nrowles

Turn Key - Nothing

nrowles

I have a 1981 C-145.  I used this tractor a month ago to plow snow and all operated fine.  Went to start it today and nothing happens when I turn the key.  The battery is reading 95% charge so it is not the battery itself.  I'm mechanically inclined when I know what to do.  What are the steps I should take to test this problem?

SylvanLakeWH

Check:

1. fuses.

2. ground wires. (This one happened to me just a few months back - Black Hood tilt hoods apparently are famous for losing ground due to the hinge...Re-did ground wire to a frame bolt and works like a charm...)

3. all electrical connections.

4. that the PTO handle is fully disengaged. (Don't ask why I know about this one...)

Good luck!

• Like 3

gwest_ca

Garry

nrowles

I just ran jumper cables from the battery to the starter.  Red and black on battery.  Black on frame and red on starter nut.  At first touch there were some light sparks with starter doing nothing and now there are no sparks at all.  I used a second battery and no sparks or anything from the starter.  Would this be a good indication of fried starter?

nylyon

Run the negative to the engine itself and try the key, maybe bad ground? You can always take the starter off and get it checked 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Remove and clean the ground wire between the engine and the frame around the rocker plate.

• Like 3