beartracks69

beartracks69

beartracks69

I have a 1 3631 500 special that I am restoring.  When I checked the transmission it was nearly full of water.  I flushed it out and added 90 gear oil.  I was testing the engine and belt and the transmission locks up.  The drive pulley will turn backward (clockwise) freely but not forward. (counter clockwise)  When turned by hand it seems to lock on something solid.  It seems to shift into all the gears (1 - 3 rev) just fine.  Has anyone had this?

• Like 1

oldredrider

A differential bolt may have come loose and the nut is binding between the bull gear and case. You're gonna have to open up the tranny. Do NOT drive it...it will break the case and you will be very unhappy. 

• Like 3

stevasaurus

WELCOME TO RED SQUARE  :rs:

You have a regular 3 speed uni-drive transmission #5053...if original.  This is basically your regular 5025 transmission...with a few improvements...like shift rails.  Try doing this and maybe we can kind of determine what it may be.  If it is a differential bolt...it would do the binding in either direction when you came around to it.  Try a few things and let us know.  Put the rear of the horse up on blocks.

1.  with the trans in neutral...turn one of the tires (in any direction).  The other tire should turn in the opposite direction.  Do this on both sides.  Now hold one of the tires from moving, while turning the other tire...both sides.  You should be able to do this...easily.

This tells you that the differential is OK.

2.  Do this in each of the gears.  Put trans in gear...turn the input pulley in a counter-clock-wise direction.  Both wheels and the brake shaft should turn...the wheels in the same direction.

Being this was full of water, I would open it.  What is going on is inside and opening is the only way to find what is really wrong.  This is a great part of the restoration.  It could be a bolt from the differential case, it could also be a piece of gear that broke off and got stuck in part of another gear.  It could also be, depending on how long this had water in it, rust just holding the trans from working.  It could also be part of a bearing that disintegrated and a part of that is the culprit.  This trans is easy to open, and anything bad in there is available.  Take some pictures and let us know. :think:

If you click on this link, it will show you pictures of the inside of your transmission and how to rebuild it.  :)

• Like 6

953 nut

:WRS:   You came to the right place. This manual should be helpful.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

beartracks69
On 4/8/2017 at 7:48 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Well I did the tests that were suggested and the differential proved OK.  When I was doing the second test the transmission unlocked.  When I ran it there was a real bad clunking sound so I proceded to remove it and take it apart.  The clevis hitch was really frozen in place.  I beat on it until I was afraid I might break the case.  I soaked it and applied heat to no avail.  Then my cutter tool proved to show it who was boss.  Long story short.  Its all apart and I am looking for a cluster gear and a reverse idler gear.  This is a 5053 transmission.  I am not having any luck.  Anybody got one or have any tips where I can find them?

stevasaurus

Sure would like to see some pictures of what you found.  Send a PM to @racinfool40, he probably has the parts you need.  PM me if you can't get a hold of Mike.  :)

beartracks69

Here is what I found.  The gears do not show wear as much as just metal eaten away from the water.  These are the only two that show any damage.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll contact him.......B

P1040338.JPG

P1040336.JPG

P1040337.JPG

P1040339.JPG

P1040341.JPG

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Now that's some serious damage.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You may be in luck...those 2 gears are not the usual ones that go bad.  What does your 1st/rev fork gear look like.  :)

• Like 1

beartracks69

Like I said everything else looks good.  Most show no wear at all.  Several needle bearings are gummed up pretty bad.  I drained at least three quarts of yellow water out of it.  No oil to speak of.  It sat out with the gear shift boot in bad shape so the rain had a direct shot.  I think something in the yellow water reacted with those two gears and just ate them up.  Its a new one on me.  I was going to send a pic of the water but guess I get too many on the previous post......Not used to this forum yet.....B

• Like 1

953 nut
4 minutes ago, beartracks69 said:

Several needle bearings are gummed up pretty bad.

A good cleaning and through inspection is going to be called for on all the bearings.

Image result for sherlock holmes cartoon

• Like 1