ibskot

Is it the fuel pump?

ibskot

I got my WH 312-8 back fr rom my dad. When I took it to him I had just changed the plug, fuel line and filter. It ran great. He let it sit for maybe 1.5-2 yes and now I have it and it won't start. I just changed the gas and and plug again.  It will start if I spray starter fluid in the carb or put gas in the plug chamber. When I disconnected the fuel line that goes into the carb and nothing squirts out. I know the line is clear b/c i let gas run from the tank all the way up the line.

Do I just need to buy a new fuel pump? Can it be anything else?

I appreciate any help.

IMG_20170418_205911.jpg

IMG_20170418_205933.jpg

elcamino/wheelhorse

Put an electric fuel pump on it, replace the fuel line and any filters , check the strainer in the tank, check the vent on the fuel tank cap to make sure it is clear.

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Like 2

953 nut

If it sat for a year and it was run on gas with ethanol in it you probably have a bit of goop blocking the valves in the fuel pump preventing it from pumping. The carburetor will probably be full of crud too.  Pull the fuel pump and take it apart and clean it up, if it has some jelly like goop in it the carburetor will too. Best to use non-ethanol gas to prevent problems.

• Like 8

ibskot

Ok on non ethanol gas...makes sense. 

How hard is a fuel pump cleaning?  Anything to be specifically Co corned with? Do I need gaskets?

Thanks

953 nut
50 minutes ago, ibskot said:

How hard is a fuel pump cleaning?

An old tooth brush, a small bowl, some mineral spirits or lacquer thinner and a screwdriver should be all you need. Once it is apart you can remove the valves and clean them with the tooth brush (they will pop right out with little effort) make sure all passages are open. The diaphragm is the only internal gasket and should be able to be reused. yours will probably be like the one in the center.

58f7f7cc2b497_kohlerfuelpumps003.thumb.JPG.a0bedc8346c823084a846d66a378eb21.JPG

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3

ibskot

Thanks a lot! This will be my Friday plan.

JC 1965

Check the diaphragm carefully for cracks and tiny holes also if the diaphragm is stiff it won't pump gas very well. I replaced my manual pumps with electric pumps and problem solved.    :twocents-02cents:    

rmaynard

If you decide that you want to use a mechanical pump rather than replace it with an electric one, you have several options. There are rebuild kits which are only good if the pump you are working with is not damaged inside by corrosion. The new parts need to be able to have good surfaces to seal. Also, because there were many types and configurations of cast metal pumps used, one universal rebuild kit may not fit all. Another option is a used pump. You are taking a chance that it may be as bad as the one you have now, or on the brink of needing a rebuild itself.

So my suggestion is to search Amazon.com or eBay for a new replacement pump. The new ones are plastic, but I've had one on my B-100 for about 10 years now with no problems. Also, when you consider the time, money and effort put into attempting to rebuild an old one, with a rebuild kit costing around $30.00, the cost of a new pump (about $35.00) seems like a no-brainer.

NAPA auto parts carries replacement pumps as well.

• Like 1

ibskot
6 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

If you decide that you want to use a mechanical pump rather than replace it with an electric one, you have several options. There are rebuild kits which are only good if the pump you are working with is not damaged inside by corrosion. The new parts need to be able to have good surfaces to seal. Also, because there were many types and configurations of cast metal pumps used, one universal rebuild kit may not fit all. Another option is a used pump. You are taking a chance that it may be as bad as the one you have now, or on the brink of needing a rebuild itself.

So my suggestion is to search Amazon.com or eBay for a new replacement pump. The new ones are plastic, but I've had one on my B-100 for about 10 years now with no problems. Also, when you consider the time, money and effort put into attempting to rebuild an old one, with a rebuild kit costing around $30.00, the cost of a new pump (about $35.00) seems like a no-brainer.

NAPA auto parts carries replacement pumps as well.

Just called Napa and they are $60 and need to be ordered. Hopefully mine can be cleaned

pfrederi

Electric pumps can be had for about $30

ibskot

Where? When I look at Amazon I get a million different ones. What should I enter? 

pfrederi

Facet 40177 is one used by some here

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I use the facet on my 416-8 and it has made starting so much easier. I plan on putting one on my 310-8 , and my Commando 800.

ibskot

I called O'Reilly Auto part, autozone and advance and nobody had this thing. Would anyone be able to show pics of one installed?

squonk

Napa pump # 610-1051

Jerry77
7 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Facet 40177

This pump is 1 to 2 psi max - I paid about 65 bucks I think - very dependable - if you go electric - don't go over 3 psi on the output - will blow the seat in your carb if you do ( maybe -at least that is what I have been told )...plan on an inline 5 amp fuse and a shut off switch for when you want the key on to do other things without the pump running.....:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

ibskot
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Napa pump # 610-1051

Is this the mechanical or electrical?

squonk

Electric. The kink explains the install.

ibskot

It runs. I removed the fuel pump and it was pretty ugly. I then took it apart and soaked it while I mowed my yard. Ithe soaked in about a 50/50 blend of mineral spirits and Sea Foam. It fired right up. So then I tried to used my Brinly scrape blade only to be remindependent that the lift doesn't go very high and it is horribly out matcheduring for the dirt I wanted to move.  Oh well.

Thanks

• Like 1

Mower Man

If the fuel filter only is 1/4 full at the most full does that mean that the fuel pump is not working right and needs replacment?

953 nut
15 minutes ago, Mower Man said:

If the fuel filter only is 1/4 full at the most full does that mean that the fuel pump is not working right and needs replacment?

:WRS:              No, that seems about normal.

• Like 2