DennisThornton

John Deere Sweepster to WH xi?

DennisThornton

Any point in considering this:

01616_8GqJmq1G2bf_1200x900.jpg

to fit an XI series?

Obviously the hydraulics are an issue but the XIs have that front PTO right up there...

Never thought about using a 12v hydro on a WH but I do have 2 of them.

$400 for a 44" Sweepster if I hurry!

pfrederi

The frame for my sweepster uses both the front and mid tachmatic mounts.  the hydro lift would be nice as the electric on mine is painfully slow.

Bigger problem is the one in the picture is setup for a North south mounted engine.  Where is the output shaft for yours.....

IMG_1630.JPG

• Like 1

DennisThornton
12 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

The frame for my sweepster uses both the front and mid tachmatic mounts.  the hydro lift would be nice as the electric on mine is painfully slow.

Bigger problem is the one in the picture is setup for a North south mounted engine.  Where is the output shaft for yours.....

IMG_1630.JPG

Perhaps I'm not understanding.  Or it's a misunderstanding about the classic style 520 vs 5??xi?  The XIs are inline with the front PTO just like the JD in the picture.

pfrederi
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

Perhaps I'm not understanding.  Or it's a misunderstanding about the classic style 520 vs 5??xi?  The XIs are inline with the front PTO just like the JD in the picture.

I do not have any of those new fangled machines,, sorry 

• Like 1

Dennys502

We made a prototype broom for the 5xi but I can't find my info on it. I don't remember if we went into production with them - I will have to make a phone call next week.

For me I could make it work - depends upon what you are able to do I guess.

One thing I notice it looks like it has a fixed angle.

You could make a special pulley box for driving it.

DennisThornton
3 hours ago, Dennys502 said:

We made a prototype broom for the 5xi but I can't find my info on it. I don't remember if we went into production with them - I will have to make a phone call next week.

For me I could make it work - depends upon what you are able to do I guess.

One thing I notice it looks like it has a fixed angle.

You could make a special pulley box for driving it.

I was intrigued by the similar front PTOs and then the rest suddenly overwhelmed me as a huge issue, but then thinking about the considerable talents here I thought I would ask.... 

Dennys502

Yes sometimes things can be intimidating. Unfortunately for me it becomes a challenge which usually gets me into trouble.

I decided to look into the steering on the D250 and discovered it was missing all the thrust bearings and the shaft had rusted badly.

I had thought about making a power steering setup for it but decided to try and rebuild the steering sector.

I have spent the last couple of days making a bracket so I can use my chain sharpener to grind the worm gear back into shape.

I roughed it in on the mill but it needs a smoother finish.

Needless to say lots of hours left to fix it but I have fun in the process.

Steffen_Brandt

Hey Dennis.

Just wanted to show you, that here in europe there were made a broom for the xi models or a A frame for the tractors. And I have now become the happy owner of a 523 dxi with a front 3 point hitch and pto, and 2 extra hydraulic spools. Including broom, snowblade and mower. IMAG0397.thumb.jpg.518a25b1d53c6767a195bf04d081b9e8.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Oh my!

More pictures please!

Tap off the hydro or added pump?

Where are the spools?

And the CAB!  Love the CAB!!

And look at this front tow ball mount below and do I see remotes poking through the hood?

Front ball mount.jpg

WVHillbilly520H

Wonder why they didn't think the US market wouldn't like some of those European gadgets as well, I'm sure those cabs would have sold well here in the snow belt of the US,  Jeff

• Like 2

Steffen_Brandt

@Dennis. 

The extra hydraulics to lift the hitch and to swing the sweeper or snowblade is tapped into the hydro with two electric actuated hydraulic valves. This was made by the dealers, as I was told. Think it was a kit made for the xi models by the company Who made the hitch. "GMR Stensballe". http://en.gmr.dk. That company still exist.

So there are two small Electric switches on the dash. I'll will take some pictures.

On the 518 hydro besides the 523 dxi. I have made quick hydraulic couplings both front and back. I have dismounted the original hydraulic valve and replaced it with a 2 spool. The ones on the front was for the sweeper, which I am currently trying to sell. 

• Like 1

Steffen_Brandt

Here are some pictures. 

IMAG0443.jpg

Steffen_Brandt

The hitch attaches to the mid and front attach a matic by driving over it, connecting the hydraulics and using the hydraulic hitch to lift it into place. It takes 5 mins. The pto has two screws which is used to tightend the belt. 

IMAG0442.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

IMAG0441.jpg

IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0433.jpg

IMAG0432.jpg

IMAG0435.jpg

IMAG0434.jpg

IMAG0436.jpg

IMAG0437.jpg

If only the world was smaller, then you could buy this xi with cab and sweepster. It is for sale now here in Denmark: http://www.altimaskiner.dk/ads/used-toro-for-sale_JmkzMjczMjI.htm?LanguageID=da&CurID=DKK

DennisThornton

Ah man that is truly awesome!  What a neat and relatively clean mod!  Overwhelming...  And I suppose disappointing for I fear I will never have one!

If somehow Toro or someone could have/would have successfully promoted attachments like this the 5??xi's might still be alive toay!  John Deere had more attachments!  Not necessarily a better tractor!

I want to sincerely thank you for the extra effort to take and post the pictures!  You've contributed something special to the forum!  If you think you might have missed a shot please post some more!

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Dennys502

I remember the prototype but I can't remember who made it.

I got an email this morning that said the broom was never offered - probably due to lack of demand.

Modifying one to fit wouldn't be too hard but they are pretty expensive to start with.

It's amazing where the tractors wound up.

• Like 1

Steffen_Brandt

Thank you Dennis. I do believe it is odd, that no machine manufacture in the US made similar attachments to both the xi and the classic gt s.

But I think your idea with that john deere sweepster is absolutely possible. If I were you, I would go ahead and buy it!

• Like 2