CurtS

Fixing a 90's Wheel Horse Tractor

CurtS

I have inherited a 20 year old wheel horse tractor.  It appears to be in good condition.  It's my fathers and hasn't been run in over 20 years.  I'd like to fix it up and use it to mow our 1.5 acre yard in Wayne, IL (Chicagoland Area).

I'm not sure where to start and who to go to for advice and parts.  I'm hoping to learn who the dealers and repair shops are near my home or anyone who can help.  I may fix it myself or pay someone to get it running.

• Like 6

AMC RULES

Let's start with the model of :wh: you inherited here.  

:WRS:

• Like 1

jellyghost

Welcome!  There are guys on this site that can walk you through every step of the process.  A few pictures of the tractor will help get some traction on this project too.

farmer

:text-welcomeconfetti:

CurtS, all the help you need with your tractor is right here, post up a pic or two, find the plate on the tractor with the model number and your off and running. :handgestures-thumbupright:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti::text-yeahthat: x3...

953 nut
5 hours ago, CurtS said:

I may fix it myself

:WRS:            You can do it and we can help, look under the seat for a tag that has a model number and let us know what you have.   :wwp:

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:              :text-yeahthat:

Achto

:WRS: There are a lot of good people here ready &  willing to help you with your project.

Edited by Achto

TDF5G

:WRS:  And I also must say that you've come to the right place to get your :wh: up and running and ready for working.  This is best forum on earth and a great, helpful, knowledgeable group of folks too!   

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:

:WRS:

gwest_ca

Can see the ID decal behind the shifter in the last photo. Numbers still readable?

Garry

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, CurtS said:

I figure my next steps are to replace the battery, clean the carburetor, change the oil, and change the spark plug.  Am I on the right track? I don't know, do I need to do anything with the gas tank?  Drain out the old gas and clean?  Anything else?  My Dad says the cylinders are rusted and it will never run again.  Not sure what products to use or what oil it takes.  Our previous tractor was an even older model  Wheel Horse.  If I remember it took straight SAE 30 oil, but not sure if this one uses the same oil.

IMG_20170419_190934581.jpg

That is a great looking 308 and it appears to have been stored inside.  You are definitely  on the right track.   30W engine oil is fine.  I don't understand why Dad feels the cylinder is rusted. This usually only happens when a tractor is stored outside with out a spark plug and water enters the engine.  If you see no water when you change the oil, it should be fine.

Yes, drain out the old fuel , flush out the tank and lines with new fuel, and clean the carb. You may have to clean the fuel pump also, but that  is later.   Not being run in 20 years may be a good thing...there is probably no ethanol in the system.  Check the gear oil in the transmission.  Grease all the zerk  fittings...wheels, spindles, axle pivot, steering gear, clutch pedal, and deck spindles if they have them.

• Like 5

T-Mo

What you have is not a '90s, but a mid to late 80s Wheel Horse.  A 90s one will also have the name "Toro" on the hood decal.  Yours don't.  Since it's not a maroon stripe, I'm thinking either 1985 or 1986, though I've seen some '86s with maroon stripes.

WHX??

Like Garry said if you can put up a pic of that id plate we can nail down the year and get you the proper manuals if you don't have them. I'm with Ed on the rusted cylinder thing. You get that tractor up and running and with a good running deck and sharp blades that girl will mow like nobody's business!

farmer

Before you do anything else take out the spark plug and turn the engine by hand, if it spins you'll be ok, if not you may have a seized piston. Let us know.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 6

HorseFixer

:text-welcomeconfetti:  to  :rs:Like Farmer says remove the plug shoot a lil WD in the spark plug hole and try and turn the pully on engine over by hand if you can rotate the pully over a couple turns the engine is not seized and you are well on your way.   :handgestures-thumbupright: 

• Like 2

CurtS

Great advice everyone.  Thank you!  Here are pictures of the id plates on the seat and deck.  This tractor could have been purchased around 1985.  I couldn't remember that exact year that my Dad bought it.  I don't have any manuals for it.  The right front tire has a leak and was flat when I looked at it today.  The other three tires looked fine.  I will try to turn the engine by hand.  Thanks again.

IMG_20170419_191705437-min.jpg

IMG_20170419_191623457-min.jpg

• Like 1

farmer

I agree with the others, the tractor looks in too good a nick to have the engine seized, but worth checking. Also looks like the engine to deck drive belt is twisted. 

gwest_ca

Tractor manuals

Your mower is a 1989 model determined by the 9024 build date

Garry

• Like 3

WHX??
9 hours ago, CurtS said:

The right front tire has a leak and was flat

I have gotten by in a pinch with a plug if the tires are in good shape but a inner tube is your best solution. :techie-ebay:has them reasonable right to your door and in pairs for the other side should you need one for the shelf.

• Like 1

CurtS

Wow!  Great manuals.  Thanks Garry!

Best, Curt

• Like 1

6bg6ga

Well, I might as well chime in. I'll take the mower off your hands. I can be in there in 2.5 hours to load it up on my trailor. :ychain:

CurtS
4 minutes ago, 6bg6ga said:

Well, I might as well chime in. I'll take the mower off your hands. I can be in there in 2.5 hours to load it up on my trailor. :ychain:

Then what will I mow my lawn with?

• Like 1

6bg6ga

i'll trade you for a 30" running craftsman riding mower. :) with new battery, belts, and variable pulley.

I'll throw in some audio gear too or maybe something else depending on you hobbies.

Edited by 6bg6ga