slim67

Camping

slim67

Is anyone getting ready for camping this year? My wife and I try to go out several times a year with our pop -up. We dont have a permanent site like some but prefer to go to different spots. Sometimes we take our kayaks but not often anymore( not enough time). We started with a tent and about 6 years ago, got the pop-up. This is what I am planning on staying in for the Big Show. We are planning one keeping this one for another year then hopefullly going to look at a single axle ultra light.For anyone not familiar, ultra lights are around 16 feet long and light enough to be towed with a minivan/small SUV.

camper.JPG

• Like 6

953 nut
3 minutes ago, slim67 said:

This is what I am planning on staying in for the Big Show.

:twocents-02cents:    You better plan on getting a head start on that trip; probably take several days for the :wh: to tow the pop-up to the "Big Show"  :ychain:

• Like 6

slim67
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:twocents-02cents:    You better plan on getting a head start on that trip; probably take several days for the :wh: to tow the pop-up to the "Big Show"  :ychain:

That would give me a lot of time to daydream, wouldnt it?

• Like 3

nylyon

Got 3 booked already, Cape Cod, Lake George and Gardiner NY. Can't wait to get ⛺️ 

• Like 2

JPWH

My wife and I are planning some lake time this year. We leave the camper in storage at the campground for the summer then we just take the boat back and forth for the weekend.IMG_20111028_161911.thumb.jpg.fe4cdcec4ca63852adc7c72553bc3655.jpg

• Like 2

slim67
56 minutes ago, nylyon said:

Got 3 booked already, Cape Cod, Lake George and Gardiner NY. Can't wait to get ⛺️ 

The only time Ive been to NY to camp was 2 years ago at the KOA by Letchworth State Park. A beautiful countryside and falls. I doubt i will ever get to Cape Cod but ill bet its nice.

55 minutes ago, JPWH said:

My wife and I are planning some lake time this year. We leave the camper in storage at the campground for the summer then we just take the boat back and forth for the weekend.IMG_20111028_161911.thumb.jpg.fe4cdcec4ca63852adc7c72553bc3655.jpg

Thats a nice set up you have. I hope you get to spend a lot of time there this season.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I have been camping for ..... well let's just say over 60 years.    Starting with Boy Scout back packing on  the Appalachian Trail,  to pop ups, to slide in truck campers, and to travel trailers.

And back to the pup tent at the Big Show.  

IMG_5987.JPG.b6237c46c5981bf5b71ac6fdcc17e154.JPG 

I do still have a Coleman Pop up, but Mrs K   only camps in our permanent  35' Shasta DB  at Slaughter Beach, Del.   We plan to open the camp next week for the summer.

I leave the boat there for fishing and crabbing all summer.

IMG_4548.thumb.JPG.ab915eccfd7fb3b50eaf478e915cddb7.JPGIMG_4547.thumb.JPG.575c7b70e84efe8edc2c8abbddf796a3.JPGIMG_6479.thumb.JPG.1557dd5257a666967ad8a92eb4478e95.JPGIMG_2947.thumb.JPG.a312bc7884959c465797ca6e22d9d927.JPGIMG_6471.thumb.JPG.b22a1ff5e34aabe04345d95faac0bd09.JPG

IMG_4542.thumb.JPG.7a4024ba16788a615b8db47fd8935113.JPGIMG_4551.thumb.JPG.aa9a0544a9421a84799749d822bb50fc.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG

• Like 2

slim67
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have been camping for ..... well let's just say over 60 years.    Starting with Boy Scout back packing on  the Appalachian Trail,  to pop ups, to slide in truck campers, and to travel trailers.

And back to the pup tent at the Big Show.  

IMG_5987.JPG.b6237c46c5981bf5b71ac6fdcc17e154.JPG 

I do still have a Coleman Pop up, but Mrs K   only camps in our permanent  35' Shasta DB  at Slaughter Beach, Del.   We plan to open the camp next week for the summer.

I leave the boat there for fishing and crabbing all summer.

IMG_4548.thumb.JPG.ab915eccfd7fb3b50eaf478e915cddb7.JPGIMG_4547.thumb.JPG.575c7b70e84efe8edc2c8abbddf796a3.JPGIMG_6479.thumb.JPG.1557dd5257a666967ad8a92eb4478e95.JPGIMG_2947.thumb.JPG.a312bc7884959c465797ca6e22d9d927.JPGIMG_6471.thumb.JPG.b22a1ff5e34aabe04345d95faac0bd09.JPG

IMG_4542.thumb.JPG.7a4024ba16788a615b8db47fd8935113.JPGIMG_4551.thumb.JPG.aa9a0544a9421a84799749d822bb50fc.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG

That looks like a good time Ed. Thats a great way to spend time with family and get away from it all. You have tried them all so whats your favorite?

classicdmax

We still tent camp here, get out for about 5 weekends a summer, mostly to NH. After 20+ years in a tent I think I'm about ready to graduate to some sort of camper. My delusion is to convert an enclosed trailer into a camper, although buying a pop up would be much easier

Ed Kennell
46 minutes ago, slim67 said:

You have tried them all so whats your favorite?

They all have their plus and minuses Slim. 

I still like sleeping under the canvas and the tent works for shows when I am  alone and pulling a trailer loaded with horses.

One of our best camping trips was a 28 day tour Mrs K and I took of nine Western National Parks.  I traded my heavy 28' Mobile Traveler  on a light Coleman pop up for the trip.

Our oldest son Mark was a senior at PSU and we  dropped our youngest son  Mike off for his first year at WVU and we kept going West. It really worked great for crossing the Rockies multiple times. The only minus was closing it to move in the early morning when it as wet with dew.  I never  had a small lightweight travel trailer, but I can see how it would be a great choice for over the road camping. 

I had the truck slide in when we were towing a boat on the East coast.   It required a big vehicle and was a problem loading and unloading and storing the camper.

Now that my family has grown, the permanent 35 footer with 30 x 10 screened porch at the Beach is big enough to bring the family together for 3-4 long weekends very year.

So, you need to fit the equipment to your needs,  and be aware, those needs will change over time.

• Like 1

Adams94

This is our outfit,  we enjoy camping at the state parks and we really enjoy camping at shows.

13730824_1186845574693614_9009896216927696302_o.jpg

14225552_1225958047449033_8657761903115626497_n.jpg

WHX??

Nice campers guys, this is what we do for the tractor shows. Air mattress & fold up table. Only way to camp & be able to haul tractors. Hopefully get some time this summer for some cabinets & a permanent power system.

20160825_172450[1].jpg

• Like 1

slim67
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

They all have their plus and minuses Slim. 

I still like sleeping under the canvas and the tent works for shows when I am  alone and pulling a trailer loaded with horses.

One of our best camping trips was a 28 day tour Mrs K and I took of nine Western National Parks.  I traded my heavy 28' Mobile Traveler  on a light Coleman pop up for the trip.

Our oldest son Mark was a senior at PSU and we  dropped our youngest son  Mike off for his first year at WVU and we kept going West. It really worked great for crossing the Rockies multiple times. The only minus was closing it to move in the early morning when it as wet with dew.  I never  had a small lightweight travel trailer, but I can see how it would be a great choice for over the road camping. 

I had the truck slide in when we were towing a boat on the East coast.   It required a big vehicle and was a problem loading and unloading and storing the camper.

Now that my family has grown, the permanent 35 footer with 30 x 10 screened porch at the Beach is big enough to bring the family together for 3-4 long weekends very year.

So, you need to fit the equipment to your needs,  and be aware, those needs will change over time.

That's good advice and interesting to see your travels. I think my wife will have a big say in our next camper. I was the one who wanted a pop up and we have had a lot of good times with it. 

1 hour ago, Adams94 said:

This is our outfit,  we enjoy camping at the state parks and we really enjoy camping at shows.

13730824_1186845574693614_9009896216927696302_o.jpg

14225552_1225958047449033_8657761903115626497_n.jpg

That's the way to do it .

24 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

Nice campers guys, this is what we do for the tractor shows. Air mattress & fold up table. Only way to camp & be able to haul tractors. Hopefully get some time this summer for some cabinets & a permanent power system.

20160825_172450[1].jpg

I met a couple camped next to me at the KOA near Presque Isle and the guy made the whole interior for his. It was meticulously put together. He made better cabinets than I think are in my house. I have seen several people camp like you do and it's cool what ideas they come up with in outfitting them.

• Like 1

Adams94

When we got to the big Portland show though, we take 4 trucks usually.  2 pulling campers and 2 with implement trailers

slim67

That sounds like a good time. I have never been to that show. How is it?

Ken B

I love camping myself. In the early 70's I camped almost every weekend as a kid with Mom, Dad and 4 brothers and two sisters. The woman and my youngest brother slept in the Nimrod Popup camper and the rest of us slept in a big old army surplus tent. Great family fun, everyone pitched in. My Dad did all the cooking when we camped. Before I was even married I owned my own vintage travel trailer and I've had many popup's and vintage travel trailers since. Heck, it was my wife that decided she wanted to go camping on our Honey Moon on Cape Cod so we hitched my 78 Star Craft Galaxy 8 popup behind my 78 Camaro Z/28 and away we went! I fully restored this 1970 Atco travel trailer inside and out about ten yrs. ago. I sure wish I still had it, it would look great behind my 70 Chevy Pickup... I've been looking for the right truck camper for my truck for a yr. now with no luck...

IMG_0372.jpg

• Like 1

slim67
On 4/24/2017 at 6:26 AM, classicdmax said:

We still tent camp here, get out for about 5 weekends a summer, mostly to NH. After 20+ years in a tent I think I'm about ready to graduate to some sort of camper. My delusion is to convert an enclosed trailer into a camper, although buying a pop up would be much easier

That's no delusion, I've seen it done and done nicely. The cost of campers makes that an attractive alternative. I wish I would have gotten pics of the two that I looked at. For the heck of it , you should google image that and see what comes up. Who knows , maybe there is a forum for that to.

46 minutes ago, Ken B said:

I love camping myself. In the early 70's I camped almost every weekend as a kid with Mom, Dad and 4 brothers and two sisters. The woman and my youngest brother slept in the Nimrod Popup camper and the rest of us slept in a big old army surplus tent. Great family fun, everyone pitched in. My Dad did all the cooking when we camped. Before I was even married I owned my own vintage travel trailer and I've had many popup's and vintage travel trailers since. Heck, it was my wife that decided she wanted to go camping on our Honey Moon on Cape Cod so we hitched my 78 Star Craft Galaxy 8 popup behind my 78 Camaro Z/28 and away we went! I fully restored this 1970 Atco travel trailer inside and out about ten yrs. ago. I sure wish I still had it, it would look great behind my 70 Chevy Pickup... I've been looking for the right truck camper for my truck for a yr. now with no luck...

IMG_0372.jpg

Could you pull that with a minivan?

WVHillbilly520H

I'm torn between keeping and restoring this one (1965 Winnebago 16') or flipping it and getting a pop up, also had a slide in given to me with no good way if moving/getting it, Jeff.

IMAG2469.jpg

• Like 1

classicdmax

There is forums, and tons of pics. I just had to upgrade my work enclosed trailer this spring, so will prob wait 2 years or so to follow thru with my ideas. I already have 3 trailers and have nowhere to store them all as I have a small piece of property. A 4th would really throw a wrench in the mix. For now my tent fits in the basement

slim67
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I'm torn between keeping and restoring this one (1965 Winnebago 16') or flipping it and getting a pop up, also had a slide in given to me with no good way if moving/getting it, Jeff.

IMAG2469.jpg

That's a little more secure and weathertight than a pop up. Those older campers always catch my eye.

2 hours ago, Ken B said:

IMG_0372.jpg

I saw the perfect tow vehicle for that yesterday, wish I had pics. It was a first generation Chevy van with flames and a blue paint job,cragar SS on all fours, 60s on the back and a 327. I will see it around again and will post a pic. It was the coolest thing I've seen in awhile.

Ken B
21 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

IMAG2469.jpg

The outside of your Winnebago looks like it might clean up real well... How is the inside? When I bought my Atco it needed the outside painted real bad so I got to work prepping it and I added a few fresh coats of paint thru my HVLP gun. The inside needed new flooring and all new water lines, which I did. I also added an oven in the kitchen for making frozen pizza's.. Luckily all of the cushions were still like new... I wish I had some inside pics, it was pretty mint inside...

WVHillbilly520H

@Ken B, it's rough on the inside, hard to to spend the $ on something I'm not sure I would even be happy with in the end, the getting price was " move it and it's yours" is how I ended up with it title and all, but the slide is rough on the outside and "decent" on the inside, Jeff.

IMAG2459.jpg

IMAG2453.jpg

IMAG2455.jpg

IMAG2460.jpg

IMAG2447.jpg

IMAG2448.jpg

IMAG2449.jpg