slim67

Iowa class battleships

953 nut
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

get the EMHO log signed.

No, but I was young and gullible enough that I would have fallen for it and gotten to know lots of people.  So, how many signatures did you get @stevasaurus?

stevasaurus

They didn't pick on me for that Richard, I got to see it happen.  :)

• Like 1

MalMac

Jumping in here a little late to the party. The idea of bringing the four Iowa sisters back to me is a personal thing just because I happen to like them and when I was I the Corps the USS New Jersey just happen to give the Recon team I was attached to a lift back to the states. (I was not Recon just attached to a unit.)

From a dollar and cents view it would be very impractical and just finding old salts that knew how to operated the old girls might be a task in itself. 

Now as a Marine I can tell you it was always comforting when you were hostile fire to know there was big Artillery around to support you or to look up and see loaded for bear air support. Nothing more comforting then to see a Navy or Marine Corps jet and his wing man getting ready to blow the heck out of someone trying to put extra holes in you. Now about bringing back the 4 grand ol lady's, even old that kind of conventional fire power can still raise havoc. Now just the mentle image they protray to the enemy is threatening. Even though a modern vessel, with all its missiles and what knot is a dangerous weapon, they don't portray the image the battleships do. The guided missile frigate fire power is hid from view. When you look out and see the big 16" guns it has a mentle effect. If it doesn't then maybe there is something wrong with you. Like said they are the pride of the nation. They represent the strength of are nation and the will to enforce what diplomacy can't. Just the thought that they are out there is very comforting to a Marine that might have to go in through a amphibious landing or even a air assault. So yes I think the four old sisters should be out sailing around the world if not for anything else just to let the world know the US is out here.

• Like 2

slim67
14 hours ago, MalMac said:

Jumping in here a little late to the party. The idea of bringing the four Iowa sisters back to me is a personal thing just because I happen to like them and when I was I the Corps the USS New Jersey just happen to give the Recon team I was attached to a lift back to the states. (I was not Recon just attached to a unit.)

From a dollar and cents view it would be very impractical and just finding old salts that knew how to operated the old girls might be a task in itself. 

Now as a Marine I can tell you it was always comforting when you were hostile fire to know there was big Artillery around to support you or to look up and see loaded for bear air support. Nothing more comforting then to see a Navy or Marine Corps jet and his wing man getting ready to blow the heck out of someone trying to put extra holes in you. Now about bringing back the 4 grand ol lady's, even old that kind of conventional fire power can still raise havoc. Now just the mentle image they protray to the enemy is threatening. Even though a modern vessel, with all its missiles and what knot is a dangerous weapon, they don't portray the image the battleships do. The guided missile frigate fire power is hid from view. When you look out and see the big 16" guns it has a mentle effect. If it doesn't then maybe there is something wrong with you. Like said they are the pride of the nation. They represent the strength of are nation and the will to enforce what diplomacy can't. Just the thought that they are out there is very comforting to a Marine that might have to go in through a amphibious landing or even a air assault. So yes I think the four old sisters should be out sailing around the world if not for anything else just to let the world know the US is out here.

I couldnt agree more.I get chills thinking what the Montana class would have been if they were built. Watch out Yamato class! 

• Like 1