My 1054 is a very strong horse, but it has an issue that i think is the downside. The issue is the transmittion, it is VERY hard to get into gear. how could i fix this and make it easier shifting, like my 314?

I would suggest pulling t flushing tranny with diesel and run it around a while then refill with new gear oil. 

i was thinking about cleaning it out, because it does have a bad seal on the input shaft.

55 minutes ago, koalassquad said:

it is VERY hard to get into gear.

Do you mean it is difficult to move the shifter 

Or do you mean it grinds going into gear?

• Like 2

No grinding... just difficult to move the shifter is most likely moisture and rust.

Could be on the shift rails.

Could be on the sliding gears.

Water in the transmission will make the oil less slippery and cause rust inside the case.

Do as Stevebo suggests and clean it out.  

But the only way to remove rusty scale on the case is to disassemble it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N3PUY said:

No grinding... just difficult to move the shifter is most likely moisture and rust.

Could be on the shift rails.

Could be on the sliding gears.

Water in the transmission will make the oil less slippery and cause rust inside the case.

Do as Stevebo suggests and clean it out.  

But the only way to remove rusty scale on the case is to disassemble it.

Alrighty, ima try that

If you remove the shift lever you will be able to take a peak inside to see what is going on. Back off on the locking nut and remove the "Dogpoint Screw".

58f40a315c2fe_WheelHorseshifterforks.jpg.31996718dfb571665410ec4e056ec269.jpg

• Like 1

If you fill it with diesel, a safe amount of extra heat  is you friend to help clean it out (Using Proper Precautions)

Set the tractor outside in an open area 

Drain old transmission oil (lift the front of the tractor to get it to drain over the transmission hump) Then sit transmission down.

Wipe off any residual oil on the outside of the transmission

Fill transmission brim full of diesel (so shifter rails are covered)  

If possible jack rear of tractor up, put on blocks and start tractor. (or use an electric motor and belt to turn the transmission input pulley

Put a  electric heater 2-3 foot away blowing on transmission and let it run in each gear and periodically run through the gears (moving the shift rails and sliding gears until it feels easier to shift ) (do this for about an hour)

(the idea is to get the transmission to around 100-120 degrees to help soften old crud (Your are not trying to get it smoking hot)

Remove heater, and with transmission still warm drain transmission (lift up front to drain over hump)

Fill transmission with new oil

BE SAFE

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Alrighty, I cleaned the tranny out with a mixture of diesel and kerosean. I flushed it completly after letting it sit for about 6 hours. The amount of rust and varnished gear oil that came out was impeckable. I also took this time to replace the shifter, and it now goes into gear lighter, but there is surface rust on the little hole that the shifter slides between. 

Edited by koalassquad
  • Like 1