bmsgaffer

Blackhood Cradle Mount Bolt question

bmsgaffer

So I took off the engine to my C-105 and found one of those solid iron cradle mount bars to be loose. Turns out that one of the bolts had sheared off. I was able to remove it, but I had a question about the choice of fastener here. 

On the rear bar, Wheel horse used a heavy duty set screw threaded into the bar then a nut from below. Does anyone one know why they did this, and is it necessary, or can I use a regular bolt here?

Items #23 and 24 here.

#23 - 909885 Allen HD Set Screw 3/8-16 x 1 3/4 (2)

#24 - 915113 Eslock Nut 3/8-16 (2)

58ee3938f04f3_2017-04-1208_59_23-Tractor1983C-SeriesIPL810324R1.pdf-AdobeAcrobatReaderDC.png.3c610a95e88a30dbe1704905ec559153.png

pacer

Ive been into 2-3 of those (not my favorite mounting method!) and they seemed to be the common type - without knowing exactly. Even if not common I would go back with that. Whats really amazing is you didnt even mention the rubber pads being rotten :-o.

• Like 2

JimD

I believe item 24 is a stud for positioning the mounting bar so it's in the correct hole then you  bolt the engine down with the nut. Someone will correct me if I'm  wrong here. This way the bolts will line up as they should for finishing bolting the engine down.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer
10 hours ago, pacer said:

Ive been into 2-3 of those (not my favorite mounting method!) and they seemed to be the common type - without knowing exactly. Even if not common I would go back with that. Whats really amazing is you didnt even mention the rubber pads being rotten :-o.

They are cracking but not completely rotten (this tractor has been stored inside and fairly lightly used for all of its life). I am very torn whether i drop the coin on a new set (i dont mind them) or try to have something made up to replace them solid. I have a big 16hp going in it.

doc724

I often wondered the same thing.  I came to the same conclusion as JimD, the studs are to aid in assembly.  What I have yet to figure out is what is the intended order of assembly?  Engine to cradle and then cradle to the blocks and finally blocks to the tractor or engine to cradle, blocks to the tractor and then cradle to the blocks????

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I was wondering the same thing Don... I guess we may never know!