farmer

How long a tow,to how long a mow.

farmer

Cutting my grass this afternoon my mind drifted off to Horsefixer's thread on long hauls, got me thinking about long mows. I know I can't possibly have the largest but here's how I figure mine out. 

If I'm in the zone it takes me 1 1/4 hours to cut my grass, I think :wh: claimed their charger 12 with a 4 foot deck could cut an acre in 40 minutes, so allowing for trees and turns (and simple maths)  I'm going to say an acre. 

My season starts in March and can go up to Christmas, but I'll say finishes end of November. Average once a week mow. 

That's 36 acres/season or 24 football pitches. 

So come on amaze me...:chores-mowlawn:  B)

• Like 6

JPWH

I have never thought about it but I cut just under 2 acres about your same season. It takes me about 1.5 hrs. So about 50 acres.

• Like 2

953 nut

Depending on the year I probably mow 20 to 24 times a year and have a little under two acres of lawn, takes around two hours, I must have more trees to trim around than Jay :ychain: (I enjoy the seat time) so that could be about 45 acres;     45 hours of seat time.  :woohoo:

• Like 3

farmer

It's strange, as a farmer l can picture how big a fifty acre field is, if someone told me to cut it with a garden tractor with a foot deck I'm not sure exactly what I'd tell them! :teasing-tease:

• Like 3

JPWH
42 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Depending on the year I probably mow 20 to 24 times a year and have a little under two acres of lawn, takes around two hours, I must have more trees to trim around than Jay :ychain: (I enjoy the seat time) so that could be about 45 acres;     45 hours of seat time.  :woohoo:

I only have 5 trees to cut around Richard and a swing set and a pool and a coy pond and a camper. But I don't use my WH for grass cutting. My wife bought me a toro zero turn late last summer.:ph34r:

• Like 1

prondzy

Well i guess im ashamed? :think: to say that i just cut my lawn in 2 hours it is 3/4 acre. But i enjoy the seat time and have lots to go around. Oh dis i mention it was on a commando 8 with a 36RD deck in 2nd gear like the manual states? Did i mention i enjoy the seat time?:auto-driving:

• Like 2

farmer

I'm not going to lie, seat time is usually quality time,

thinking time, 

reflection time. 

But sometimes it's,

get the f#cking job done time!  :)

• Like 5

Boox

A few years back I took my handheld GPS and taped it to the hood of my mower tractor. Now I mow about 3.5 acres with a 42" deck so i let the GPS track me and when done I showed i had traveled 6.8 miles in about 2.5 hours. Now, use a 48" deck and cut back to about 2.25 acres and finish in about an hour and a half.  It's all good times tho...love my Wheel horses and my Simplicitys, seat time is MY time.

• Like 1

farmer

Nice to have you aboard Boox welcome to RS, l know exactly what you mean about 'my time', for however long it takes you can forget your worries and switch off.  

• Like 1