JPWH

Lathe advice needed

JPWH

I have an opportunity to purchase a Logan 400 lathe from a co-worker but I don't know what to look for as far as pricing goes. I have only seen a picture so far and it looks pretty good. It does have some surface rust. Any advice or options will be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 2

WHX??

Boy I dunno Hank is this a metal lathe??? I'm guessing it is?  Throw up that pic ad hopefully the guys in the know will chime in. Alls I know  is they will sit in the corner 'till you need it then it your gonna go man this is sweet! :lol:

• Like 3

oldredrider

A lathe with rust should be checked out thoroughly. Most metal lathes have a good coating of oil mist. Rust means it was stored in an unheated area.

• Like 3

JAinVA

Metal lathes are the backbone of a lot of shops.I have a 10" South Bend toolroom lathe that I picked up 20yrs ago for $350.00.From the the pictures of the Logan 400 it does not have a quick change gear box for threading.It uses changed out gear sets to give different thread pitches.Not a show stopper if you know that limitation.Oldredrider has a valid point.Most machine tools have a light coat of oil and any hint of rust should be of concern.This can be addressed with a scotch bright pad and oil but care must be taken to not let any get crud to get under the apron.The ways are the soul of any lathe must not show any serious wear.

Pictures would help if you could post some.One thing I would caution any new owner of any machine tool like a lathe or milling machine is to get an experienced person to tutor you if you have not run them before.

You-Tube is a good source of info but is absolutely no substitute for hands on training.These machines have no conscience and will kill or maim you in a heartbeat.JimAnderson

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 9

JPWH

Thanks for the info guys. It is a metal lathe. I will try to get pictures from him and post them. I am waiting for him to open the box that was with the lathe to see what tools come with it. He did tell me he oiled it down and the rust would wipe off with a rag so maybe it's not too bad. I understand the thread taper limitations but I'm ok with that part. the last time I used a metal lathe was in high school so training is a must.lol I have an old wizard wood lathe, a walker Turner table saw and an old 24" delta free standing scroll saw. I have a soft spot for old tools.

• Like 3

MalMac

One thing is a must and it's very hard to tell. The ways must not have any twist to them. They can be checked with a high precision level. Where the problem comes in is they can show a twist because it's setting unlevel or they can have a permanent twist that can not be corrected because the lathe had been mishandled in transport or by other mishandled means. This is always something that is hard to judge when buying a used lathe and especially one that has some age on it. Any slight twist to the ways and you will never be able to hold any accuracy in your turning. 

• Like 2

all good advice.  i have a 1941 Logan lathe model #700 that has served me well over the years. it has a 10" swing versus your 9"

logan lathe is gone,  but you can still get some help and parts from the founders family

try this:   http://www.lathe.com/toc.htm

• Like 1

JPWH

I never did get pictures from him but I did a trade today and here is what I have so far. I don't know what some of the parts are but the manual has been ordered. Everything on the lathe works nothing is froze that I have found so far.

This is what he got.

20180418_182622.jpg.d88c03ab63d0ae9e580be2902a7d7c1c.jpg

This is what I have so far.

20180419_180047.jpg.9cc20d63fa393a7034053057cf9a4a7d.jpg

There is a box full of ? he is supposed to bring tomorrow.

I got it off the trailer and in the shop. I sprayed everything with pb blaster to keep the rust from getting worse.

20180419_184403_001.jpg.7b071ddcb5777e30f617ac34db8705e9.jpg

20180419_184058.jpg.0e0df5adc121e0953221e38696f87a62.jpg

Edited by JPWH
Add pictures
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

Well, we know what Jay will be doing for the next few weeks!                  :ychain:

Image result for reading instructions

• Haha 3

JPWH

Didn't you read the manual is on order?:D

• Haha 2

19richie66

Thats a sweet trade there. 

• Thanks 1

JPWH
Just now, 19richie66 said:

Thats a sweet trade there. 

:handgestures-thumbupright: He needed a riding mower and i wanted a lathe. :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
7 minutes ago, JPWH said:

Didn't you read the manual is on order?:D

That is why I selected that cartoon!   Buying a manual and using it are two different things.

• Haha 2

WHX??

I like it Hank :handgestures-thumbupright: Would be just the right for my shop & I'll  come get it don't work out  or the manual doesn't have pictures! :ychain:

Seriously  now you can make your own  bushings, spacers,  collars the list is endless. Looks like it came with the essential. I see a knurling tool there.  I ran one a few years ago  briefly and before that 50 years ago like you in high school. Found it was like riding a bike. You'll enjoy  practicing on some scrap pieces. 

• Like 2

JPWH

If the manual doesn't have pictures I'll be watching a lot of u tube videos. lol

But it will be a while before I can work on it. Too many projects started already.

• Like 2

19richie66

I would love a lathe but it would turn out to be something else I wouldn’t know how to use. :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 4

WHX??
23 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Wouldn’t know how to use.

No comention :lol:

• Haha 1

JAinVA

If you are serious about running this lathe then I hope you have access to a good bench grinder.Huh?If you are going to use the rocker style tool post you have and HS steel tooling( cutting bit,I hate that term) then count on wiping out the cutting edge until you get the hang of it.You can buy preground tooling but you will still have casualties.With a bed that length you should have no twisting issues with it.If it got bent then it would have broken.That is a concern with larger lathes with much longer beds.The stack of gears will allow you to get the right feed rates or threads per inch if you are chasing a thread.I understand the jovial nature of members answers here but what you have is not a toy.You can make an endless amount things that will enhance the WH experience for sure.I have spent many years in the machining trade and have taught many apprentices.It takes many hours to master the lathe with good instruction.I still believe that You Tube is helpful but a poor substitute for hands on instruction.Luck,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

WVHillbilly520H

At work I run old LeBlond lathes, some are all gear some are variable speed change, most of the ways are worn pretty bad but a file and sand paper helps improve accuracy( I know sand paper is a no no) they all have quick change tool posts and we use mostly carbide insert tools but when we need "special" cutters most are hand ground from high speed steel (M2) blanks, haven't ever used a faceplate that I see in the above pictures, or turned anything between centers( just the tailstock center and chuck) ,but we have 3,4 and 6 jaws chucks as well as 5C and Jacob's collet chucks for small or easily marred materials, anyways go slow take light cuts and work your way up from there...if and when I ever get myself a nice shop built I would like to get myself a Smithy all in one lathe, mill, drill press combo machine, Jeff.

Screenshot_20180419-212912.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

JAinVA

Jeff,

I learned to run lathes that had War Production Tags on them.Kept some of the tags when the machines were scrapped.I don't know how many accidents you have seen or close calls in your shop but I have seen guys lose fingers.I have numerous c shaped scars on my frame from hot chips.I have spent many hours with jobs clamped to a 6' diameter face plate.If some of the members think I'm being alarmist or trying to scare people they have good cause.These machines ain't toys and have no concern for your safety as I'm sure you well know.It sounds like you know the trade too! Regards,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Cvans
50 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

..if and when I ever get myself a nice shop built I would like to get myself a Smithy all in one lathe, mill, drill press combo machine, Jeff.

I've been running a Smithy Granite for a number of years. People will tell you that the all in one machines are a pain to use. I find this not to be the case and can usually go from lathe to milling machine in 10 minutes or less. I have never used it as a drill press. A separate lathe and mill would be ideal but when space is limited these can get the job done and are certainly better than nothing.  The electronics , especially the motors in the early ones were of very poor quality but have come a long ways since then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@JAinVA, yes sir have been in the machine shop 12 of the 21 years at the factory I call my second home and yes I have a few hot chip scars of my own and "splinters" that are now part of my fingers from brass/ampco parts, another thing to remember when running these unforgiving machines is no loose clothing or gloves that could wind you up with your work piece also if machining something long that will fit through the headstock don't let it hang out the back without a rest and and don't spin it past 300 rpms (learned the hard way on that) and if you need to work something the length of the bed a steady rest is of a need along with tailstock center. @Cvans thanks for the info on the Smithy, I believe with most parts to be fabbed for our hobby these 3-in-1 machines would be plenty, and as far as a drill press if you are drilling holes while using the mill well then you know it's an accurate drill press, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

JPWH

I picked up the box today. He was going to keep the box and let me have the contents but decided I would use the box more than him.

20180420_180008_001.jpg.45b621a8fb7f289018d4673bb67029bf.jpg

20180420_180248.jpg.410dea3494cab76a54be9d70c50b403e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

JPWH

I am happy with my trade. A 13 year old riding mower for a 71 year old lathe. I found out today the lathe belonged to his grandfather and his grandfather has had it for as long as he can remember.

• Like 4

JAinVA

As far as I'm concerned the tool box and its contents alone are worth the trade.I think you did well.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1