Horsthorse

Necessary to change Hydro Transmission Oil

Horsthorse

I'm new to this site, and have a basic question.  I have a 1986 312A, with 865 hours on it on which the hydrostatic transmission fluid has never been changed.  Is it necessary/recommended to change the fluid at this point, or not?  What replacement fluid should I use?  Is the NAPA 1410 the best filter to use?  Thanks, Barry

squonk

I don't think the 312A uses a filter. I thought they came with the Eaton 700 but I may be wrong. If it does have the better trans with the filter, change the oil and use a 1410 and Mobil 1 10/30

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:      Page 20 of this manual covers your tractor's trans. As Mike said, no filter and the manual did not call for a change.

Edited by 953 nut

shallowwatersailor

Unlike the Eaton 1100, the Eaton 700 (unless replaced) actually has two different oil reservoirs. The transaxle requires 10W-30 like a manual Wheel Horse transmission. That is easy to do as the drain is the 1/4" NPT plug underneath. Fill it through the dipstick tube.

The transmission was filled with a derivative of a 20W oil. Later Wheel Horse lubrication sheets indicate that a 30W oil was allowed to be substituted. You can use a turkey baster to remove a few ounces from the reservoir, or pull the right rear tire off and look for a plug under the transmission. The transmission's oil just circulates within the transmission and the reservoir acts like the overflow tank for a car's radiator.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• mcfarmall
      By mcfarmall
      Tractor features Kohler 16hp cast iron engine, gently used 42" deck, concrete wheel weights, tire chains, new Chinesium carburetor, fuel lines and filter, new air filter, 2 new fwd/rev cams.  A starter,  some new gaskets, and miscellaneous parts.  New drive belt and all the belt idler assemblies.  Engine runs but smokes.  Great restoration candidate or a spare engine for you pullers out there.  Call, text or email for a private showing.   No offers considered unless made in person.  Buyer responsible for transportation.  Many more pictures to send to interested persons. 

• jmack
      By jmack
      I’m looking for a transmission dipstick to a D-180. Let me know if you see one. 
    • lsc1257
      By lsc1257
      I have a 1996 520H Wheel Horse for sale.  The tractor has just over 800 hours on it.  It comes with a 48 inch deck.  The deck is a 1995 and has over 1,500 hours on it, as it came brand new with my 312-8 that I sold several years ago.  This 520-H has the swept front axle so it can handle a 60 inch deck.  I just replaced the battery and the deck belt this summer.  The engine is a 20HP Onan and it starts right up but requires the full choke.  The transmission is an Eaton 1100-062, hydrostatic.  The deck is in rough shape but the spindles appear to be in good working order.  The right rear tire has some cracking.  The original operator's manual for the 520H is included, as is the original operating and maintenance instructions for the deck, plus the installation instructions for the deck.  Also included is a new PTO belt and several miscellaneous deck wheels and rollers.  Additional pictures available upon request.  Asking $500.

• Doug B
      By Doug B
      Hey guys,I have a dilemma I need some help with. I have a 1969 GT 14 that I replaced the transmission and pump on. For about 2 weeks afterward everything worked great, but while mowing at a pretty good pace I noticed a shudder and the tractor slowed a little but not bad. The more I rode it the slower it got until it barely moves. What stumps me is the hydraulics are still very strong,as in I can back the 3 point under the bumper of my truck and if you lift the arms all the way up the front wheels of the tractor will clear the ground. Have checked the tow valve and checked the internal filter,but no luck. I have also checked and replaced the forward and reverse bypass springs and the lever is moving the cam to full travel, forward and reverse. Any help would be appreciated.
    • mattd860
      By mattd860
      I have developed a kit that allows a Wheel Horse / Toro hydrostatic tractor to be operated by a pedal on the right side of the tractor. The original forward/reverse lever can be retained or removed. The kit includes everything needed to install the pedal kit and installation is simple with the help of a downloadable installation manual. Additionally, only one (1) 1/4" hole will need to be drilled which can be done by a hand drill. No other drilling or cutting will be necessary. Any tractor with this kit can be converted back to stock without any visible evidence that kit was installed. However, you'll never want to do that

The kit operates very simply and similar to modern tractors. When the pedal is pushed forwards the tractor will move forwards. When the reverse pedal is pressed downwards, the tractor will moved in reverse. If the operator takes his foot of the pedal at any time, the pedal will automatically center itself and the hydrostatic transmission will return to neutral (stop). This enables the operator to use both hands on the steering wheel or one hand on the wheel and the other operating an attachment like a snow blower, plow, etc.

The foot pedal is custom cast in Aluminum, uses brass bushings to minimize wear, and it closely matches the OEM Wheel Horse BRAKE pedal commonly found on 8-speed manual transmission tractors. Modifications were done to the pedal to add the reverse pedal and adapt the pedal to the rest of the kit. For the most part, the pedal looks like it was designed and manufactured by Wheel Horse / Toro. Additionally, a grease fitting has been adapted to the pedal to further minimize wear and tear and if the brass bushings ever wear out they are fully replaceable without having to buy a whole new pedal. 

The pedal kit fits the following series tractors with Eaton hydrostatic transmissions: C-1X5, 300, 400, 500. 

My kit can be adapted to older hydrostatic tractors with the Sundstrand transmission, however, you will need to find an updated hydro cam commonly found on ebay. Message me for more information. 

Here is a link where you can download the installation manual: CLICK HERE

I am selling these kits for $330 shipped to anywhere in the United States. I offer multi order discounts as well. I will also sell to other countries for additional shipping charges to be determined.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me or post your question here and I will be glad to help. Or you can email me at mattdarling02@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

Below are pictures of the complete kit and the pedal installed on the tractor. Some modifications have been made since these pictures were taken. For example, the reverse pedal is now cast in aluminum instead of the steel pedal shown below.