EricF

Toro rubber steering wheel peeling - ideas?

EricF

Here's a picture of the rubber-covered rim of my 520H's Toro-style steering wheel. The rubber has worn thin and started to peel/separate from the wheel itself.

axSKdjP.jpg

If you look closely, you can see that the rubber bonds tight and smooth to the plastic wheel underneath -- until it doesn't. Then it appears to pull away clean, leaving smooth solid plastic below.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if, now that the rubber is starting to peel away, if I might as well just help it along? I prefer the older thinner hard plastic wheels anyhow; if that's what's hiding under all that rubber, I might try peeling it all away. Does anybody know if Toro just dipped a conventional plastic wheel in rubber compound, or is the rim and spokes underneath full of ugly holes or surfaces to make the rubber coating stay on? From what I'm seeing so far, it looks like a normal smooth plastic rim buried in there.

If the Toro wheel can't be peeled back to bare plastic, is it possible to replace the wheel with the older thee-spoke wheel found on older 'Horses and earlier 520's? It seems to have the same big roll pin holding it on; I'm just wondering if there's any variation in the shaft diameter that would limit my options if I have to replace it. Not that I'm enthusiastic about pulling the wheel -- I've read quite a few horror stories about that. :unsure:

roadapples

Don`t know what`s under that rubber, but I think all steering shafts are 3/4"...

• Like 2

Jerry77

What about a lace-up steering wheel cover ? Leather or plastic?  That would have to be easier than removing the wheel - and would you be satisfied with the very skinny wheel if you removed the rubber ?  Just some thoughts..:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

That's a new one.  Never seen a wheel separate like that.    That looks like you need a new wheel.    The good news is you don't have to worry about damaging the wheel during removal.

So heat and cut off grinding wheels are acceptable.

• Like 1

WHX??

I did just see some of those types of wheel on that popular auction site, fairly cheap too. otherwise I like Jerry's idea of a cover.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

You could always do the "redneck" fix.             :icecream:

Craft Tape

• Like 3

WHX??

:lol: Make mine camo :lol:

null.jpg

• Like 2

MalMac

Never seen one do that, but yes you can replace it with older style. The older style will not be at the same height though. They are not as deep dished. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I think I know a member that has an old style NOS wheel with no pin hole.   Is it for sale Bob ?

• Like 1

EricF

Thanks for the tip on the difference in depth of the dish measurement -- didn't know that. I was thinking about the lace-up wheel covers, but I've never been fond of them; I prefer the older skinny wheels from days gone by, myself, and don't really want to add even more bulk. They do seem to come up fairly steady on the auctions, if I go the replacement route.

• Like 1