redbeard22

Stretched frame?

redbeard22

Hey everyone, i tried the search option and didnt find anything but i was wondering if anybody has any info on stretching the frame of a wheel horse or any pictures of one that has been done. I read something online about stretching to a 56 inch wheel base. Is this a popular modification? Has anyone out there done this and have any pics? 

• Like 1

farmer

Hi Redbeard22, 

Here are some pictures from a project l'm doing at the moment..

IMG_0626.thumb.JPG.9398c9048b6dd62a1b813b52f241aae8.JPG

IMG_0627.thumb.JPG.bd086fcfc8648619fb2297e689565b10.JPG

IMG_0637.thumb.JPG.ec67700ea54809b7ae65cd552ada27f0.JPG

This is for a rear wheel steer loading shovel, I lengthened the frame 440mm, but, as you can see from the last pic, it is bolted to a heavy subframe. 

Just be mindful that unless you strengthen the frame, it could be vulnerable depending on what you use it for.  :twocents-twocents: :)

• Like 5

953 nut

:WRS:      Haven't done it myself (yet) but it has been done.

58f9e1fb6a2bf_bigshowsaturday006.thumb.JPG.b9396877dbc50fc323082ce9d6d37629.JPG

• Like 4

redbeard22

Wow nice pics. I wasnt thinking of going that extreme maybe just like 6 to 8 inches or so to give the tractor a little bit larger of a look. Maybe like a sub-sub compact size if you know what i mean. In between a standard garden tractor and say a cub lowboy or something like that. Stretch the frame and hood a bit, add a 2 cylinder engine, and sone how make the stance a little wider too. Is there a front axle from one specific model that is wider then all the others or would that have to be custom made? Im just picturing something like and old tractor my grandfather had the front axle was really wide but i think doing that then the tractor needs to be stretched a bit to get the proportions rite. Anybody agree or am i just being crazy?

ri702bill

Red:

Looking at Farmer's middle picture brings one thing to mind - frame twist. The cast iron ears on the lower steering support that spans the angles will not tolerate much twist without breaking - seen this on a few round hoods used for plowing. Adding steel cross bracing, like as in ladder rungs, help but may not eliminate the problem. His subframe will help to withstand twist.

Bill

WHX??

Other side of the tractor that Dick posted.

20160624_090630.jpg

He must have the angles beefed up some how to carry the weight. Even small block 8's aren't exactly feather weight.

• Like 2

redbeard22

Im starting to get some ideas goin i was thinking instead of cutting the frame and adding pieces in i could cut the original angle iron off of the transmission mounting plate and make new frame rails out of some heavier angle and add in the 3/4 round bar for the foot rests. Then the frame wouldnt have as maby weak spots from adding pieces in. It appears the original frame is 1/4 inch thick angle maybe substitute 3/8 thick angle and stretch a bit? I want to get started on this project soon but im looking to buy a house and move in the next 2 months and then get my new shop set up so i dont know if i will get started on it or not thanks for all the info and suggestions

farmer

Different way to reduce any weakness,

IMG_1283.thumb.JPG.d07322b3b4b4ec87c16f167f73c802c6.JPG

well at at least it would stagger it? :twocents-twocents:

• Like 1

redbeard22

I like that idea to anyone know about the front axles if there is one model that is wider the another?

19richie66

This is stretched out to 48". I cut off the back plate and used two new pieces of 2" angle. I welded them back to the original back plate and then made a new back plate that fit behind the original for more strength. I will add cross braces as needed for floor and steering rack.

IMG_3301.JPG

IMG_3302.JPG

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 4

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, redbeard22 said:

I like that idea to anyone know about the front axles if there is one model that is wider the another?

Yep the 520H...its already wider longer and a twin cylinder, Jeff.

IMAG2479.jpg

IMAG2481.jpg

• Like 1

redbeard22

Nice i like the cab. How do they offset the wheels in the back is it just the offset of the wheels, hubs or spacers?

redbeard22

I guess i should tell everyone why i neef all this info. I have an 8 speed rear with 1 1/8 axles that i would like to use with possibly a 520-8 frame and front axle but with sheet metal off of an older tractor and stretching the hood to make it long enough. I have 2 commando 6 tractors a 655 i believe and i think the other is a 604 i think it is missing alot of stuff. I have pics of most of them on my other post when i saved them from goin to the junk yard. The one commando 6 i purchased years ago had the 8 speed trans in and a locked up kohler engine. I will be posting some of the parts from those teactors in the for sale section maybe do some "horse trading" to get what i need for this project. If i use a 520 frame or stretch one to be the same as a 520 would i be able to use a mower deck from a 520 also?

953 nut
5 minutes ago, redbeard22 said:

If i use a 520 frame or stretch one to be the same as a 520 would i be able to use a mower deck from a 520 also?

I see no reason you couldn't use the mower, it has no idea what the sheet metal looks like. Looking forward to following your project.  

redbeard22

Ok good that will be nice being able to run a larger mower deck. Can anyone out there get me some measurements of the total length of a 520 frame maybe from trans mounting plate to the front thanks

littleredrider

I had a Frankenstein tractor with a 520 frame, 60s front axle, 8-speed rear, rear fenders off a 1045, and everything else was roughly a 1277, but long frame mid 60s style. I had a plow, snow blower, mower deck, all older stuff and went on the 520s frame no problem. Whatever attachment you use, just need the correct parts to use it. Mule drives, mounts, etc. I had a 10 horse diesel in it, and even with change of pulleys to make it faster, it couldn't be slowed down. Had to stand on the front axle to keep from pulling a wheelie while pulling a heavy trailer. Might be able to get some offset wheels to make it wider, but then putting a lot of stress on axle, spindle and bearings....

• Like 1

redbeard22

Well i was doing some searching online and found a guy thay used a front axle from a john deere 200 series to widen the front end and that axle uses 1 inch spindles just have to make custom tie rods to attach to the steering bracket. I have a john deere 110 that i can pull the axle out of and use cause im already going to use the rear tiresa and wheels off of it and maybe the 10 horse kohler from it too, should be interesting

• Like 1

roadapples
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:25 PM, redbeard22 said:

Ok good that will be nice being able to run a larger mower deck. Can anyone out there get me some measurements of the total length of a 520 frame maybe from trans mounting plate to the front thanks

520 frame is the same length as any other long frame. Just a heavier plate were the trans bolts up...

redbeard22

Ok im thinking about stretching this frame from a comando 6 to fit this hood that i have. Another member posted that they believe this hood is from a raider 10? The frame from the comando 6 is 33 inches from the transaxle mounting plate to the front. I need about 3 to 4 inches to make the frame fit the hood. Would a raider 10 be a mid or long frame and doea anyone have a measurement from one?

11111.JPEG

222222.JPEG

And where would be the best place to add a piece in to the frame? I was thinking in front of the plates that bolt on the frame for attaching things like the mower deck that way none of that changes and also drive belt length could stay the same. Then it would just have a little extra room in front of the engine and of course extend the steering shaft that runs to the front.