erikj17

314-H Drive Belt Install

erikj17

I picked this bad boy up for $200 about 2 years ago and have had literally zero issues... until recently. I've searched the interwebs for what seems like days... yet I can't find a single picture for the drive belt diagram on my 314-H. I assume it's because it's super simple, but the belt guards have me concerned enough to ask.

While pulling my leaf sweeper last fall, my drive belt snapped. I'd never taken anything apart on the tractor since I got it, so I have no clue as to the routing regarding the belt guards. I picked up belt 108501, took some stuff apart, got it installed the way I think it goes, but when I push the "Brake & Clutch Handle" in (the pulley partially hidden by the rear of the footrest goes down, applying tension to the belt), the belt seems to come in contact with the upper belt guard more than I am comfortable with.

I'm basically looking for someone to tell me if that's normal.

Side note: I am aware of the broken spring behind the pulley now. Looks like something else I need to replace.

IMAG1251.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Are you sure you have the correct drive belt? Twin cylinder engines use a different one and the parts lists are not always clear.

Transmission drive belt 108501 - (HB/5L x 81.50" or 5/8" x 81.5")

Tractor model number and serial number would point us to the correct parts list.

Garry

• Like 1

jackhammer

I was wrong - you said drive belt, , in my haste I spoke of deck belt. Sorry.

Edited by jackhammer

oldlineman

As Garry says, to me the belt looks too long. I believe with the pulley in that position the belt should be under tension.With more information Garry will be able to set uyou straight with correct belt.

Edited by oldlineman

erikj17

Model Number 73401

Serial Number 4900352

Belt Number 108501 was visibly printed on the belt that snapped (as well as matched my 3319-160 parts catalog that I found after some digging on the internet...which was the closest thing I could find to model 73401)

As for slack in the belt, the "COLD START CLUTCH" has been pulled up in my originally-posted picture. When I push it in (see attached), you can see what concerned me... the belt is riding pretty hard against that bottom belt guard.

Also note that I can't fully engage the clutch (see attached picture - I'm pushing pretty hard). This makes me think 1) the belt is too short, or 2) I'm not routed around these belt guards correctly.

IMAG1255.jpg

IMAG1256.jpg

Edited by erikj17

oldlineman

Should the lower part of the belt be on top of that guide just asking can you tell from wear marks witch side. Someone will know for sure and help you out, I have all 8 speeds.

1995 520H+96+97

The old belt was not rubbing on the top of the lower guide, the belt has to go were it is now.

Spin the idler pulley to make sure it spins freely, replace your broken spring.

Start the engine with the guard off to see what happens. :wh:

gwest_ca

I think the belt should go above the lower guide also. It appears it was above at one time because the front end is rusted where it wore the paint off. May also be why the belt broke. With the belt tight it should just clear the bottom guide. Are the guard mounting holes slotted so the guide can be adjusted?

Here are the correct manuals for your 1994 model.

When the belt is loose the bottom span needs to be supported by a guard so the engine pulley will let go of it allowing it to slip. Same with the gear transmissions.

Garry

oldlineman

Thats what I thought Garry I think the belt should be on top of the lower guide look how the top frount and rear edges are turned down a little so the belt would slide better, plus would support the belt when loose so it could slide on engine drive pulley.:twocents-02cents:   Bob

doc724

Here is the correct answer I believe.  How do I know this?  I am in the process of refurbishing my C125 that has an Eaton 1100 just like the 314H and I just crawled under it.

1.  The correct belt length is 81.5 inches as Garry said

2.  The belt does indeed sit on top of the lower support (not underneath it)

3.  The spring on the tensioner must be functional (ie not broken).  The tensioner is a cam and without the spring, nothing will work right.  The purpose of the tensioner is to take pressure off the belt during starting and apply it when you want to move the machine.  Most interesting, however, is thatWH did away with it by 1996.  My 416H does not have one so I surmise that the hydro pump at that time came equipped with a relief valve of some kind to make starting easier

• Like 1

erikj17

Well, that's curious. First, thank you for the documentation. Very much appreciated. Appears I need to order spring #107938. Also, no, the guard holes are not slotted on the frame, but slightly slotted on the guard.

The bottom of my bottom guard (#106209-03) is worn (see attached). It also appears to not be at a 90 deg angle (bent slightly upwards), but this bracket seems to be much less stout than the upper guard. It also appears that routing the belt above the guard would result in an odd angle almost guaranteeing the belt would come into contact with it. I suppose I could route the belt on top and bend the guard back into shape and hope it clears?

Whole thing is pretty confusing to me. I suppose it is conceivable the belt was incorrectly installed and bent the guard. Kind of why I was hoping someone might have a picture or a diagram.

Thank you all for the feedback though!

IMAG1259_red.jpg

IMAG1258_red.jpg

IMAG1257_red.jpg

Edited by erikj17

gwest_ca

I think you are on the right track now. Hoping bending the support to 90 degrees gives the required clearance.

That support on many models is part of the outer belt guard which your model likely does not have. Makes sense that it be adjustable.

Let us know how it works out.

Garry

erikj17

Alrighty... the part came in yesterday, so I spent my lunch hour today installing it.

I bent the lower guide down a bit to be more of a 90 deg angle.

I'll fire it up and attempt to put 'er in drive this weekend.

Any perceived issues with this belt routing? Seems to look pretty good to me...

IMAG1283_red.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

That looks better.

Garry

• Like 1