henrylrjr

Is it a 1975?

henrylrjr

Hi all,

Just joined and have been really enjoying this site. I bought, what I think is, a 1975 C160 Wheel Horse from my neighbor in 1983. He was shop manager at a business that primarily sold large trucks, the type that pull 18 wheelers, and they also were a wheel horse dealer. When I bought it he also gave me a bunch of manuals from 74 to 77, including automatic tranny manuals and parts lists for the tractor and the tranny. I want to sell it and would appreciate it if someone could verify the year. The attached photos show the stamped labels. One thing that always puzzled me was the decal on the hood showing C161 and decal on the body showing C160. He gave me a bunch of spare parts, including a weathered hood. Maybe he just wanted a shiny new hood and they only had a C161. What is the difference between a c160 and c161?

Thanks,

henry

20170415_161841_resized.jpg

20170415_162234_resized.jpg

20170415_162348_resized.jpg

20170415_161921_resized.jpg

20170415_162046_resized.jpg

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

1975   C-160      The C-160 engine is bolted directly to the frame.  The C-161 has rubber anti vibration pads and a " rocker plate".

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

rmaynard

A little hood decal confusion going on there. The 1975 model hood had an ornament (as pictured), and the C-161 hoods did not. The C-160 had the gas tank under the hood and the C-161 had it under the seat. Numerous other differences as well. But in my opinion, you've got the better of the two.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

JackC

This is the correct hood decal and seat for a 1975 C-160.

58f2aa109d311_C-160fromleftrear.thumb.JPG.7085886a388d6d08001b3484351353fa.JPG

• Like 5

AMC RULES

Image result for welcome wagon gif hdr-logo-100b.png.debfef409f7b3a4a06b50a3cf8de5f8e.png

henrylrjr

Love this site. Thanks for all the replies. Guess I'll never know why my neighbor put on c161 decals. It's been a great hard working horse but back problems made stop mowing about 4 years ago. Since then I've replaced many parts with NOS parts thinking I would restore it but now it's time to sell it.

• Like 1

tims tractors

What would you want for it. Thanks. Tim

henrylrjr

I ran it totally dry of gas about 3 years ago for storage. It was after that I started putting on many new NOS parts. I'm planning to put some gas in it and see how it runs. Then I'll come up with a price. It will be fair and I want to include a bunch of NOS parts. I bought a wheel horse plow and never used it. The mounting hardware is on the tractor and I only mounted the blade assembly once to see how it works. Photos tomorrow.

Edited by henrylrjr

c-series don

Also the C-161 hood decal is on backwards! Not that it matters because you definitely have a C-160. 

Ed Kennell

Nuther '75.

58f2dafab6e24_IMG_1534(640x480).jpg.c6bbe2a7f348492521bc77966d1776a4.jpg

henrylrjr
17 hours ago, c-series don said:

Also the C-161 hood decal is on backwards! Not that it matters because you definitely have a C-160. 

I looked at many horses in the gallery and my decals look just like the rest. On the left  Wheel starts near the front of the hood and on the right side Wheel starts near the end of the hood close to the dashboard. Why do you think my is backwards?

20170413_143055_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

C-101 decal placement.58f3d2eb26e90_IMG_1809(640x480).jpg.372cc4cb5489fee740818beba336fb5d.jpg

• Like 1

henrylrjr

Seems like the bottom line is they are decals for a C161 and that is what makes them wrong. I still don't understand what was meant by " they are on backwards". Where can I get correct C160 decals?

Thanks,

henry

Ed Kennell

@Vinylguy   in the vendors section  for decals.       The decals are wrong for your C-160, but they are also installed on the wrong sides of the hood for a C-161.  

The C-161 goes to the front of the hood.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

Racinbob
1 hour ago, henrylrjr said:

I looked at many horses in the gallery and my decals look just like the rest. On the left  Wheel starts near the front of the hood and on the right side Wheel starts near the end of the hood close to the dashboard. Why do you think my is backwards?

20170413_143055_resized.jpg

It sounds like whoever put the decals on had two for the right side and just used them or if they are the original decals for that hood it could have happened at the factory. Since you're going to sell it I wouldn't worry about it. Other than the conflicting numbers few would even notice outside of this forum. :D

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Right you are Bob.   After reading his description, he has two right decals.  I just looked at the picture and assumed they were on the wrong sides.

• Like 1

henrylrjr

Here are pics of right and left side. They seem to be right and left hand decals. But if the C161 is supposed to be at the front of the hood, they were just put on the wrongs sides. Does that make sense? I know it doesn't really matter because many of the replies, and manuals I've looked at, verify it is really a C160.

Thanks,

Henry

20170413_143255_resized_1.jpg.30bd497837ed0d3336b93bd5c411c51e.jpg20170413_143050_resized.jpg.5ab1093d45164180e494f51acf17d1ad.jpg

Edited by henrylrjr
removed extra photo

Racinbob

:think: Your pictures didn't show up. If we could see them we could verify things for you. One thing that we do know is that you have a C-160. :)

henrylrjr
On 4/15/2017 at 8:30 PM, tims tractors said:

What would you want for it. Thanks. Tim

I think it is in good condition for a 75. Many NOS parts. I will be starting it soon, for the first time in about 3 years. If it runs like it use to...no smoke, no leaks and idles well, I'll probably be asking what folks think its worth. Tranny has always worked great since I got it in 83. New front tires going on this week.

woodchuckfarmer

Better shape than mine. Its got a bullet hole in the hood.

• Like 1

jay bee
23 minutes ago, woodchuckfarmer said:

Better shape than mine. Its got a bullet hole in the hood.

Next time your wife says "come in now, it's time for dinner" she means "COME IN NOW"

Jim

• Like 4

Ed Kennell
11 hours ago, woodchuckfarmer said:

Its got a bullet hole in the hood.

Shootin them "whistle pigs" from the tractor seat are Ya ?                   :text-offtopic:   Sorry.

woodchuck-eating.png

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

WHX??
11 hours ago, woodchuckfarmer said:

Its got a bullet hole in the hood.

Or were you rustling in a no rustling zone:ph34r:?!?!?!

• Like 1

can whlvr

Nice c160 i have one also and love her,its one of my tractors i will never sell,sorry bout your back,lots of us can empathize,im in europe right now and cant do very many things because of back issues,it was really hard just flyin over here,bet you will miss that great tractor