Searcher60

Onan 20 HP Noise?

Searcher60

Hey, a 1996 Onan 20 HP with 401 hours has a noise that sorta sounds like a ticking sound, but not exactly. Definitely not a knock. Any ideas? Doesn't sound like any valve tick I have ever heard, but maybe. Thanks in advance.  

rmaynard

Where does the sound seem to be coming from, front cylinder area or the rear? 

Searcher60
31 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Where does the sound seem to be coming from, front cylinder area or the rear? 

Sorta center front. 

Cee245

Is it a consistent tick? When you rev the engine does it tick more frequently or less/same? 

Searcher60

Consistent at all rpm. Noise speeds up and down with engine. Can't hear it wide open due to exhaust.

Edited by Searcher60

ericj

the ticking noise I've heard on onan engines came from 3 different issues. One of the first ones was a loud valve ticking on a 97 416-H, took my buddy to look at it and he walked away scared of the noise. I did some wheeling and dealing between my buddy and the seller , by fixing his broken A/C system. anyways I brought it home and pulled the intake and exhaust off and found the cap fell off the valve stem some how. I forget which valve it was, last year I bought a 520 and the owner said the motor was junk. dragged it home and pushed it off the trailer and left it sit till a month ago. started checking it out, had 110 psi per cylinder so I got it running, but it had a knock to it that seemed to be getting louder each time I ran it. Finally found that all of the bolts on the bearing plate behind the pto where barely hand tight. tighten the bolts up and no more knocks, something easy enough to check for yourself. and the last I found, but can't remember any exact specific case but an exhaust leak could cause a tick noise, so that's something else to check for. good luck let us know what you find, may help somebody else down the road

eric j     

• Like 1

WHX??

@ericjmight be on to something there ...or maybe just valve lash needs adjusting? On my honey do list as well! :)

• Like 1