briankd

additive in gas

briankd

anyone here prefer a additive in gas to clean the fuel system? seafoam got real crazy priced around 10 bucks at wallyworld  been using berrymans. it is about 3 bucks and some change. everytime i get  a five gallon can gas i like to put something in it and use it in tractor everytime i mow or other chores. least if carbs get crapy it will help keep them clean. no one around me sells the non ethanol gas anymore but did find VP FUELS does offer 5 gallon cans but seen price and it was 95 bucks for a sealed 5 gallon can of non ethanol gas 87 octane. that is crazy i just laughed and walked out of station the towel heads own it and gave me a dumb look. 

WVHillbilly520H

2x on the Berryman B-12 if you can find it the have a "high mileage" version with stronger cleaners, Jeff.

Elkskin's mower junkyard

marvel mystery oil i use once in a while exspecially in engines i get that sat around alot gets treatments of it. wintertime i usually use it if stuff sits. but other than that rarely do i add anything unless its stable to rototillers or snowblowers. all tractors run all year round well the ones that run. no non ethonal near me

Adams94

I like seafom a lot but I only use it occasionally because it isn't cheap.  It does work well.

• Like 4

JAinVA

I use Sea Foam in all my machines.I have a 1968 Cub Loboy that would run for ten minutes and quit.I let it sit for ten minutes and it would restart and run for ten minutes and quit.I checked everything in the fuel system and found nothing wrong.Good flow to the carb.Several versions of the carb so I was reluctant to pull it apart.Dumped some Sea Foam in the tank and it brought the old girl back to life.That was two years ago.Still going strong. I am a believer and recommend it to anyone.I use it and I know it isn't cheap but if it keeps the machines running I'm willing to buy it.I also use Stabil and run Ethanol free gas in all my air cooled engines.That includes the two strokes.I think that the days of going to the filling station and getting gas without further treantment are gone.JMHO JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

WHX??

I guess I don't understand your beef is @briankd  since around here ther is no less than 3 different types of gas available at any larger filling station with the top tier always above 90 octane and corn free. I have been known to pick up a can of seafoam now and then as it did work good in the 520 but it is getting pricy. Anyone check out the prices of Lucas Oil products these days? That's nuts!  There are these supposed octane boosters at most auto parts places but they ain't exactly given that stuff away either. With a herd of thirsty horses that doesn't last long , especially with that aforementioned 520! :) Always skeptical of does it do what it's supposed as well.

A couple of posts here mention the use of common  ATF as a detergent and fuel/oil additive? I know it's not an octane booster but what the heck if it's supposed to keep our small engines cleaner I am going to give it a shot. 

• Like 2

tunahead72

I've been using StarTron Enzyme Fuel Treatment for several years in my 310-8 and my motorcycle, as well as my chain saw and string trimmer, all of which go through periods where they just sit and don't get used.  It came highly recommended from a couple of my mechanics and the auto parts place I use most often.  StarTron claims to "cure and prevent ethanol fuel problems", and I can only say I haven't had any fuel-related problems on these machines since I started using it.  It's not very expensive, and I just pour about an ounce into a 5-gallon can every time I need to refill it.

My C-105 lives in Virginia, and is lucky enough to have several sources of ethanol-free gas nearby.

As for a "complete fuel system cleaner", I would recommend Techron.  I used to use this in all my engines, before I switched over to StarTron for the smaller stuff, and I still use it in my cars.

6bg6ga

I've used a top cylinder treatment over the years. Can't remember its full name however. I have used ATF in both my oil and my gas for close to 50 years now and never had a problem.. Its a highly refined oil and seems to clean. You certainly don't need to add much to a small gas tank.

classicdmax

I use startron as well and use it with all my small engine stuff. I also buy the highest octane at the pump I can find for there are no ethanol free stations near buy. I'd live to use vp but can't afford that for everyday use

WHX??
3 hours ago, 6bg6ga said:

ATF in both my oil and my gas

And gas 6bg?? does it smoke a little more? Probably wouldn't make some of my Kohlers smoke anymore than they do now!  Reminds me of premix for 2 strokes! Are we just talking say maybe an once in the average 1.5- 2 gallon front of dash horse tank?

I was never a big believer in any gas or oil treatment or any of these so called "tune ups in a can". Felt that regular oil changes and clean proper fuel was the best & overhaul when they get noisy & smoky.

9 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

chain saw and string trimmer,

So I bought a new Husky weed wacker last summer and was offered to buy three cans of the bottled 90+ octane pre-mix gas at around 7 a quart can. Warranty would go up to five years so kinda of a no brainer. Grabbed a can once to put in the old  POS weed wacker and made a big difference in how it ran. Tried it in a chainsaw just for grins and again a huge difference. Much easier to start the finicky two strokes. If you ever whiff the stuff it doesn't even smell like gas. More like some kind of solvent for lack of a better description. Stuff is supposed to have a shelf life of 5 years. Starting to change my tune about fuel additives/alternatives now.

Now I see it all over wallyworlds & the rest of the big boxes & power shops in both 40 and 50/1 mixes at anywhere from 5 to 10 bucks a can.

Is this what you are talking about Tuna? Looks like one bottle does quite abit of gas. I suppose for that price it won't hurt to try but I noticed it doesn't say anything about being a octane booster?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/star-tron-enzyme-fuel-treatment-8-oz?cm_mmc%3DSEM-_-Google-_-DynamicAdGroups-_-AllSiteTSCCirc1705&gclid=CjwKEAjwoLfHBRD_jLW93remyAQSJABIygGptiev0OvDx1TFEi4C6C2_J4z-qpfKSGwnmz41Tjvk2hoCzOfw_wcB

• Like 2

tunahead72
5 hours ago, WHX11 said:

Is this what you are talking about Tuna? Looks like one bottle does quite abit of gas. I suppose for that price it won't hurt to try but I noticed it doesn't say anything about being a octane booster?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/star-tron-enzyme-fuel-treatment-8-oz?cm_mmc%3DSEM-_-Google-_-DynamicAdGroups-_-AllSiteTSCCirc1705&gclid=CjwKEAjwoLfHBRD_jLW93remyAQSJABIygGptiev0OvDx1TFEi4C6C2_J4z-qpfKSGwnmz41Tjvk2hoCzOfw_wcB

Yeah, that's the stuff.  The manufacturer recommends one ounce for each 6 gallons of gas. I usually add one ounce every time I fill up my 5-gallon gas can.  At roughly $8.00 for an 8-oz. container, that works out to an extra dollar or so for every 5 gallons of gas, or an extra twenty cents per gallon.

The pre-mixed products are definitely pricey, which is why I don't use them.  I just use my gasoline/StarTron mixture when it's time to mix another batch of 2-cycle mix, it seems to work just fine in my machines.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Marvel Mystery Oil, is a good top cylinder lube and gas additive, but don't overdose, it will "smoke" noticablly, keeps dad's older Kohlers happy.

• Like 1

6bg6ga

Yup I remember Marvel. There were several old brands and yes don't over do it. That little can treated about 20 gal of gas so very little in the Horse tank will do.

Built a lot of small block Chevy's over the years as well as GTO's and others. Always hated a engine that didn't use just a little oil. Personally I would rather see a touch of smoke as none at all.

• Like 2

WHX??
13 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Marvel Mystery Oil, is a good top cylinder lube and gas additive

For some reason MMO always reminded me of a thinner ATF.  Same with stabil.. maybe cause of the RED color or bottle!

Brian1054

Along these same lines, what do you guys use in the fuel for your pre-unleaded era engines? I've always heard that after the switch to unleaded fuel the manufacturers had to use valves or valve seats that were hardened because the leaded fuel was easier on them. Maybe that's just a bunch of nonsense though.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, Brian1054 said:

Along these same lines, what do you guys use in the fuel for your pre-unleaded era engines? I've always heard that after the switch to unleaded fuel the manufacturers had to use valves or valve seats that were hardened because the leaded fuel was easier on them. Maybe that's just a bunch of nonsense though.

It's true, the lead was the "lube" for the valve and seat, especially cars which turns higher rpms, unleaded will eventually cause valve/seat issues if not treated with a lead substitute or hardened seat valve job, Jeff.

Brian1054

Am I correct in thinking it was mid 60's or later when the change over started?

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, Brian1054 said:

Am I correct in thinking it was mid 60's or later when the change over started?

From what I remember in auto tech school right up through the mid '70s because some manufacturers either did not use up all old parts or weren't in the biggest of hurry to retool, but with warranties I'm sure that bit them in a$$ , as well as leaded still being around after catalytic converters came out ,getting clogged with lead.

Brian1054
2 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

From what I remember in auto tech school right up through the mid '70s because some manufacturers either did not use up all old parts or weren't in the biggest of hurry to retool, but with warranties I'm sure that bit them in a$$ , as well as leaded still being around after catalytic converters came out ,getting clogged with lead.

So it sounds like a good number of us should be using some kind of lead substitute in our horses

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Guess it can't hurt but remember we ain't turning the rpms either, another thing is the oil higher amounts of ZDDP the better especially with the flat tappet cams, check old car forums, Jeff.

• Like 1

ACman

I personally use Star-Tron fuel treatment in all the fuel I buy for my small engines (2&4 stroke) and the highest octane available. No issues to report so far :) .

2 hours ago, Brian1054 said:

I've asked this same question before... http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/61255-gasoline-additive/#comment-568256

WHX??

Interesting thread ther Jeff ... I don't think the no lead thing has a big impact on our Kohlers. I have run cheap ethanol laden gas  :hide: in a few of my horses for years and the one I have on the bench now shows no ill effects on the valves. In fact they look pretty good  One does have to wonder if this might contribute to valve issues in the Onan's?? 

Is there even a lead substitute additive even availailable these days?

I am thinging the the lead change thing happened in the 70's @Brian1054 ???

Billy is right tho about we are what turning only 3600 rpms in our gems. But then again we got air cooled motors too right? ....Cept maybe for Billie's Dxi with the cat converter! :lol::ychain:

• Like 3

Brian1054

What made me wonder, was looking at some info that our engines are designed to be run at WOT all the time where as a car spends alot of time at idle and cruising below our engines rpms. I suspect that over the entire life of the engine it comes close to averaging out on total number of Rpms turned. I know that my bronco very rarely hit 3k RpMs, but I don't get in a hurry anymore. Got a few tickets back when I had the money to have muscle cars;)

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

I just read a few months back that the Government wants to up the gas to 15% ethanol.  And small engine manufacturer are  saying that will hurt the small engines to run on that much ethanol and it will destroy gaskets and seals and small engines. Way to go Uncle Sam . I am a Firm believer in sea foam . I buy it by the gal at auto store it's cheaper by the gallon. Works great on crud in gas system. 

• Like 2