rwmastel

314-8 No Start

rwmastel

Hi.

I bought a 1999 314-8 this winter.  It has around 650 hours on the meter.  I've driven around the yard a few times this spring with no problems.

Yesterday:  Replaced spark plug, removed front wheel and took it to gas station to fill with air, filled fuel tank.

Today:  Wanted to cut the lawn for the first time today and it wouldn't start!  Just a rapid click, like the starter is not engaging.  I posted a video here:  https://goo.gl/photos/GHdUnmVgYbRfqWnR6  The voltage was above 12 before I cranked it several times and finally took the video.  I checked best I could for frayed or chewed wires. I removed battery to get a better view.  Didn't see anything wrong with wires or connectors, and didn't see any evidence of mice nest.  Do starters just fail one day, or do they slowly show problems then kick the bucket?  What else could it be?  Am I missing something in the starting process?  Transmission is out of gear, left foot has clutch pedal depressed, right foot has brake pedal depressed, turning key.

Thanks!

Edited by rwmastel

ericj

load test the battery, put your meter on the battery and check voltage while cranking, see how far it drops and how fast it comes back. I also have a 99 314-8 that I bought brand new. make sure all of the safety switches are in the made. haven't run mine for months now, but If I remember it has to be in neutral, PTO of and you in the seat, almost forgot the parking brake can't be set or maybe that's just with the deck on. I just remember that every now and then if you push the brake pedal to and the tractor shuts off that's a PIA. good luck

eric j 

rwmastel
15 minutes ago, ericj said:

load test the battery, put your meter on the battery and check voltage while cranking, see how far it drops and how fast it comes back. I also have a 99 314-8 that I bought brand new. make sure all of the safety switches are in the made. haven't run mine for months now, but If I remember it has to be in neutral, PTO of and you in the seat, almost forgot the parking brake can't be set or maybe that's just with the deck on. I just remember that every now and then if you push the brake pedal to and the tractor shuts off that's a PIA. good luck

Thanks Eric,

Did you see the video? Is the built-in voltage meter not reliable?

What do you mean by "make sure all the safety switches are in the made"?

I was in Neutral.  PTO should have been off, but I'll check tomorrow.  I think the parking brake was off, but I'll check tomorrow.  I was in the seat, but I think that is disconnected anyway.  There is a wire that comes out of the seat to a connector that is not connected.  It was that way when I bought it and it was starting/running fine.

ericj

i didn't see the video the first time but now that I watched it, it looks like your battery is down, when you turn the switch on it never goes up to 12 volts only about 10 volts check it with a meter if you have one and then do the load test like i described above

eric j

• Like 1

rwmastel

But, it was reading over 12 for the first 6 or 7 cranks before I decided to take the video.  I was running it down.

If it is a safety switch (PTO, seat, etc...), does the solenoid or starter do anything at all?

Edited by rwmastel

benji756

is the motor turning over or is it just making a clicking sound? if its a clicking sound try jumping across the solenoid connectors.

953 nut

The first thing that needs to be done to correct any electrical problem is to clean and tighten all electrical fittings including grounds. A little corrosion on a few connections can add up to substantial voltage drop. As this battery has been sitting unused it should be charged and load tested, any auto parts store can load test it for you.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

• Like 2

6bg6ga

I'll have to agree. Check all connections first followed by getting the battery load tested. If you happen to have a trickle charger you might try putting it on for 4 or 5 hours and see if there is a difference. Maybe the battery just needs charged.

• Like 2

Jerry77
8 hours ago, ericj said:

it looks like your battery is down

It is trying which eliminates all the safety switches etc...I too, believe the battery is too weak ....:)

43 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

clean and tighten all electrical fittings

First up....then go for the battery.....:)

• Like 2

rwmastel

Thanks for all the replies!

I like to start with the easiest or fastest thing first.

- First, there's just 1 battery and lots of wires/connections, so I think I'll start with the battery and put a charger on it tonight.  A friend at work this morning reminded me that, while my meter was reading over 12v when I began the process, it takes amps to turn over a starter/engine.

- Second, how does one "try jumping across the solenoid connectors"?  I'm more of a mechanical guy than electrical.  I'm not afraid to take anything apart into pieces, but I just don't get the black magic of electrons traveling through copper.  I understand jumping means making a direction connection to bypass possible problem components, but does this require a wire of a specific gauge?  Does the wire need loop ends so it can be tightened down by nuts?  Do I just move an existing wire to a new connection, or do I add a new wire?  Don't ask me to look at the wiring diagram, those just look like spaghetti to me.

- Third, when you guys say to check all electrical connections, there must be a hundred of those and it seems I'd be taking many cover plates or panels off to access things.  Is that normal for this task?  Looks like many hours of work.

Thanks

BOB ELLISON

I myself would check the connections at the battery. Ground cable(BLACK)goes to frame and (RED)cable to solenoid. Remove negative cable from battery then positive and clean posts. Loosen the nut at starter and solenoid and clean that connection. I have a 2000 314 and I think the color of wires are the same.

rwmastel

3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

..... As this battery has been sitting unused.....

I last used the tractor about 3 weeks ago to haul some logs in the wagon, and a few times before that this spring.  Does that count as "sitting unused"?

50 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I myself would check the connections at the battery. Ground cable(BLACK)goes to frame and (RED)cable to solenoid. Remove negative cable from battery then positive and clean posts. Loosen the nut at starter and solenoid and clean that connection. I have a 2000 314 and I think the color of wires are the same.

I forgot to mention that, in an attempt to look for mouse nest or mouse chewed wires, I removed the battery for a better look.  While it was out, I did try to clean up the terminals & cables, but they were pretty good to begin with.  I could try the same for the other ends of the cables.

BOB ELLISON

As others have said you must check battery .

Take it to auto zone after you charge it

The battery might have a weak cell and it dies after a few cranks. I had one that way it charged up good but didn't have enough  power to start the tractor . It turned over 2 times then click,click.

• Like 2

ericj

I just remembered that sometimes when I go to start my 99 314-8 it doesn't always want to kik over, I forget what sounds it makes but it won't crank. I have found that if I slam the PTO lever back [ semi-gently ] it will start, I think it only clicks when it does this, but not sure. My 314 sits in the front of my enclosed trailer and does not make it out of there but a couple of times a year and I contribute it sitting so much as why I have problems starting it. 

eric j

rwmastel

Hi everyone!  Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread.  Last night I put my charger on the battery.  It has a switch to charge at 2, 10, or 50 amps.  I selected 10 and left it on for 90 minutes.  Tractor started right up!  I mowed the back yard and in doing so, I turned it off a couple times to move stuff out of my way.  It started each time with no drama.

So, either the battery is old (no date indicated) and is no longer holding a charge for weeks at a time, or it is being drained by a bad ground or short or something, or it's not being charged during use.  I'm going to assume #1 and get it load tested at a store.

Thanks everyone!  Even though I had a simple problem, I learned more.  I do plan to take all the panels off one day and really clean the machine.

Edited by rwmastel
  • Like 1