Bert

New muffler

formariz

Indeed. That is a quality product at a good price. I already have two of them.

• Like 2

953 nut

@Bert, haven't heard from you lately, welcome back.

• Like 1

jay bee
11 hours ago, Bert said:

I wanted to share pics of the replacement muffler I recently purchased from Jay Bee. 

This is a nice piece for the money, it fit well and sounds good

Thanks Bert for the :handgestures-thumbupright: on the muffler and pipe.  It really is a quality product and it has a great sound.  The best part is it only costs a little more than a used one, if you can find one. 

1 hour ago, formariz said:

Indeed. That is a quality product at a good price. I already have two of them.

Thanks Caz...You're on the high volume price structure list now!!!  :laughing-rofl:

Jim

• Like 2

6bg6ga

Reading this thread got me wondering if anyone has attempted to make their own muffler and exhaust system from stainless steel. So far in this forum I've seen quite a few pictures that show a lot of skill by those involved.

• Like 1

jay bee

Believe it or not, two of my mufflers I have on hand are made of stainless steel.  I do not have a lot of skill, but I work with a professional custom exhaust manufacturer who gets his mufflers from a professional muffler manufacturer.  We normally get aluminized steel mufflers but one time the muffler supplier was short of aluminized ones and included three stainless steel ones at no upcharge.  They look identical to the aluminized units but are made of stainless steel.  You can stick a magnet to them because I assume the internals are not stainless. 

Jim

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, jay bee said:

Believe it or not, two of my mufflers I have on hand are made of stainless steel.  I do not have a lot of skill, but I work with a professional custom exhaust manufacturer who gets his mufflers from a professional muffler manufacturer.  We normally get aluminized steel mufflers but one time the muffler supplier was short of aluminized ones and included three stainless steel ones at no upcharge.  They look identical to the aluminized units but are made of stainless steel.  You can stick a magnet to them because I assume the internals are not stainless. 

Jim

I work at the only Walker aftermarket factory in the USA and the stainless steel is what they call "mild stainless steel" a magnet will still stick because it doesn't have a high nickel and chromium content like polished "304" varieties, I'm sure there's someone on here more knowledgeable than me on metallurgy, Jeff.

• Like 1

6bg6ga

Stainless comes in a variety of compositions. True stainless isn't magnetic. If I'm not mistaken auto exhaust systems went to stainless years ago. This is why they last longer than 5-6 years. I would assume these alloys are magnetic but I've never tried a magnet on any of them. In the past I had a Z-28 and its exhaust was stainless as are the Envoy and SRX we currently have. Granted given the usage on our tractors the exhaust should still last a long time the idea of stainless for durability makes me ponder if it would be something to consider.

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

Bert Good looking worker. It should serve you well with that new muffler. Enjoy.

• Like 3

jay bee
15 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I work at the only Walker aftermarket factory in the USA and the stainless steel is what they call "mild stainless steel" a magnet will still stick because it doesn't have a high nickel and chromium content like polished "304" varieties, I'm sure there's someone on here more knowledgeable than me on metallurgy, Jeff.

Thank you for explaining that Jeff...I learn something every time I log in to :rs: This place is a wealth of knowledge!!!

Jim

• Like 2

tbarnhart
21 hours ago, 6bg6ga said:

Reading this thread got me wondering if anyone has attempted to make their own muffler and exhaust system from stainless steel. So far in this forum I've seen quite a few pictures that show a lot of skill by those involved.

How about this one.IMG_1404b.thumb.JPG.c4994c5261a12385edb0bd71815bc45a.JPG

I made this one from an old well pump housing, and a handicap shower bar. Its turned blue now from the heat, but I'm guessing it will last for a long time.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
14 hours ago, 6bg6ga said:

Stainless comes in a variety of compositions. True stainless isn't magnetic. If I'm not mistaken auto exhaust systems went to stainless years ago. This is why they last longer than 5-6 years. I would assume these alloys are magnetic but I've never tried a magnet on any of them. In the past I had a Z-28 and its exhaust was stainless as are the Envoy and SRX we currently have. Granted given the usage on our tractors the exhaust should still last a long time the idea of stainless for durability makes me ponder if it would be something to consider.

The reason automotive exhaust systems went to a form of stainless steel was because of the catalytic converters are supposed to turn the bad gases in to water vapor which in turn rusts the cold rolled and aluminized from heat cycles inside out, ever noticed water running out of newer cars tailpipe with a big plume of steam on start up? but on out tractors not so much, anyways aftermarket materials vs O.E. and BTW Tenneco owns Walker and is the major O.E. exhaust supplier for most brands sold in the USA today, Jeff.    Also did anybody notice this "beauty" on the Toro I posted in my walkabout thread?

IMAG3070.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2

tbarnhart

Another reason for the stainless exhaust on modern cars. The government mandated emissions control warranty covers the exhaust system, and they would rather build it with better materials from the beginning, than to replace rusted out systems before the 80-100,000 mile warranty expires.

• Like 2