dmark84

Hello from Greenville South Carolina

dmark84

Hello folks!

We only have a half acre of grass, but I was tired of sweating in the SC sun using a tiny 21" push mower. I looked at brand new riding mowers, but just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money for a flimsy looking machine. So I started searching for well made vintage machines and discovered Wheel Horse. I found this 312-8 on craigslist and dragged it home for $360. Somebody tried to touch it up with red spray paint (ugh) but it runs and mows.

Here's what I know so far: it's a 312-8 with a 42" SD deck and a Kohler Magnum 12. Sadly a serial number is nowhere to be found (maybe painted over?). The engine numbers are also faded to oblivion. The deck is a 05-42MS05. Can anyone help identify the model year? I'm guessing 1987+ because it has the M12. More photos here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5dezknlauktq4ti/AADS3wug2ixnNy0nIiiHaIsEa?dl=0

I'm planning to change fluids, new tires & tubes, and new blades. Where is the best place to buy parts online? I figure my local dealer(s) will be more expensive for parts.

Thanks!

Daniel in Greenville, SC

IMG_1096.jpg

• Like 4

Achto

:WRS:  Nice machine you have there! It will last much longer than the new box store units.  www.psep.biz is a good source for parts. Also check here under RedSquare links for many other suppliers.

• Like 2

19richie66

Welcome to Red Square. I hope to be a fellow South Carolinian one day. Looking to move to the Pickens area in a few years when the wife retires. Nice ride you have there. Definitely better than a box store rider and a push mower. 

T-Mo

:WRS:

Nice tractor you have.  The M12 was in the 312-8 from 1987 to 1997.  Since it doesn't have "Toro" on the decal, it's earlier than 1990, when Toro started placing their names on the decals.  So yours could be 1987, 1988, or a 1989.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:      The 312-8 is a great worker and you got it at a good price.  I have found that AgriSupply.com is a great source for normal maintenance parts and blades; I think they have a store in Greenville.

Looked it up, the store is in Greenville NC. Best to buy on line.   :hide:

Edited by 953 nut

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

gwest_ca

Here is a manual for your mower deck

An operator manual that will work for you

Garry

• Like 2

jay bee

:text-welcomeconfetti: Daniel to the :rs:  That's a nice tractor for your first :wh: but watch out, they like to multiply!!!!

Jim

• Like 1

JC 1965

:WRS:

dmark84

Thanks for the warm welcome and the PDF manuals! I'm impressed with this community and glad I bought a Wheel Horse.

This weekend I dug thru parts schematics at partstree.com and then searched around by part number to find decent prices.

I ended up placing an order with mowpart.com because they had good prices and seem able to source all the parts.

My order hasn't shipped yet, so still waiting to see if they can really source everything I ordered.

I also found this old Toro Wheel Horse dump wagon on craigslist for $75.

It's seen better days, but will be a solid worker after I install a set of inner tubes (or new tires).

There is a faded white label that reads "No. 15516" but I'm not sure if that is a model or serial number.

IMG_1149.JPG

• Like 2

DougC

Hello and  :text-welcomeconfetti:  Enjoy the forum.  :)

gwest_ca

Looked to see what years they were building attachments around serial 15516. Some possibilities are 1976, 1979, 1987 and 1988 but that is an extremely wild guess. They may have been available 1976-1985 only.

This one has a list of the 10 cu ft dump trailers that I named DNA

Garry

• Like 1