slim67

Why on Easter?

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: 

I'm thinking...

we really need some programs for the people of this country. 

Just sayin'.  :teasing-poke:

• Like 3

953 nut
9 minutes ago, slim67 said:

There is a mental health issue here not a gun issue.

Slim, I am not a gun owner and don't advocate a wild west mentality but agree that it is a serious mental health issue and the courts and bleeding hearts are compounding the problem by not intervening until a tragic situation occurs. I pray that no more innocent lives are lost and you and yours are safe.     :soapbox:

• Like 1

slim67
Just now, 953 nut said:

Slim, I am not a gun owner and don't advocate a wild west mentality but agree that it is a serious mental health issue and the courts and bleeding hearts are compounding the problem by not intervening until a tragic situation occurs. I pray that no more innocent lives are lost and you and yours are safe.     :soapbox:

Im sure law enforcement will get him soon. Thanks for your concern. I cant imagine losing my Dad like that.

• Like 2

jellyghost

I run an inner city mission, and I work with quite a few mentally ill people who are homeless.  In the least, there needs to me more residency based mental health services.

• Like 5

squonk

My wife works 2 jobs in the mental health field. Seriously underfunded,trained and staffed. :(

• Like 4

rmaynard

My wife works at a public library. Because her branch is located downtown, on Main Street of the county seat, the homeless, workless, and shiftless make the library their daily hangout. Not all are mentally ill, but there are plenty of them. In this town there are many shelters and services available, but most of these folks choose not to avail themselves to those services. My wife is retiring at the end of the year, and I pray daily that one of these nuts doesn't do something.

• Like 3

slim67

What I don't understand is why mental health issues aren't taken seriously until something happens. If they catch this guy the first defense will be reason of insanity. As a responsible gun owner I hate when they start calling for more gun control when that wasn't the problem in the first place. Mental illness I have heard but can't confirm, is one of the most common illnesses in our country. Another saying is there is a fine line between genius and insanity.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

The mental health funding issue began in the '80s when the actor who-became-president cut funding and forced those that needed help effectively out onto the street. It didn't happen overnite but the repercussions are still being felt today. I respect the gun-advocacy side but the recent revoking of a an executive order that allows the declared mentally ill to have gun rights is ludicrous..

• Like 2

slim67
1 hour ago, shallowwatersailor said:

The mental health funding issue began in the '80s when the actor who-became-president cut funding and forced those that needed help effectively out onto the street. It didn't happen overnite but the repercussions are still being felt today. I respect the gun-advocacy side but the recent revoking of a an executive order that allows the declared mentally ill to have gun rights is ludicrous..

I understand there are a lot of the mentally ill in prison also instead of hospitals. I guess with some people you never know. This guy seemed normal for the most part and then ? As of yet he still hasn't been caught.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
11 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

That particular executive order by the former community organizer and senator. was not just for declared mentally ill. I know this because my mom is having her financial records and transactions handled by me. She no longer drives and can still balance a checkbook and probably your checkbook as well.She is old school and will have nothing to do with anything other than paper checks and a teller at the window. I am pretty much the same. The fact that we handle her financial stuff gives the government no right to suspend her constitutional rights to possess a gun. For her to comply with the law, she would have to rid herself of dad's stuff right now just to comply with the silly letter that came from Social Security.

So maybe the old gentleman who got shot took the letter he may have gotten from Social Security at face value before that executive order was rescinded. Actually, the letter Mom got was sent AFTER the order was rescinded, so possibly the 'mistake" was made just because Social security did not agree with the new revocation and just did as they pleased.

Not trying to be too political here, but trying to be accurate in  pointing out that having someone else doing your banking as a POA was part of the executive order that DECLARED my mom to be is the same category [unfit to own a gun} as an actually mentally ill person.  Maybe she needs to go to a gun store to see what they say about the situation.  They make Lady Smiths in pink.

Now as far as cutting funding and putting people on the street, I remember well that many of the mentally were de-institutionalized because of actions by the legal community. To put it simply, the inmates were then in charge of the asylum. To be fair, the asylums brought some of this on themselves. The effect of all this was increasing reliance of outpatient based programs. I believe that to be more the cause of the changes than the actor. I would like to know to which executive order you are referring that could have the power to shut down mental institutions, but I digress

Now with the Opiate epidemic sucking all of the dollars away from everything else in Ohio, do not look for much to change. The coroner in Montgomery County ran out of refrigerated space to stack the dead bodies so autopsies can be performed . That's how bad things are. I have my own ideas as to why the epedemic is so out of control. but it is time to jump off the soap box.

shallowwatersailor

In 1979, President Carter signed the Mental Health Systems Act which improved services for chronic mental illness. After President Reagan was elected, he signed in 1981 the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act that repealed Carter's health legislation and instead provided block grants to states. The end result was federal funding was cut 30%. Interestingly a study was made in 1984 (three years later) in Ohio that found that up to 30% of homeless people were thought to suffer from serious mental illness. Also under Reagan, in 1985 Federal funding dropped to 11 percent of community mental-health agency budgets. In 2009, In the aftermath of the Great Recession, states were forced to cut $4.35 billion in public mental-health spending over the next three years, the largest reduction in funding since deinstitutionalization. Our system to treat the mentally ill has shrunk back to 1850 levels with only 43,000 psychiatric beds available -14 beds per 100,000 people. In my area, in 2013 a VA state senator was stabbed by his son who then killed himself. The father was trying to institutionalize his son for his well being - but there were no beds available so was sent home to the family!

slim67

I checked the local news website and it looks like the shooter shot himself in Erie,PA. Hopefully there weren't any other casualties that aren't known about.

• Like 1