RJ Hamner

5010 trans assembly help/question

RJ Hamner

Finally got my trans case back from the welder/machine shop and started putting it back together (by the book, no LBR engineering involved) and things were going really well:D

Went to put the side cover on thought I had everything aligned put a couple of the bolts on.  Checked to make sure everything rotated like it should both forward and reverse - worked great:greetings-clappingyellow:

Tightened all the bolts down.....darn thing wouldn't move:wacko:

Took all the bolts back out pulled the side plate up did some alignment wiggles - side plate dropped back on the case with a solid "thump" put all the bolts back in finger tight.  Worked fine:greetings-clappingyellow:

Tightened all the bolts back down....won't move:no:

At this point there was a "blue mist" in the garage and the dogs were hiding in the other end of the house

So my question is:  Is there a special incantation that I should use?  A secret word or phrase?  Am I not holding my tongue right?:bitch:

What the heck am I doing WRONG????

Jake Kuhn

I've had this problem before. Your bolts should be 1/2" long, if not the pinch on 1 of the gears. Also sometimes I have had to add a 3rd gasket to give it a little extra room. 

• Like 1

Texas Todd

When I had a hard time getting a case to fall into place I called @stevasaurus and he must have chanted something because it then fell right on.  He wouldn't tell me the secret though......

I think Jake steered ya right!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

What Jake said is paramount.  In a few places a 3/4" bolt will lock against the large part of the mushroom gear.  It is also possible that if you replaced the axle bronze bearings, they are not honed out enough.  Those axle tubes may not be perfectly straight coming off the plates, and because of that, when you bolt the trans together the axles in those bearings will bind.  It is also very important that all the ball bearings are set flush in their retainers.  Maybe put up a few pictures and maybe we can spot something else.  We are all just guessing here until we know what you replaced...like did you cut the axle carriage bronze bearings to the correct length?

If you have not seen this thread, maybe take a look and see if something jumps out.  :)

• Like 1

RJ Hamner

Steve and Jake

All the bolts are 1/2" (I saw an earlier thread)

I am thinking of going back to "square one" and double/triple check everything I did

And I am going to try the double gasket idea and see what happens.

and I have watched the rebuild thread several times.

I have gone thru all of the items that Steve mentioned and I recall doing them all

Guess I will see what happens today

Thanks

• Like 1

Racinbob

I had that happen to me. Turns out I needed to hone the axle bushings a bit more. The axle tubes weren't exactly parallel to each other. It doesn't take much. :)

• Like 1

RJ Hamner

Well the end result from today is.....It works!

Went back rechecked everything and put a double gasket on one side.

Went thru all the gears and everything does what it supposed to do.

To tell the truth if it hadn't been for the help and advise from you guys I probably would be still scratching my head

Thanks Again:bow-blue:

Bob

• Like 1