Jon T

I'm Stuck with a lawn tractor that won't quite start

Jon T

Hi all,

Oddly I just replaced the old battery, however, upon turning the key I get the light and it turns over once and then stops - light still on.  This has happened repeatedly.  I hooked to car with jump cables, but same problem with turning over once.and still I get a light,

Any ideas from the experts?  In my past I have run into that it won't turn over and other times it turns over, but won't start, but this is a new one on me.  Look forward to any advice!  Thanks in advance,   Jon 

RandyLittrell

I'm not an expert, but we are gonna need more info. Give us make, model, what kind of motor. Pics never hurt either. 

Randy

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Could you post the model / year so folks have a bit more to go on?

rmaynard

Yup. What they all said. There is no way to give you any credible info without knowing what model you are talking about. However, having said that, your problem sounds like a starter to me.

:WRS:

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

I agree with Bob, that does sound like a starter problem.

It is very easy  to test the starter.    Install a jumper cable from the + battery post directly to the + post on the starter.  

If the starter spins the engine, then the starter is OK, and the problem is in the solenoid, wiring, or ignition switch.

• Like 2

Jon T

Thanks very much all.  The tractor is a Wheel Horse 312-8 and the engine is a Magnum Kohler 12.  The vintage is '88 or '89.  I have to hit the dentist, but will start trying suggestions this afternoon first bypassing the starter.  Still puzzled that it would turn over once. 

Jon

pfrederi

Can you turn the engine over more than one turn by hand ??? (Pull the spark plug make it easier for yourself to turn it)

if not something internal to the engine maybe the issue

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:    The first step in curing any electrical problem is to clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds. Be sure the starter mounting bolts are tight too.

• Like 2

Digger 66

Going through this with my zero-turn right now .

I think the experts are right . Leaning toward the starter myself . 

My ground cable is getting warm too . Might want to check that .

Jon T

Update:  I took your advice and hooked the jumper cable between the positive battery terminal and the starter which had it cranking great until it started.  My lawn is now mowed in the nick of time as portions were overdue.  Now I still have the problem without "hot-wiring" so I need to start cleaning connections when I get a chance to see what that does.  If that doesn't work I'll check back in with you experts.  I really like this, but need to pay back with no obvious way.  How about a Dad/Granddad joke?

Why didn't the bicycle stand up by itself?  It was two tired.   :) 

Thanks gang!

Jon

• Like 1

953 nut
12 minutes ago, Jon T said:

Why didn't the bicycle stand up by itself?  It was two tired.

Did you hear about the magic tractor? It turned into a field!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, Jon T said:

.  I really like this, but need to pay back with no obvious way.  

Thanks gang!        

Jon

That( thanks gang !) is all the pay back we need.    We do like pictures and if you would like to become a supporting member, click on the Store(support RS) at the top of this page for plan options.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
22 hours ago, Jon T said:

Thanks very much all.  The tractor is a Wheel Horse 312-8 and the engine is a Magnum Kohler 12.  The vintage is '88 or '89.  I have to hit the dentist, but will start trying suggestions this afternoon first bypassing the starter.  Still puzzled that it would turn over once. 

Jon

I have had trouble with [no start] tractors of that vintage getting dirt and battery fumes into the little ATC fuse block. Pull the fuses,blow out with air, and use penetrating oil, and re-install.

On my tractors, the fuse block is below the battery and just inside the blade clutch control handle, but mine are Onans, so YMMV. Safety switches like the seat switch are also something to check.

Good job on bypassing the thing to get your yard mowed. Out on the farm, we did that more than once, but there were also reports occasionally of farmers being hurt or killed by jumping the starter and not checking if the tractor was in gear.. Dad always did his with one of us on the seat, tractor out of gear, and pushing in the clutch

• Like 3