HeyMrP

Mower deck opinions wanted

HeyMrP

Hey all. My 310 came with two decks. One side discharge that is good and this rear discharge with a big honking rust hole. The rest of the deck is solid. 

What do you all think should be done with it? Pay someone to weld it (and then keep it), sell as is, sell parts off it, or scrap it?

IMG_2082.JPG

Edited by HeyMrP
Got it wrong
  • Like 2

lynnmor

If that is the only serious rust, I would weld in a patch.  The decks build up a thick glob of grass right there and need to be cleaned after every use.  Isn't that a rear discharge in the photo?   Looks like some cheap lawnmower wheels are on it and need to be replaced as well.

• Like 2

953 nut

I am partial to the rear discharge mowers, so I would say fix it. All the parts from it can be used to keep your other deck going so if you decide not to repair it just store it in case you need a spindle later on.

• Like 3

HeyMrP
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

If that is the only serious rust, I would weld in a patch.  The decks build up a thick glob of grass right there and need to be cleaned after every use.  Isn't that a rear discharge in the photo?   Looks like some cheap lawnmower wheels are on it and need to be replaced as well.

Yup, I did it backwards (fixed now). The rear discharge has the big honking hole and the side discharge is good. 

That is is the only bad rust. Some surface rust, but if the deck is worth saving I'll clean it up good and repainted it.

1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

I am partial to the rear discharge mowers, so I would say fix it. All the parts from it can be used to keep your other deck going so if you decide not to repair it just store it in case you need a spindle later on.

I've never had a rear discharge mower, but it seems like a good idea. Think I'll look for a local welder to get a price!

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I really like the rear discharge decks you can trim close to a lot of things and all the grass blows out behind. I find that the RD deck does not leave clumps all over the yard , if the grass is tall.

• Like 3

doc724

I have a slightly different opinion.  First, I am a bit of a perfectionist.  Every deck I have refurbished has cost me $100-200.  Of course when I am done, you will be hard pressed to tell a refurb from a new one.    If a deck has been abused this much there is likely more problems lurking.  I would first disassemble the whole thing and find out what else it needs.  Pay special attention to the center spindle.  The pull from the PTO belt tends to tip these spindles in the direction of the pull.  Now you have to straighten the shell or else it will cut funny.  It may be a problem on your manicured front lawn but not on the back 40.  Add up all the costs.  If you can do the welding yourself, great, I cannot so this is an expense item for me.  After you have scoped out the costs, if you still think it is a good value, then I would go for it.  If not, you have your answer.

• Like 2

Lee1977

I say fix it. I would and I really don't like rear discharge decks. It's a Wheel Horse deck and you may need it later.

• Like 2

farmer

I'd be in the 'fix it camp' as well, based on what you've said about it's general condition. For cutting longer or wet grass the RD does a better job and is Easier on the tractor. :twocents-twocents:

• Like 2

Tankman

The Ms. loves rear discharge decks, tows a sweeper when mowing.

Remove some bolts around the rusted out area, form a patch.

Bolt the patch in place using existing hardware and factory holes.

I use 16 ga galvanized steel. Tack (stitch) weld in place.

Now remove the hardware again. Paint clean welds and steel well. Rustoleum Regal Red, always on the shelf at Home "Cheapo".

The underside of the deck paint first, any paint sittin' on the shelf. Who's going to look there?

I put the deck on long saw horses, easy to turn or flip over as needed.

Replace hardware, get mowin'. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Pictured below is a 48" SD deck. Patch in place before stitch welding.

All hardware was removed after welding, prepped and painted. Reassembled, new hardware, Never-Seez on hardware threads (of course), new deck belt (Huskee Kevlar (TSC)), grease (new zerk fittings).

Note C-clamp. Held a bent part of the deck tight for stich welds.

Deck_Rehab.jpg.1a123af496d5cd9e51269ce3d803b2f3.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Molon_Labe

I would definitely fix that deck. I once bought a tractor I didn't need just because it came with one of those decks, and it was worth every penny.

• Like 2

HeyMrP

Thanks for all the input!

• Like 1

HeyMrP

So almost 3 years later... I did fix this deck and have used it for 2 seasons now I think.  I'll update this with a pic of the repaired version. So glad I took the time to fix it. For my purposes the rear discharge is perfect!

• Like 1