Al C.

There's gotta be a better solution ..,

Al C.

At the end of last fall, I drained the fuel from my two Wheel Horses and ran them dry.  Last week I filled the 1067 with gas and it started right up.  Yesterday I fill the SK-486 with gas and turned it over.  After 20 minutes and multiple attempts, it was clear no gas was getting to the engine.  I disconnected the gas line at the fuel pump, sure enough, it was dry.  Long story short, out of frustration I blew into the fuel tank to force gas through the line.  It worked!   It primed the pump and the tractor started on the first turn.  It is running great!   I can't image that blowing into the fuel tank is a "recommended" solution.  The next time this happens, what is a better way to fix it!

IMG_0853.PNG

• Like 2

rjg854

Just a guess, maybe leave the gas cap either loose or just take it off?

Maybe a venting problem?

• Like 1

953 nut

That is a problem with rear mounted fuel tanks. I have mounted an electric fuel pump low on the frame and had no more problem.

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

I have done that on numerous occasions. Wipe it off and blow steady..Works every time! Just remember to breath OUT when you have your mouth around the filler hole!!!

• Like 2

JC 1965
55 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

That is a problem with rear mounted fuel tanks. I have mounted an electric fuel pump low on the frame and had no more problem.

I agree. I put electric fuel pumps on all three of my horses. Works great.     :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

cleat
17 minutes ago, scotty said:

I put on one of those in line hand primer pumps they work pretty good. Like this. Just make sure you get the right size for your fuel line.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/182005970824?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I put hand primers on all 4 of my 520's and after a few quick squeezes they start right up.

Even worked great after sitting all winter.

• Like 3

clueless
5 hours ago, cleat said:

I put hand primers on all 4 of my 520's and after a few quick squeezes they start right up.

Even worked great after sitting all winter.

Where in the fuel line did you put your primers? Also is the one on ebay listed here the one you used?

doc724

Unlike Al, I leave fuel treated with Seafoam in all the tanks of my machines.  Of the 4 machines, only my C141 is difficult to start after sitting for 3-4 months.  This year, after reading the posts about electric fuel pumps, I simply filled the tank full before I tried to start it.  Although it took maybe 20-30 seconds of cranking to get gas flowing, it did start.  My newer machines 314, 416 and 5xi, started within 5-10 seconds of cranking.  Although electric pumps are a good solution, I think the root cause is that maybe 30 year old fuel pumps just may be beyond their intended design life.  Also, the chinese built replacement pumps may not have as robust materials as the original OEM pumps of the 60's and 70's.

• Like 1

cleat
5 hours ago, clueless said:

Where in the fuel line did you put your primers? Also is the one on ebay listed here the one you used?

I put them just before the fuel pump.

Yes, I bought cheap ones off of ebay straight from China.

If these fail but I like them (I think I will) then I will buy better ones.

58f3eded911a1_Primerbulbteston520H1.thumb.jpg.e6f634179d6231617d987413e1663133.jpg

gregg'shorses

Al C.

I want to thank everyone for their ideas/experience.   Especially, SylvanLake, thanks for admitting you've tried the same solution I used.  Now that I know this is a problem others have had, and since it happens so infrequently, I'm going to try to construct a reusable diaphragm  to put over the filler hole and pressurize the tank by pushing on it.  I just have to find a material the will not "recoil".  I'll put out a post if I'm successful.  Thanks again!!!!

• Like 3

DennisThornton

I've seen where 1/2 wouldn't start but a full tank would. 

• Like 2

Al C.

I'm guessing the minimal weight of the additional fuel creates just enough pressure to force gas through the line and get things flowing.  So obviously, it doesn't take much.  

• Like 3

thehorse

I think a better solution is to a have a buddy over and after he has a couple of beers, have him blow into the tank! Lol

• Like 4

c-series don

I took an old fuel cap,broke off the non working float and installed a simple tire valve in the center of the cap. Now I can just thread that cap on any of my tractors and give it a quick shot of air and walla! Running tractor. It doesn't take much just a few psi, as most of us know that have used the "I'll just man up and blow into the tank" technique!!!

• Like 4

Al C.

This is one reason I like this forum - common sense rules!  Great idea!

Lee1977

I'm cheap I have plastic bottle with a spout. If my 312 doesn't start after two short tries. I pull the breather and give it a couple shots of gas. It will pull the gas up once it is running.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Interesting and some funny comments by all.

Glenn

fitter

This sounds like a design flaw. Last year I relocated after market electric fuel pump down low under tank on my 416-8 with a primer bulb with new fuel filters and would run good most of the time but would still die from lack of gas occasionally. Now I just started cutting the grass for the first time this year and it will die after 2 minutes of run time.Re prime and start over and over. What is the real solution here? Seems like there are way to many fuel issues of this kind.

formariz
On 4/17/2017 at 9:29 PM, thehorse said:

I think a better solution is to a have a buddy over and after he has a couple of beers, have him blow into the tank! Lol

Make sure you have alcohol resistant fuel lines before you allow him to blow into tank!

fitter

Just replaced after market fuel pump and all is good...for now.

• Like 2