pgiro

Grass deflector for 48" deck

pgiro

I have a 1978 C161 that came with a 48" deck. After sending a large bolt that was hidden in the lawn into the side of my camper (thank God it hit the camper and not a person), I figured I should get a deflector for the deck. The deck has a tag somewhat attached, but searching didn't turn up any matches. Can anyone help identify the correct part number for a deflector for this deck? If you have one to sell, please let me know..  Thank you.

deck.JPG

gwest_ca

Comparing serial numbers and the odd 914- build date will guess this is the deck you have. The deflector is one item that was likely the same for many years.

Garry

pgiro

Thank you. That helps. Will see if I can locate one.

Lee1977

Can say how good they are at stopping thrown objects, but that are a real pain while mowing tall grass.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I would be curious to see how well it works because I have seen VERY few decks for sale that still have the deflector, and those that do are often NOS :lol:

I can't say I remember even seeing a picture of an operational horse with a deflector attached... :scratchead:

woodchuckfarmer

Deflectors kind of make a windrow of the cut grass. instead of broadcasting it across the yard.

Tankman
16 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

I would be curious to see how well it works because I have seen VERY few decks for sale that still have the deflector, and those that do are often NOS :lol:

I can't say I remember even seeing a picture of an operational horse with a deflector attached... :scratchead:

I have several decks, one I added a deflector to but, haven't used it.

Mindful of the direction my Horse and I are mowing, always throw grass and whatever in a direction that'll do no harm. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I think shrubs and trees are the reason behind a lack of deflectors. Hitting a stump with a deflector would damage your deck. :wacko:

I have often seen decks with their chutes tied up out-of-the-way.

• Like 1

obone

Please let us know what you find out. I wanted to get one also. Dad always ran his tied up or took them off. I hated it. (I thought I seen a for sale add here last week for one) I found it.

Edited by obone
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

In my 19 years I have had the deflector on and off and back on, reasons for being off at my parents house to many rocks to dodge and it seemed to dig trenches when making sharp turns or on bumpy uneven terrain and back up, I put it back on after I moved to where I'm at now but not before I trimmed the bottom leading edge by about an inch or so so as it doesn't dig trenches any more and it really does help keep the grass off tractor and operator but on flip side damp/wet grass "clogs" in it as for "windrowing" it's easier to sweep up afterwards JMO,  Jeff.

EricF
On 4/19/2017 at 2:50 PM, bmsgaffer said:

Well, I guess I have to throw the average -- this is the deck that came with the 520H I just bought a couple of weeks ago:

wAXfJVq.jpg

:teasing-neener:

Just recently finished sharpening the blades and greasing the spindles... It'll probably be mounted for the first mowing this weekend.

• Like 2

Digger 66

Nice deck ! 

Those urethane stair climbers on your Magliner are worn past the service limits .:rolleyes:

EricF

Yeah, that Magliner has seen some serious service. I rescued it from the armored car company I used to work at. It was beat up when I first got a hold of it, and then it spent nearly a decade hauling stacks of coin bags and boxes on my routes... I hung on to it when they finally replaced all the hand carts with new ones. Since then, it's been used for several house moves, and toting heavy stuff around the house -- light duty stuff, y'know! :lol: Just another fine made-in-the-USA piece of hardware.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

@EricF, looks like the front anti-scalp wheels are worn flat on your deck,  they should be beveled from center outwards, the deck probably wasn't adjusted properly they should only touch on the high spots not actually rolling on the turf all the time like the height of cut rear wheels, Jeff.

Screenshot_20170421-213005.png