coldbear

Sundstrand trans. 31000077

coldbear

Hey Guys. I pulled the old 1965 875 Wheel-a-matic from the storage shed and found it lacking in forward movements. It has a slight reverse but not strong. I changed the fluids and filter but still no forward movement. Main drive pulley to the trans. is connected to the shaft. Is there a member that knows their way around this type of transmission, had similar problems ?  Would it be cheaper to exchange the tranny out or try to delve in and save it? Just scratching my head ?? I live around the Dayton Ohio area .

pfrederi

the manual is here.  I would run through the tune up.  WH didn't lay out a lot of overhaul steps...it was repair by replacement.

• Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, coldbear said:

I pulled the old 1965 875 Wheel-a-matic from the storage shed

Is the tow valve open? That will slooooooooooow them down.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

This Sundstrand unit is very similar to later models 90-2046 and 90-2062 both of which I have rebuilt for other members, with success.  First, I suggest you follow any 'short-run' tips from the repair manual download, with fingers crossed.  Then while the unit is still on the tractor, open all of the plugs / ports to see if there are any BROKEN parts.  

If that is to no avail, it is not  difficult to rebuild the hyd pump section of the unit.  If you know how to use a ratchet wrench and screwdriver, you can do this.  Here's the thing:  after nearly 50 years, the internal brass parts of the pump become scored and need resurfaced.  There are some other  issues, but that the main problem...here are a few pics of what can be expected when you remove the pump:

217 (30).JPG

218 (20).JPG

218 (27)a.jpg

218 (31)a.jpg

219 (5)a.jpg

• Like 1

coldbear

Wow.....I never expected this quick reply. Much appreciated, I'll be pulling that pump as soon as I do my early static checks. Thanks for the information fellas. Keep me I mind if you know someone that has a good working unit if mine doesn't work out, o.k.?? And another thanks Daveoman1966 for the pictures. We'll be using those for pre flight.

• Like 1