Kerry67

Kohler K141 K161 K181

Kerry67

Are these still in production?  I have searched and all I see are rebuild kits etc..... Where can I find a ready to run engine?

WHX??

No they haven't made any K series for years. Fortunately they made so many they are quite easily found to be rebuilt hence the broad  offering of rebuild kits. What are you looking to power? Harbor freight often has good prices on the small bore engines.

• Like 2

Kerry67
19 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

No they haven't made any K series for years. Fortunately they made so many they are quite easily found to be rebuilt hence the broad  offering of rebuild kits. What are you looking to power? Harbor freight often has good prices on the small bore engines.

I just got a 653 and am looking for something to just be able to bolt in.  Hearing you need to make some mods to run the HF Predator

WHX??

Oh ok Kerry a 653, well the bad news is you will be hard pressed to find a bolt in replacement for a K. The good news is the predators can usually be adapted without too much monkeying around and you should not have to modify anything on the original frame work  that can't be reversed should you happen to stumble on a usable Kohler.  Usually just some mount spacers or brackets are all that's required. I take it the tractor came without a motor or has a bad block and can't be rebuilt?

Kerry67
10 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

Oh ok Kerry a 653, well the bad news is you will be hard pressed to find a bolt in replacement for a K. The good news is the predators can usually be adapted without too much monkeying around and you should not have to modify anything on the original frame work  that can't be reversed should you happen to stumble on a usable Kohler.  Usually just some mount spacers or brackets are all that's required. I take it the tractor came without a motor or has a bad block and can't be rebuilt?

Yeah, it came without an engine.  I am not a fabricator and am to brand new to these so I want to make it as easy as possible

wht.jpg

stevasaurus

That horse originally had a Tecumseh 6hp, and either you don't want that or you can't find one anyway.  A Kohler or Predator should work great, like Jim said.  The horse that is there appears to be in good shape.  Welcome to Red Square.  :)

• Like 1

Achto
3 hours ago, Kerry67 said:

Yeah, it came without an engine.  I am not a fabricator and am to brand new to these so I want to make it as easy as possible

If the gas tank on the tractor is good. You should be able to remove the Predator gas tank and run a new line from your original tank to the new engine. Other than that there should not be much to change or fab. You might need to run a new throttle cable. The Predator has two locations for mounting a throttle cable, just need to pick the one that best suits your application. Most new replacement engines are going to be over head valve engines with the same basic shape as the Predator.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

bmsgaffer

If you search around and ask around you should be able to find one of those (you are probably most likely to find a K181, but you will need to be sure to get the small air-filter cover, from a smaller engine). Hopefully you can find one in decent running, but used condition. Otherwise you will need to ask around at your local shops to find someone to rebuild it for you. There are placed that do it but expect to pay $400-800 for it using aftermarket parts. (Dont worry about using Kohler OEM parts, that would just double the cost)

I just noticed you are out in AZ. One issue you will run into is a lack of wheel horses in general out there. You could possibly buy something from someone back in the midwest and use Fastenal 3pl to have it shipped pretty reasonably (75-100 if you work it right). 

Also, for easiest swap in, you want to make sure the replacement engine is from a wheel horse. They spec'd lots of different options so that will be easiest. 

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 2

Kerry67
1 hour ago, bmsgaffer said:

If you search around and ask around you should be able to find one of those (you are probably most likely to find a K181, but you will need to be sure to get the small air-filter cover, from a smaller engine). Hopefully you can find one in decent running, but used condition. Otherwise you will need to ask around at your local shops to find someone to rebuild it for you. There are placed that do it but expect to pay $400-800 for it using aftermarket parts. (Dont worry about using Kohler OEM parts, that would just double the cost)

I just noticed you are out in AZ. One issue you will run into is a lack of wheel horses in general out there. You could possibly buy something from someone back in the midwest and use Fastenal 3pl to have it shipped pretty reasonably (75-100 if you work it right). 

Also, for easiest swap in, you want to make sure the replacement engine is from a wheel horse. They spec'd lots of different options so that will be easiest. 

Yep, the Wheel Horses are hard to find out here.  I found one from another member here that I contacted and he was cool enough to sell me one.  Needs the motor and seat though.  I will probably go with the predator as that seems the easiest and the cheapest route right now.  My plan is to clean and paint it up first.....

• Like 3