thehorse

FINALLY....The Holy Grail....I got a 520!

farmer

You sound like a happy bunny (appropriate) :rolleyes:

seems like the 520 is most people's weapon of choice, and that looks like a good'n. Good luck with it. 

• Like 1

Sodaking27

Nice looking 520. Congratulations.

cleat

Looks good.

Love my 520's

Cleat

• Like 1

bo dawg

Very nice! I too am a recent owner of 1. Got to love 'em.

EricF

:woohoo:

As a new 520H owner myself, congratulations! Looks like a '96 with the "anniversary" gold trim, too.

thehorse

It is the anniversary model. Going to need some new shoes on the back. Missing a bolt/or screw in a couple of placeson sheet metal but seems really nice and solid. 500 hrs so should have a long time. Any suggestions on an inexpensive but good turf tire??????

WHX??

Nice :handgestures-thumbupright:...looks to be taken care of as well.

@ACman can chime in on the new rears...he just reshod his on the cheap.

Feel free to use the 520 signature badge & welcome to the club!

• Like 1

lynnmor

He needs the gold badge for an anniversary model.

HorseFixer

NICE HORSE of COURSE!   :clap:     Let me present you your badge and wear it proudly.        Red_520_Club.png

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

best of luck........great machine.

Glenn

WVHillbilly520H

My first Wheel Horse (and bought new in '98) is a 1997 520H Anniversary ,755hrs now, seems that they made the Anniversary models '96-'97, check your serial number, 19 years and has exceeded my expectations mowing ,grading, gardening, and snow blowing, have another '95 520H with 295hrs on the clock, love my Onan powered :wh:, and good luck with yours, as far as tires ck :techie-ebay: for TracGard N-766 (bottom pic front tires) but in 23x10.50-12 usually a pair on there for less than $150 & free shipping to your door I really like the fronts as I have changed mine out and Ags on the rear, Jeff.

100_0461.JPG

IMAG3100.jpg

• Like 2

ACman

Check out this thread... 

dont know if they're still available as supplies were getting low . 

• Like 1

EricMassey

I love the 520's as well! It all started when my grand father bought one around 2000. It is a 91 model and at the time it had 1,100 hours on the clock now it is just shy of 1,800 hours. Then my dad found one in 2004. His is a 93 model and had right at 600 hours on the clock and now it's right at 900 hours. So I figured it was time for me to join the 520 club and I just picked up my 94 model a few months ago from the origional owner. It has 550 hours on it and came with a 60" deck, 42" snow blower, and a 48" snow plow. Just put all new tires on it. 23x10.50-12 firestone flotation 23's on the rear and 16x6.50-8 v61's 5 ribs on the front! I've mowed with it a couple times already and love it so far! Possibly looking into doing the hydro foot control soon! 

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2461.JPG

• Like 4

new horse

I love mine, its like driving an Imperial compared to my old tractor which is like driving a Pinto

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, new horse said:

I love mine, its like driving an Imperial compared to my old tractor which is like driving a Pinto

I'll agree I had an 520xi series for a little while (as it was a nice machine and this is IMHO) it was ok but not my 520H classic after 19 years the H has more front axle articulation beefier tie rods and that sweet opposed twin Onan, the xi tighter turning radius 2 speed trans foot pedal motion control and lowered trans tunnel but I'm still partial to the H, Jeff.

• Like 2

EricF

I got lucky, with my first 'Horse turning out to be a 520... It's got everything I could want -- Bulletproof Wheel Horse chassis and axles, an overall design that's focused on being simple, tough, and repairable, and the torque from that opposed-twin Onan. The icing on the cake has to be the reduction-gear steering and the full instrument panel.

Here's a hint I've learned from mine -- check the entire linkage of the hydro motion control. Lift the seat and make sure the friction nut on the center of the motion-control cam is snug, but not too tight. (The manual says it should take about 4 - 6 pounds of force to move it; in other words, it should stay put but you should still be able to move it smoothly with your fingers.) Apply a thin film of waterproof grease on all of the cam's sliding surfaces to smooth it out. Do the same where the lever control shaft goes through the guide slots behind the dashboard -- it follows a dog-leg slot that imparts the push-down-to reverse motion. Just a little rubbed on the surfaces is all it takes. Then take off the center tunnel cover -- only four screws hold it on. Clean out any accumulated gunk, dirt, and grass clippings, and then put a dab of 30-weight oil on all the pivots for the hydro control linkage that runs through there (wiggle the lever and you'll see it instantly.) With the hydro motion linkage cleaned and lubed, you'll have amazingly fine control. I can make mine creep so slowly I can line it up in a tight parking spot in my garage with virtually no clearance on either side without brushing against a thing. It's little things like that that make the 520 so satisfying to run. :thumbs2:

• Like 4

thehorse

Good info. 

Thank you

WVHillbilly520H

@EricF, I agree with most of what you said about the motion control linkage but grease on the hydro cam, dry graphite powder is better choice as is doesn't attract dust/chaffe, and yes like you I have no issues with the column stalk even when using the snow plow or blower and using the hydraulics all at the same time (even with the Xi's foot pedal the throttle/choke and hydraulic lever were on opposite sides of the dash so that was a learning curve for me after 19 years on the H) for me the 520H is the one :wh:, Jeff.

• Like 1

EricF

Yes, I thought about a dry lubricant on mine, but the cam is so easy to get to by flipping the seat up, I can wipe it up any time I want. Also, it looked like it hadn't gotten any attention in years -- odd, since it was apparently serviced at least occasionally by a local tractor dealer. Had that fine whitish film of surface oxidation that the cad plating can get. I decided to put a dab of grease on the contact surfaces, wipe off the excess so there's just a thin film, and let it work into the metal surfaces. After running a while and wiping it all down, it'll probably be fine with just dry lube after that. Just seemed like it needed a little extra TLC to get it started off right. Or maybe I just like to baby my new 'Horse! :lol:

thehorse

I ordered 2 of the sutong wd1044

rears. Will let you know what I think.