BESTDOGEVER

Little hole big problem

BESTDOGEVER

So last week I finally put the m18 together to swap out the onan in the 518h everything went smoothly and it ran really nice until the oil started to shoot out of the side by the oil filter cover. At first I thought it was the gasket then I saw the 3/16 hole between the oil dipstick and filter cover.Sooo.....now what can I use to patch that?  The block is aluminum and is somewhat corroded and pitted there . Any ideas 

6bg6ga

Can you post a picture?

Jerry77

Don't know if it will work in your situation, but a friend of mine used J B Weld on an old engine block to patch cracks in the block and put it in a home built dragster and took it to Bonneville salt flats to try for a world record at 200 mph in the class that he entered...I helped him get the car running and he took it, but never got over 180mph.. engine never failed tho...it was a four cylinder cast iron block from the 1930's...It was hard for me to believe that about using the J B Weld, but it worked fine...might not on aluminum - don't know.. :)

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I think they make JB Weld for aluminum now.  :)

• Like 1

N3PUY

I used JBWeld to reinstall a very loose valve seat.  Worked just fine!

Sold it and it may still be running.

• Like 1

6bg6ga
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I think they make JB Weld for aluminum now.  :)

I'll go with the JB Weld aluminum. I believe I've seen it.

• Like 1

cschannuth

I've used JB weld a few times over the last couple years and it is unbelievable how well it works. I even used it to reattach one of the screw tabs on the transmission tunnel that holds the belt cover in place on my 606 roller/Predator build. There's not much metal there to hold onto but it's held up well for a long time. 

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

Thanks all for the input jbweld is one of the thoughts I had. I guess I should get busy tearing it down to be sure that there is no other problems I will keep you posted. Ernie 

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard

my dads old pulling buddy would use jb weld to patch cast iron kohler blocks. sadly the guy is dead. i would of loved to sat and learned stuff. dads other pulling buddy is losing his mind and is legally blind so i cant learn much from him now either.

BESTDOGEVER

Just an update on this I finally got a chance to get it cleaned up in between monsoons and found about 5 more pinhole spots in the same area the first coat of jb weld got them I got the biggest hole covered today so hopefully the 3rd coat will finish it up tomorrow I am shooting for a Friday test run thanks again for the input 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Did you find and use the JB for Aluminum??  Inquiring minds need to know.  :)

• Like 3

BESTDOGEVER

Nope the guys at  Napa said use the original stuff and I remember using it for my chain saw and it still is good 

• Like 2

smoreau

JB weld has been in my tool box for years! The stuff has so many uses and works on many things from copper iron steel alluminum and plastic. Great stuff !!

• Like 2

953 nut

I restored a 1919 American Lafrance Fire Engine for a historical museum several years ago. The engine water pump was corroded badly but I wasn't able to find a replacement and resorted to JB Weld. That was in the late '80s and it is still working.

• Like 2

BESTDOGEVER

I finally got the 518h put back together and mowed for about 3 hours.  So far no smoke, oil leaks, scary noises or such like. Not claiming success but so far it's working 

• Like 1

953 nut

:woohoo:

• Like 1

Dakota8338
On 5/28/2017 at 8:33 PM, BESTDOGEVER said:

I finally got the 518h put back together and mowed for about 3 hours.  So far no smoke, oil leaks, scary noises or such like. Not claiming success but so far it's working 

If if held for 3 hours, I doubt you will have any further problems where the repair weld was conducted.

• Like 1

Dakota8338

I like & use J B Weld.  Have never found it disappointing, but for larger damage where cast iron is involved, technology has drastically changed the super difficulty in welding cast iron. 

Magna Industries Co., Limited magnagroup.com has produced the Magna 770 rods in three sizes which makes welding cast iron easy.  The Magna 770 rods provide perfect machinable welds on nearly all types of cast iron without preheating.  The welds have a higher tensile strength than most types of cast iron so they won't crack.  They even work on dirty and oily cast iron, although cleaning the object to be welded is recommended, but for those instances where cleaning is not possible, it is not necessary.  These rods are popular for repairing any type of cast iron that is not easily replaceable.  Welds from these rods can handle high RPM's and compression, so they can be used to repair cast iron engine blocks and cylinder heads.  The Magna 770 rods can also be used as a transition rod between cast iron and steel.  All one needs to do is build us a layer of the Magna 770 rod and then weld lower cost steel rods on top of it. 

The 770's come in three sizes:  3/32, 1/8 & 5/32 and can be used with either AC or DC current, and they do not require high temperatures.  The two smaller rods work with any cracker box welder, even the smallest.  The 3/32 rods requires only 40 - 85 amps, while the 1/8 requires 60 - 100 amps, and the larger 5/32 rod only requires 90 - 140 amps.  Magna also has specialty rods for other welding applications.

I am not connected with the Magna company in any shape form or fashion.  The information presented here is strictly FYI. 

But if you decide to try the Magna rods, please be forewarned they are extremely expensive, but for what they can do, I guess that reduces the sharpness of their cost somewhat.  Yes that price, starts at about $150/pound.

DennisThornton

$150 a pound!  Holy crap!  But, like you said, for what they can do and if they are as easy to use as describe they would certainly have a purpose.  I've welded cast a whole lot cheaper though but the traditional process is not very forgiving and not easy done in many cases.  I've preheated an entire Kohler block with a hole in the side from a rod in a wood stove, welded with nickel rod and slowly cooled in the same wood stove with lots of ashes and gotten a good weld. And I've welded a spot, stopped and peened, welded more, stopped and peened and gotten good welds.  Cast iron is certainly weldable, just not with standard techniques, and most will fail if they try to weld it like common steel.  In some cases brazing will work fine.

However, lots of breaks in cast iron are NOT structural and need only to be filled in and JB Weld and many other products can work fine!

ohiofarmer

Just a little tip on placing the JB weld. it can be a little runny or thin if applied to vertical surfaces. Just take a sandwich bag and you can take your fingers and mold it into place. After it cures, just take the bag off

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

6bg6ga

If it ain't a leaking leave it alone.

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

Just a quick update so far I have had 2 scary oil issues, the first one was the oil filter started leaking right away so that led to scrapping the addition of an oil filter, the second came last week while mowing and I had oil going everywhere  I looked at the repair and it was good  but I had oil all over again after some closer inspection I found the oil pressure switch had worked loose. When it rains it pours. But 3 more hours of mowing and the oil is still full 

• Like 1

Dakota8338
On 6/6/2017 at 9:55 PM, DennisThornton said:

$150 a pound!  Holy crap!  But, like you said, for what they can do and if they are as easy to use as describe they would certainly have a purpose.  I've welded cast a whole lot cheaper though but the traditional process is not very forgiving and not easy done in many cases.  I've preheated an entire Kohler block with a hole in the side from a rod in a wood stove, welded with nickel rod and slowly cooled in the same wood stove with lots of ashes and gotten a good weld. And I've welded a spot, stopped and peened, welded more, stopped and peened and gotten good welds.  Cast iron is certainly weldable, just not with standard techniques, and most will fail if they try to weld it like common steel.  In some cases brazing will work fine.

However, lots of breaks in cast iron are NOT structural and need only to be filled in and JB Weld and many other products can work fine!

You are right cast iron can be welded, but welding cast iron is not for the novice or inexperienced welder.  Time adds its own value to the task involved and the time involved in welding cast iron by old time methods certainly increases the cost of that process. 

• Like 1