slim67

Iowa class battleships

slim67

This is not a political thread and I don't want it to turn into one. But as I read the news of carrier strike force 1s deployment towards NK, I wonder what are the chances of recommissioning the Iowa class ships? I still think a 16 inch round still works the way it always has when computers and electronics fail. Being that the current C in C wants to grow the navy and many of you members have naval service, is it possible? I'm thinking back to when Reagan brought them out of mothballs. Throw the U.S.S. North Carolina in the group to. She should still be seaworthy, no? 

• Like 5

T-Mo

I was on the USS Missouri in the early 90s, working on the Harpoon Canister Launchers.  Actually, I was in a crane above the ship's deck, inspecting the Harpoon's engine area for masking FOD (foreign object debris).  I walked by the USS Iowa, I believe in Norfolk, Virginia, when we were working on the Harpoon Wing & Fin racks on Frigates, also in the early 90s.  From what I understand, the Navy decommissioned them due to the high cost of maintaining them.  All four were donated to museums, so I doubt if we ever see them re-commissioned again, but who knows.  I would imagine the cost to get them up to sea worthy, plus upgrading them to modern warfare techniques and equipment, would be a very huge cost to the Navy, so I still doubt if that would happen.

• Like 1

WHX??

While I enjoyed being stationed on one for two weeks  when in the reserves, more for window dressing for tourists than anything and to maintain for a museum piece.  Here is a good article on why they won't be back Slim.

http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/shipshape/rise-and-fall-battleship-and-why-they-wont-be-coming-back

• Like 2

slim67
56 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

While I enjoyed being stationed on one for two weeks  when in the reserves, more for window dressing for tourists than anything and to maintain for a museum piece.  Here is a good article on why they won't be back Slim.

http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/shipshape/rise-and-fall-battleship-and-why-they-wont-be-coming-back

That was an interesting article Jim. Sadly it's true but it was a good fantasy.

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Already been done...

• Like 4

slim67
1 minute ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: Already been done...

I love sci -fi but have resisted seeing that movie for some reason . I guess now is the time.

953 nut

The Battle Ships are an amazing monster of the sea, but recruiting and training enough personnel to operate and maintain one and the price of putting one back in service would be prohibitive. We do need to update the fleet, no doubt about that. The USS Carl Vinson, the carrier that took care of business in Syria, is 35 years old and is considered modern. It is now on the way to Korea and at 30 knots it will take forever.

There has been talk of developing a rapid deployment force and with modern missile technology we don.t need mega ships, in my opinion.  :soapbox:

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

dont forget the new jersey. it sits in camden as a tourist attraction.  

just commenting, I want to read that article. on why they wont recommision them.  I have been on the Massachsettes, the North Carolins, and Sadly, not the New Jersey. Imho, these old  ships are antiques. they served thier duty. Its just old stuff.

Glenn

• Like 2

slim67
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The Battle Ships are an amazing monster of the sea, but recruiting and training enough personnel to operate and maintain one and the price of putting one back in service would be prohibitive. We do need to update the fleet, no doubt about that. The USS Carl Vinson, the carrier that took care of business in Syria, is 35 years old and is considered modern. It is now on the way to Korea and at 30 knots it will take forever.

There has been talk of developing a rapid deployment force and with modern missile technology we don.t need mega ships, in my opinion.  :soapbox:

Arent they coming out with the Gerald Ford class soon?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

• Like 1

953 nut
17 minutes ago, slim67 said:

the Gerald Ford class

Yes, they are building one every three or four years. What I was referring to is smaller, faster, more agile ships that focus on the pin point accuracy and strategic strikes rather than a 13 Billion dollar floating city.

slim67
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Yes, they are building one every three or four years. What I was referring to is smaller, faster, more agile ships that focus on the pin point accuracy and strategic strikes rather than a 13 Billion dollar floating city.

like cruisers and destroyers?

953 nut
5 minutes ago, slim67 said:

like cruisers and destroyers?

More like this.

Image result for us navy high speed deployment

• Like 3

slim67
Just now, 953 nut said:

More like this.

Image result for us navy high speed deployment

Now thats different

• Like 1

953 nut

Missile launchers and landing craft with amphibious vehicles or a helipad could be accommodated. speeds about three or four times the capability of the rest of the surface fleet.

WHX??

Geez Richard ...you think we would still have to swab the deck on somethin like that?!?!

953 nut
Just now, WHX11 said:

Geez Richard ...you think we would still have to swab the deck on somethin like that?!?!

You can count on it! After all "You're in the Navy now!"

• Like 2

slim67
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Missile launchers and landing craft with amphibious vehicles or a helipad could be accommodated. speeds about three or four times the capability of the rest of the surface fleet.

How big are they in length and displacement?

classicdmax

I live near the uss Massachusetts museum.....and try to get on it from time to time. I am always in awe every time I step foot on that boat 

was never interested in that movie battleship, but will prob check it out now

good topic!

• Like 2

slim67
2 minutes ago, classicdmax said:

I live near the uss Massachusetts museum.....and try to get on it from time to time. I am always in awe every time I step foot on that boat 

was never interested in that movie battleship, but will prob check it out now

good topic!

Glad you like it friend. Thats all i wanted from it.

WHX??
11 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

You're in the Navy now

No thanks Richard I did my time! :lol:

Signed

IC1(SS) retired

slim67
3 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Actually not that large, and they must be highly automated considering the size of the crew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littoral_combat_ship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Independence_(LCS-2)

Looks like its the size of a frigate? pretty cool for sure.

WHX??

Second thought Dick lets take off on that robotic lawnmower thingy and invent a robotic deck swabber  & sell it to the USN!

• Like 1