torkey

No click, no start

torkey

I am working with a 16-38 HXL model 71227 that refuses to start.  No click, no lights etc.  I'm suspecting there is a safety switch somewhere that is causing the problem.  

Fuses=good

Solenoid=good

Relay=good

Is there a electrical diagram for this model? I've bypassed the seat safety switch and want to try bypassing the PTO and brake safety switches.  

Is there anything else I should look at?

Thanks!

gwest_ca

This should help. Each circuit has it's own diagram.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, torkey said:

bypassed the seat safety switch and want to try bypassing the PTO and brake safety switches.  

Is there anything else I should look at

4 hours ago, torkey said:

no lights etc

Your lights don't go through any safety switches. Clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds and fuse holders.

6bg6ga

Did you take a meter and check the battery? If good go positive lead to battery and negative lead to the frame with your meter. You should show 12VDC. If not take a jumper wire from battery negative lead to the frame where it can make a ground and see if the lights work and if it tries to crank. Also, look and see if there isn't a pigtail of some type that maybe wasn't connected to the neagtive battery terminal. My 616Z sat with the battery out all winter and I installed a new battery and it wouldn't do anything. I probed the safety switches and scratched my head and looked again and found I forgot to connect it to the neagative battery terminal.

torkey
12 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Your lights don't go through any safety switches. Clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds and fuse holders.

I was thinking the lights on these only work when the engine is running since they are powered off of the magneto.  I will check the connections anyway.  Seems like good advice.

953 nut

I stand corrected on the lights, all of my :wh: are over 30 years old so my thinking tends to be old school.

6bg6ga

I see nothing wrong with your thinking. It could actually go either way. I haven't opened the schematic but I see nothing wrong with the idea the lights wouldn't work without the switch being on. I also can see where they could run straight off the battery and the stator charges the battery when the engine is running and when the engine isn't running and the lights are on you have a draw against the battery.  Both have merit and both have plus points as well as negative points.

My two cents....after looking at the schematic.

I would have designed it so the lights would work when the switch was on period. Unless I'm mistaken its looking like the lights only work from the stator output.

I think its asinine to have it the way they set it up. I've had other tractors in the past that had lights running straight off the ignition switch. The lights were dimmer without the stator producing a charging voltage and they brightened up when the engine started.

PS.... There is nothing wrong with being school and thinking old school. That is what got us where we are today.

Edited by 6bg6ga
  • Like 1

6bg6ga
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:52 PM, torkey said:

I am working with a 16-38 HXL model 71227 that refuses to start.  No click, no lights etc.  I'm suspecting there is a safety switch somewhere that is causing the problem.  

Fuses=good

Solenoid=good

Relay=good

Is there a electrical diagram for this model? I've bypassed the seat safety switch and want to try bypassing the PTO and brake safety switches.  

Is there anything else I should look at?

Thanks!

Turn the ignition switch to start then check the safety switches.

Its pretty simple ground the negative lead on the meter to chassis ground. Now probe the safety switch and with the switch active the 12VDC will pass thru the switch and if not then its bad. In other words you will have 12 volts on the switch's input and if the switch is open you won't have 12 volts on the output of the switch. So any of these switches failing to close and pass the 12 volts will keep the engine from turning over.