pacer

D-180 hyd motor seals

pacer

My D-180 has developed a leak at manifold to motor. I have located all the O rings but cant find the "seal washer" that goes under the 1/2" bolt head (part # 102817) Item # 21 in the pic. I think this is probably called (at least I think) a "crush" washer" usually made of brass that will compress when tightened - and I imagine is critical to prevent a leak....

I cant determine just where/what the leak is from, oil seems to pool all around the manifold. Obviously once I disconnect it, all the O rings etc will need to be replaced

iplimage_php.thumb.png.aa3f9a003010ed413c4ba0a0084825e8.png

• Like 1

daveoman1966

How good are you with a soldering iron? ? ?  Using # 10 or larger COPPER WIRING, form it into a circle around the 3/4 or 1/2 in bolt and solder the ends together.  This wire is usually soft and would imitate the properties of a copper crush washer.  MAYBE   .... ? ? ?  # 6 or 8 wire may be better...donno for sure.

pacer

Well Dave, I was sorta counting on you since you seem to know these horses - and their parts - inside out:lol: but, I have to say the wire trick has possibilities! and I will definitely pursue that if it gets to that point.

gwest_ca

Copper gaskets/washers are available for the 1/2" drain plugs in automotive oil pans. Visit your local automotive jobber.

Garry

• Like 1

pfrederi

Copper crush washers are also used in automotive brake line fittings.  I have used sealing washers like this with no leaks.

seal.JPG

pacer

Well Paul I think you have solved my 'quest' -- shoulda known McMaster would have them:blink: Course it helps to have the proper name for them "sealing washers" instead of 'crush' washers. I'll get them on order and they should be here mon or tues.

By golly the forum has solved another problem!! Gotta love it when you can get an answer on something like this and go on about your business.

pfrederi

PM  your address i will mail you a couple 1/2" washers

pacer

Paul, I went ahead and made up an order from Mcmaster - I usually have a few items on a "next time I make an order" list and I added a couple other things while I was at it. But that is an awfully nice offer you made and I thank you for it - and for identifying "sealing washers"

Ive got the O rings coming from Jacks so next week I get to tear into it - not really looking forward to it ... nasty/messy!

pfrederi
50 minutes ago, pacer said:

Paul, I went ahead and made up an order from Mcmaster - I usually have a few items on a "next time I make an order" list and I added a couple other things while I was at it. But that is an awfully nice offer you made and I thank you for it - and for identifying "sealing washers"

Ive got the O rings coming from Jacks so next week I get to tear into it - not really looking forward to it ... nasty/messy!

No problem...Too bad you ordered from Jack's.  i figured out the standard Dash # for the two size of O rings and bought bags of 100 from McMaster for less than the price for 4 rings...have a "few" left..:P

Edited by pfrederi

pacer

Yeah, the 'conventional' O rings arent a problem and have found them locally, but the flat 'spacer?' ring I wasnt having much luck with and Jacks had them soooo. Last time I was into this tractor I reused the flat ones and also reused the sealing washer -- and, well thats probably where/why I got a leak!:-o

pfrederi
21 minutes ago, pacer said:

Yeah, the 'conventional' O rings arent a problem and have found them locally, but the flat 'spacer?' ring I wasnt having much luck with and Jacks had them soooo. Last time I was into this tractor I reused the flat ones and also reused the sealing washer -- and, well thats probably where/why I got a leak!:-o

Wish I could have helped

backup.JPG