut
11 minutes ago, TIGman said:

have to check out everything really close on tractor for sure.

anen.jpg.d488ba3da5e8a07c170e9dafb3fb231d.jpg

• Like 3