dstriker

Tiller model number 7 1211 7

dstriker

What mowers is this tiller for someone gave it to me and was curious if I could use it on my 416-8

Racinbob

That is the older style and utilizes a two belt drive with an idler setup bolted directly in front of the transmission. From 73 on the B's, C's, 300. 400 and 500 series tillers were directly interchangeable and used a single drive belt. However, that older model can be 'converted' to the newer drive system. That's exactly what I did and I actually liked it better than the newer style. It had the advantage that you don't have to remove the slot hitch to install it. I used it on a 1976 for years. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

dstriker

How would it need modified exactly

I'm unsure of what I need to do to make it work my neighbor has a 520 and his tiller looks pretty much identicle to mine except the big pulley is single and mine is double 

Wouldn't it work the same only using one side of the pulley?

Racinbob

It's not so much a modification but more of getting different parts. You'll need the idler setup that mounts in the tach-a-matic under the motor. That's the main difference. The axle bracket is the older style with the idler mounted on it. Hopefully that will be with the tiller you're looking at. Lifting the tiller utilized a piece of bar stock in the slot hitch and a short chain. I think you're referring to the double pulley on the idler that the older units had mounted to the front of the transmission. That doesn't get used because you'll now use just one belt. I don't remember what the length was since it was years ago. It could have been the same as the newer style used. Check out a tiller manual from a newer unit and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's hard to explain but actually quite simple. If you'd like PM me your phone # and talking about it might simplify things. :)

gwest_ca

This will give you something to compare.

Garry