Sign in to follow this  
slim67

Richfield plow day

slim67

My 16 year old daughter wants to plant a garden this year, so I am going ahead and  tackling the "hard" part. This is virgin ground and has never been turned a although there were 3 garden boxes that sat there at one time and had premium top soil in them. When I removed the boxes,I tilled the soil back into the existing ground.The bottom plow isnt a Wheel Horse plow but looks like it may have come off a walk-behind tractor. I should have shortened the tongue a lot more than I did and probably will in the near future. I had to make some adjustments in order to get the depth right but I got it in the ballpark. The little RJs front end was a little light but I am impressed with the 4hp Clinton. I am going to disc it Monday and try to till it afterwards if weather permits. I picked up a very nice set of Brinly discs at the salvage yard my Dad and I went to Friday for 60 bucks. I dont think they have been used more than a few times.

plow day 1.JPG

plow day 2.JPG

• Like 8

KC9KAS

These little tractors are very capable of big jobs!

• Like 1

slim67
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

These little tractors are very capable of big jobs!

Yes they are. The last time I plowed a garden was with a Sears ST16 and 210lbs of wheel weights and tire chains. That big Sears would pull the front end up when the plow hooked a root or rock. This little RJ pulled the front end up a couple times with my 205lb frame and 66 lbs of wheel weights. It got the job done and should have less problems this fall and from then on if we keep using this garden plot.

• Like 2