HorseFixer

YOUR FARTHEST TRACTOR TRIP(s)

HorseFixer

After going back through this post it is AMAZING how much each one of these tractors has it's own individual story, and memories to tell. Al-tho we all want to get the best price and as cheap as possible, the money and heartache spent is well worth it in the end as it is part of that tractors story. I guess It's the stories and the memories attached to that tractor that makes them so valuable. No wonder that's why we do what we do. :handgestures-thumbupright:   

• Like 2

bmsgaffer
On 4/20/2017 at 10:47 PM, HorseFixer said:

My Second farthest tractor trip was from Niles to Marquette Michigan in the Upper Peninsula a  508 mile trip 1 way or round trip of 1016 miles. In search for wheel horse tractors back in May of 2008 I came across a guy who had a 1054 with Deck Wagon and Vac System. He was from South Bend and later moved to Marquette and ended up being a Deputy Sheriff   :law-police:   for Marquette he worked up through the ranks and many years later retired from there. He then went back to work  as Under-sheriff. When he found out that I worked for Berrien County Sheriffs Dept he gave it to me for free  :greetings-clapyellow:   with the stipulation that I would buy him and his wife dinner after he gave us a tour of the town. My wife MaryJane went with me, and we had a good time we left early Friday and arrived that evening. The Next day we met Jack and his wife loaded up the tractor and spent the day with them site seeing then had dinner with them that evening. The next morning we left for home. Thank goodness the tractor and all was free because fuel was over 4.00 a gal I estimate the trip meals, fuel, motels cost me $700.00 so I guess nothing is free. :hide:

My wife's cousins live in Marquette, MI. That is an amazingly beautiful part of the country, we went up there to visit for a long weekend. Long drive though, I think it was right around 12 hours from here.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:34 PM, 953 nut said:

My first :wh: road trip after retirement was great. I departed Fort Pierce, Florida to visit my Mom in Syracuse NY for a few days (1.300 miles) then on to LeRoy MI (570 miles) to pick up a :wh: RJ-58; next stop was Coldwater MI (220 miles) for a :wh: '57 RJ-35 then on to Danville KY (375 miles) to load a :wh: Suburban 400; then on to our newly acquired Franklin NC home (280 miles). Total of 2,745 miles. Had to remove the rear wheels of the '58 to get two RJs in the bed of the old '96 Dakota. I had the pleasure of meeting some real nice people along the way too.

364.thumb.jpg.e4f120c032a4a3dab252c96a4c635fb4.jpg58f9280e1a49c_twoRJsans400.thumb.jpg.f91d6e2871654df2e524fef893c59191.jpg

953 nut all on a Harbor Freight trailer  amazing. Nice haul by the way.

• Like 3

CTBT&D

I believe it was 2012, from Greenville, Michigan to north of Bristol, Connecticut (can't remember exactly where) for a 520-8. And last year from home to between Staunton and Greenville, VA for another 520-8.

58fb4d879f43b_MitoConnecticut.png.fa3928737bf77877de6d39ef69f98089.png. 58fb4c4d6f841_MitoStauntonVA.png.59d15b37fd20f844be8fdd440a6f37a0.png

• Like 2

Texas Todd

My dad (82) has accompanied me on all but one of my 7 out of state horse runs. The ole preacher doesnt give a flip about the tractors but he enjoys time away with me and enjoys meeting the many nice folks we have met in the hobby. Whenever he comes over to see what I am working on he always asks "which trip did that one come from?" And we then relive the things that happened on that trip. 

Good times indeed......I just wish he would help turn a wrench now and again......:think:

• Like 8

WHX??

What better karma can a guy have than a clergyman along on his horse runs! Maybe it's best he doesn't pick up a nine sixteenth! :)

• Like 2

HorseFixer

WoW some great Stories!  My next STAR STUDDED CLUSTER MUCK  is a trip from Niles to a farm outside Shelby, NC. 694 miles 1 way or round trip 1388 miles It was to pick up a Suburban 400 that I purchased on Flee Bay. I waited till Labor day weekend being a County Govmt. Employee I get a three DAYER so I took Friday off too! (we call that MAXIMIZING) our holidays!  :D  Anyway that gave me 4 days. I had friends that Lived in Mountain City Tenn and I would stop there and spend the night. I have a friend that lives in Indianapolis so to have some company I would spend the night at his place and we would take off early Sat morn then drive to Tenn spend the night PU tractor Sunday Morn, Spend the Night In Tenn, Then take back for home Monday. Well on this Trip I lost a wrist pin in a piston and the damn engine sounded like it was going to go at any second. The noise started on my way down just north of Indy and continued the whole trip. When I got to my Buddy's place In Indy I called my Mechanic Buddy back in my home town and he told me to find an AMSOIL Dealer and change my Oil to Synthetics So on his recommendation I did. In the end It was my belief and my mechanics also that driving over 1200 miles on a bad wrist pin with the engine hammering like that it was, it was a miracle that I ever made it home. Anyway other than the gut wrenching noise the whole way the trip went okay although I think I would have enjoyed it much better without the engine trouble!  :mellow:  I mean how can you enjoy yourself with something hanging over you like that and possibly being stuck in no wheres ville at any second up in the mountains?    :confusion-shrug:    When I got home within 2 weeks there was a Brand New  Rebuilt Engine in my Jeep. So I really can't add the cost of an Engine to that tractor as most likely it would have happened sooner or later.  :whistle:

SHELBY.thumb.png.21f7f9ec9d7f4418e648b1e43901d2a5.png  MtnPicts.JPG.a0d0df2c02067ae6235a280fcffd5f64.JPG

58fbb1ab9a7ca_TRIP050.thumb.jpg.3aa12c7afd1248821e92ff5b661f5f32.jpg

5ae5_12.jpg.c865d54101a54bf6b669b4969a3b3e67.jpg

5bbf_12.jpg.9b0aeb085aa7404c3cb34f4b9caaac37.jpg

5c5c_12.jpg.e4f1ad17d443d948fcdf1b0a5fdde00a.jpg

Img_2258.thumb.jpg.1a603f33f984c871e27948b1d90a6ea6.jpg

Img_2259.thumb.jpg.cceed54bdd182b22aa177c5a18ec6290.jpg

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

My longest trip so  far was about 450 miles round trip . Picked up a 42" rd deck . tie rods, 2  1970  style gas tanks and an Electric tool lift ( Don't ask @Fun Engineer words not mine). Meet some great guys from all over the country , Played "Where is that guy with @squonk on Friday ,missed all the Fun on Friday due to a migraine ( I will never stay on the second floor of the Comfort Inn again) . Ran around Saturday AM looking at all the great :wh: ( had a camera never took a picture) and meeting as many great folks as I could. Give you a hint don't to the Big Show without your "Mash Pole Sign"  Howard @857 horse will keep bring it up all year. Did learn that @stevasaurus rock &rye cup will hold water. Best time I have ever had.

I may be able to make the trip this year ,but not sure at this time.

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Like 8

953 nut
8 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Harbor Freight trailer 

And a four cylinder five speed Dakota with about 180K on the odometer at the time.

• Like 5

Texas Todd
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

And a four cylinder five speed Dakota with about 180K on the odometer at the time.

Now that's living on the edge!!

• Like 2

953 nut
25 minutes ago, Texas Todd said:

Now that's living on the edge!!

That little Dodge towed several loads of stuff from Florida to North Carolina, some were as heavy as the truck not including the weight of the trailer. Some of the mountain roads had me down to third gear at 30 MPH but it pulled fine and the trailer brakes saved the day on the down hill grades.

• Like 5

Retired Wrencher
21 hours ago, Texas Todd said:

My dad (82) has accompanied me on all but one of my 7 out of state horse runs. The ole preacher doesnt give a flip about the tractors but he enjoys time away with me and enjoys meeting the many nice folks we have met in the hobby. Whenever he comes over to see what I am working on he always asks "which trip did that one come from?" And we then relive the things that happened on that trip. 

Good times indeed......I just wish he would help turn a wrench now and again......:think:

Todd those times he comes over are priceless. Enjoy them while you can. Maybe set up a video camera for memories.

• Like 5

Texas Todd
1 hour ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Todd those times he comes over are priceless. Enjoy them while you can. Maybe set up a video camera for memories.

Not a bad idea! Went and heard him preach Easter.....He still has it after all these years. Quite a guy!

Edited by Texas Todd
  • Like 4

Retired Wrencher

Thanks Todd. You only have one chance while they are here.

• Like 1

new2horses

Duke,

You and several others have me beat on the miles thing, but I think I win when it comes to numbers. See attached::D There are 18 tractors there along with some choice attachments and other goodies. Duke,:ph34r: you know where this was taken!

IMG_0431.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

HorseFixer

Dave, That was Quite a Haul!  :handgestures-thumbupright:   Well and you can thank yer Ole Buddy DUKE for that one!  ;)   And by Hauling them out along with the rest I sold for the Guy I can thank you cause it Landed Me the Pick of the Litter My Senior. Here's to hoping you and Denise are doing well miss you guys. :(

Why do good Friends always have to live so far away! :confusion-confused:

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 2

ericj
11 hours ago, new2horses said:

Duke,

You and several others have me beat on the miles thing, but I think I win when it comes to numbers. See attached::D There are 18 tractors there along with some choice attachments and other goodies. Duke,:ph34r: you know where this was taken!

IMG_0431.JPG

that rig would be illegal in PA. that has to be a Cummin's  pulling that rig, that is pretty impressive to do donuts with that set up  :ROTF:

eric j

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wh315-8

Road Trips are no biggie for me. I drive 18 wheeler tanker within 250 mile radius of Canton, OH. But I can't haul WH in a tanker. My wife & I have made several WH road trips. OH to State College, PA 250 miles for a 1986 417-8 with a 12HP Kohler to put in it. 100 miles across OH for my 1964 34R. 1 day trip 12 hours, OH to Niles, MI N of South Bend, IN 355 miles; yes we went past the old factory. For 2 32" snow throwers, 60's models. For 34R parts went to Rittman, OH 57 miles. Another OH trip 234 miles 1 way for my 1970 Raider 10. 360 miles to Vinton, VA to pick up my 1995 520H & Mower & Snow Thrower. Soon to Portland, IN tractor show 230 miles to pick up dozer blade & mower for 34R. Seems crazy but I love the drives and seeing old country I used to drive years ago. Building up my collection to rebuild into my retirement years. My 2003 315-8 I bought new was only 30 miles away. I traded a 1978 C-141  I grew up with for 25 years as part of the deal, now wished I would have kept it. Didn't have WH fever as I do now. Pics in my profile.

• Like 2

Wild Bill in VA

Well there was the time while in California I stopped in at the Wheel Horse dealer in Lodi, California to see if there really was a RJ-58 there like I had heard (they also had a  701 and some D series of which they had been a Wheel Horse dealer for long time). The owner let me rummage through his parts department and I purchased quite a few rare parts including some HY-3 pieces (all still in original parts envelopes). Him and his wife then took us out to In and Out Burger for lunch . Not sure about the distance but from Richmond VA it's a long ride.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ericj

since I posted above I went to Michigan in July of 17 and brought a trailer load back, 5 for other  people and 2 for myself. The trip main reason was a 520-H with loader from @smoreau Me and my copilot Garret left my house at midnight Friday and drove for over 1300 miles and 27 1/2 hrs returning at 4 am Sunday morning. It was well worth the trip 

eric j

DSCN1462.JPG

DSCN1463.JPG

DSCN1464.JPG

DSCN1467.JPG

DSCN1468.JPG

DSCN1469.JPG

DSCN1470.JPG

DSCN1471.JPG

DSCN1472.JPG

• Like 1

Bear G

We chased from Northern Ohio to Crystal River, Fla. to pick up “The Beast” we bought from Bob Beck. 

4BD0A597-F764-4679-910B-D635B9819F6C.png

7A9FB57F-844F-498C-B49D-F532104E8BDD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell

Well, I just go back from @T-Mo's place to pick up my GT14!! It was 625 miles round trip, but I made a pit stop overnight in my hometown so it wasn't so bad. 

20180714_121639.jpg

20180715_160723.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

wh315-8

I'm at it again. As stated in a earlier post, I made it to Portland IN for the Tri State Gas Engine & Tractor Show. While there I got my Lawn Ranger dozer blade. But in route I stopped in Marengo OH and bought a 1964 Jacobsen Chief 800 w/36" deck. (Had to have a donkey in my herd.) Than from the show I went North to Ft Wayne/Leo, IN and bought my 704 w/36" deck. This was a 546 mile round trip. If you have never been to the Tri State Show, it is well worth the trip, lots of tractors, parts and crafts for the wife. A lot of WH's to see. But take a pair of boots; it gets muddy if it rains. This was the Aug show and am told the spring time show is more Lawn/Garden equipment. I plan to go next spring. This week I went to Somerset, VA to get my bucket list tractor, the 1964 1054. It was a 744 mile round trip. This tractor runs strong had no attachments but was well worth it.

Picture0911181350_3.jpg

Picture0907182330_1.jpg

Picture0827181116_1.jpg

Edited by wh315-8
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

That Chief is nice and would be a donkey welcome in my herd. They are somewhat in demand around here. 1054 looks real nice too! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1