Lee1977

Had a little problem while mowing.

Lee1977

I was mowing some tall grass and it was cutting great. Some of it didn't get cut last fall, it was around 24" tall and most of that was dead. Had to mow over it three times.

Got all that cleaned up and started to mow around the house, the painter had left some wood laying around he used to level his ladder. Got off to move those, got back on engaged the PTO and started to mow, look back it was doing anything. The PTO was turning the belt was moving, wasn't squealing but the blades weren't turning. Stop it off checked the deck it was fine belt on, turning freely. Though the snap ring on the short shaft had poped out of the groove, nope wasn't that. Checked the belt it was tight, checked PTO rod, seemed tight. Then I noticed the the clutch pin had hit the PTO pulley. When I looked closer the roll pin in the clutch loop had broken off on one side.

Was much but it stopped me from mowing. I'll check after while to see if the clutch loop in the 312 will work it looks to be the same. Don't want to change the deck, and the 312 is down with a gas leak in the fuel line. Guess I need another Wheel Horse.

• Like 2

953 nut
5 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Guess I need another Wheel Horse.

:handgestures-thumbupright:    Always pays to have a back-up :wh:      :ychain:   Parts like that interchange very well, should be able to get a new one at Tractor Supply or Lowe's.

• Like 2

Tankman
10 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Guess I need another Wheel Horse.

Correct! We all need multiple Horses for backup and miscellaneous chores.

A lonely Horse is a sad Horse:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
5 hours ago, Tankman said:

Correct! We all need multiple Horses for backup and miscellaneous chores.

A lonely Horse is a sad Horse:handgestures-thumbupright:

hey my 701 is stuck in my shed with my sears ss15 so is it still lonely lol. right next to my shed is my leanto with my workhorse 700 and dads 502 lol

• Like 1

Lee1977

I got it fixed, should have lasted longer then 40 years it's a Wheel Horse. Went to take the loop off the 312 and found the clevis half off on it. Been using it with the blade and pulling the trailer. finished knocking the clevis off as the roll pin was loose in the clevis. Found a couple of 5/32" x 1 1/4" roll pin at Tractor Supply. Got the last two they had. That place gets worse on having anything every time I go there. I used the clevis off the 312 on the C-120 as the loop holds the roll pin on it. Took the one from the C-120 welded the holes shut and drill them 5/32" and put it on the 312 as the clevis holds the roll pin on it.

They are both just a temporally fix should last a few years. I'll try to find some 5/32" x1 1/2" roll pins before then.

• Like 1

Lee1977

That fix on my C-120 was more temporal then I thought. I lasted about an acre and a half. I knew I need at least a 1 1/2" long roll pin. The 1 1/4" was just to short it slip off and quit mowing as I was mowing the side of the road on the way back to the house.

953 nut
10 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

temporal then I thought.

At least you know what is needed and that it will work.  :text-bravo:

• Like 1

1995 520H+96+97

A nail works for awhile.:roll:

• Like 1

Lee1977

Chapter II

Fixed the roll pin problem with the longer pin.  With the pin breaking and the short pin coming out of the clevis causing the clevis pin to rub on the pulley caused more trouble. Melted the grease it got all over the clutch lining and the short shaft.causing me to tighten the clutch to get it to cut. This caused the snap ring to come out of the groove. I had just started to mow the back yard. Pulled the PTO apart and checked if I had a new snap ring,didn't. Grab a can of carburetor cleaner sprayed down the clutch lining a couple of time wiped with paper towels. Took the short shaft out sprayed it down and cleaned out the groove put it back together switch the snap rings put the back one out front and finished the back yard. The joy of using a 40 year old machine, at least it's fixable.

• Like 2

953 nut

Sounds like you made the best of an unpleasant situation.  :handgestures-thumbupright: