DennisThornton

Push rake?

DennisThornton

With snow rapidly melting leaving limbs, gravel from the driveway and other debris I find myself trying to push it away with my manual lift solid link snow blade and I have enough sensation and control to actually have some success of pushing the gravel without too much damage to the turf but I'm wishing for a front mount rake to help.  I have a 48" York rake with a clevis hitch that works very well but first I have to drive over what I'd rather push out of the way and I certainly lose some control having to drop the load behind rather than pushing precisely where I'd like to have it so I'd still like a front mount rake, just like the dozer blade actually.  I suppose I could remove the dozer blade and somehow mount the York on the front but the more I think of it I'd also like lighter duty springs, then heavy spikes, then some short forks to perhaps lift and carry some small brush and a 48" push broom!  Last year I tried to finish most snowfalls by making a final pass with a push broom which didn't really remove the snow but rather mix it with sand or at least break up the snow and the Sun took care of the rest.  It worked splendidly actually!  So what I'm thinking about is using a dozer blade frame and creating a way to "Quik-Attach" a broom, spikes/teeth, rake and forks to the front.  Now one could skip the "Quik-Attach" part and just buy 4 more tractors with dozer blades and even though that is a marvelous justification to add 4 more to the herd I'd at least consider multiple attachments for now!

Am I doing a reasonable job of describing what I'd like?  Anybody done anything like that?  Heck, so much of the hard work is already done with the blade frame and I don't think the springs would even be necessary for the other attachments.  Some sort of quick mount on the frame and then a counter part on each attachment should make it all work.

Ideas?  Or heck, it wouldn't surprise me if someone has already done it.  Or seen it?

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Your post gave me an idea.

Have you seen the rubber drum with rubber paddles Stihl add to their weed eaters? They do a fantastic job of moving sand and stones.

Take a single stage snowthrower and cut the flights off the auger assembly. Add 37" angle iron full length around the auger tube and then bolt 37" rubber strips of conveyer belt to the angle iron. The rubber strip width needs to be enough they would extend beyond the bottom of the auger housing. Might be easier to relocate the auger bearings to lower the auger in the housing. Reverse the auger direction of rotation and instant sand and stone slinger on steroids.

Garry

• Like 5

wallfish

I like Garry's idea.

Sounds like you need a rotary broom but I like the challenge of trying to figure something out for the blade frame too.

How about:

Converting one of those pull behind lawn sweepers to work on the front? Have it spin the other direction to work like a rotary broom?

Build some rake teeth to just clamp or bolt on the blade and add some skid shoes?

Clamp or bolt some horizontal teeth to the blade to use for picking up piles of brush?

:twocents-02cents: Just throwing some $#@t against the wall to see what sticks

rake.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

squonk

We have one of those Stihl Yard Bosses with the rubber paddle. Makes quick work of what the DOT leaves you! :)

Sent from a tiny open area in Wallfish's van! 

imgres.jpg.1328ae64027f74b8e7b2cc27abb8471a.jpg imgres.jpg.05069d4793c70b9d56dc2f224afb466c.jpg imgres.jpg.d9e35a2d77fbd71fcedf9a358b9588fa.jpg

• Like 7

jellyghost

The charm of collecting tractors from an extinct company is that you don't have to worry about new fangled innovations.  You guys are making this hobby too hard!

But.. I want one too

WVHillbilly520H

How about a spring tine dethatcher with a hopper like the sweeper in front to catch the "trash" mounted to the blade frame :think: :scratchead:...hhhmmm maybe, Jeff.

squonk
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Beats the heck out of raking

IMG_1630.JPG

Hitting you thumb with a hammer almost beats raking! :)

Sent from a clear spot in Craig's Magic Shed.

• Like 1

Tankman

Not a sweeper but, might work. One of these might be adaptable http://bercomac.com/en/product-category/rotary-brooms/rotary-brooms-for-lg-tractors/

I have a 48" tow dethatcher but, have thought 'bout a front mount tine dethatcher.

Of course my helpers can use steel spring hand rakes. Meet my two helpers.

image.thumb.jpeg.350419800c35dd2a128b081865bac761.jpeg

Leaf_Rake_Front_Mt.jpgCharlie_Linus.jpg.d9972c2535f4da4927446157688fe795.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

DennisThornton
12 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Your post gave me an idea.

Have you seen the rubber drum with rubber paddles Stihl add to their weed eaters? They do a fantastic job of moving sand and stones.

Take a single stage snowthrower and cut the flights off the auger assembly. Add 37" angle iron full length around the auger tube and then bolt 37" rubber strips of conveyer belt to the angle iron. The rubber strip width needs to be enough they would extend beyond the bottom of the auger housing. Might be easier to relocate the auger bearings to lower the auger in the housing. Reverse the auger direction of rotation and instant sand and stone slinger on steroids.

Garry

We're a Stihl dealer so certainly!  Not the answer to my quest but a darned good idea and I think quite doable at a darned good price!

Thanks Garry!

farmer

If you had brush or hedge trimming to sweep up, I don't see why a front rake adapted onto the :wh: blade frame wouldn't work. The thing to do would be to use slightly upward curved tines, so the rake would ride on the curve leaving the points to just clear ground. Stronger but the same sort of tine used to clean out stable shavings. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
14 hours ago, wallfish said:

I like Garry's idea.

Sounds like you need a rotary broom but I like the challenge of trying to figure something out for the blade frame too.

How about:

Converting one of those pull behind lawn sweepers to work on the front? Have it spin the other direction to work like a rotary broom?

Build some rake teeth to just clamp or bolt on the blade and add some skid shoes?

Clamp or bolt some horizontal teeth to the blade to use for picking up piles of brush?

:twocents-02cents: Just throwing some $#@t against the wall to see what sticks

rake.jpg

I'm thinking something like that, but perhaps springs for hay rakes that are much lighter duty than my York rake.  Then just 2 to 4 longer spikes to try to lift the brush.

13 hours ago, pfrederi said:

This is what you need...  Just got done 2 days ago doing the driveway.  The ditch by the dirt road is still too soggy to get that done. Beats the heck out of raking

Indeed!  And I've admired your rotary brush before and I believe we've chatted about it.  I still want one but this is a somewhat different project and it may help others utilize stuff hanging around.

12 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

How about a spring tine dethatcher with a hopper like the sweeper in front to catch the "trash" mounted to the blade frame :think: :scratchead:...hhhmmm maybe, Jeff.

I have such and last year really wanted to try that idea out.  I still think it has merit but now I'm thinking, or bouncing back and forth, about a multi-tool attachment with forks/spikes, broom and rake.

• Like 1

Lee1977

Here is my ideal: Have figured out how yet, but maybe mount the rake on the front hitch. Use your lift attached to a set of dolly wheels behind the rake with a snow blower flag. I think this would give better control then trying to lift the rake. Mount the wheel so the operate on an arch with a stop at ground level of the rake. As you pull the lift the wheel would go forward lifting rake.  You  could push the trash or limbs then lift the rake and back away from them.

• Like 1

c-series don

I agree with Pfrederi the Sweepster model C-48 rotary broom is an awesome tool. Although I had to wait for many years to find a good one and I don't use it a lot, when I do I love it. Great for getting those rocks out of the grass, cleaning up after a light snow, and de-thatching my lawn. PLUS as a collector it's just kinda cool to have!!! People come over and they are like"what the heck,a broom?"And I'm like  "yah try that with your Home Depot mower"!! 

• Like 4

Tankman

This "rake" subject has me thinking (?).

I have a Crapsman front mounted tine dethatcher. Given to me, never used. No need for it.

Also not being used, a 48" WH plow, complete.

Here we go, thinkin' again.

Using the Horse dozer frame including the angle selector, I could bolt the Crapsman tine dethatcher to the frame.

I could then (1) set the height, (2) raise the dethatcher out of the way (transport) and, (3) angle the tine thingy as required.

Kicking the stone back on my drives, hopefully.

Forward huh, right kick stone, left kick stone, left right left right, stone to the left of me, stone to the right, there they go.

I know a Deere lives on the hill, she won't do it but my Stallion will.  :ROTF:

• Like 3

wallfish

This was modified to work on a tractor from a $250 walk behind broom. Much easier to find and won't break the bank.

• Like 3

DennisThornton
On 4/9/2017 at 9:19 AM, c-series don said:

I agree with Pfrederi the Sweepster model C-48 rotary broom is an awesome tool. Although I had to wait for many years to find a good one and I don't use it a lot, when I do I love it. Great for getting those rocks out of the grass, cleaning up after a light snow, and de-thatching my lawn. PLUS as a collector it's just kinda cool to have!!! People come over and they are like"what the heck,a broom?"And I'm like  "yah try that with your Home Depot mower"!! 

I've wanted one since I've seen the first but I have a rotary brush for my BCS is I should get that going first.  Then...

Edited by DennisThornton

can whlvr

I have the stihl paddle,works amazing,but at work I have about 2 miles of road with stone dust screenings,so I mounted the paddle to one of our zero turns with a quick connect hinge,and a bungee cord to hold the throttle open,it works amazing and is kind of fun to operate,and you can turn the paddle to push or pull the debris,if it were 2 times wider it would be better

• Like 1

DennisThornton
7 hours ago, Tankman said:

This "rake" subject has me thinking (?).

I have a Crapsman front mounted tine dethatcher. Given to me, never used. No need for it.

Also not being used, a 48" WH plow, complete.

Here we go, thinkin' again.

Using the Horse dozer frame including the angle selector, I could bolt the Crapsman tine dethatcher to the frame.

I could then (1) set the height, (2) raise the dethatcher out of the way (transport) and, (3) angle the tine thingy as required.

Kicking the stone back on my drives, hopefully.

Forward huh, right kick stone, left kick stone, left right left right, stone to the left of me, stone to the right, there they go.

I know a Deere lives on the hill, she won't do it but my Stallion will.  :ROTF:

Yes!  That's the idea.  Why reinvent the wheel when WH has done so much already?  Now that I've said that I'm not sure how much I'd benefit from the angle feature for anything but the brushes but I might be surprised.  Right now my needs seem to be just being able to push straight forward, backup and hit another area.

DennisThornton

The Tine Rake Dethatcher by JRCO mounts to the front of your garden tractor. Mower not included.

• Like 3

DennisThornton

Transform your commercial mower into a leaf moving machine.LeafplowWEB.jpg

Figure 1. The rake installs to the front of a vehicle using a snowplow attachment.

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Like 4

NA73

hmm. never seen a 'leaf plow' before... kinda neat.

DennisThornton

First time I've seen a leaf plow as well.  I think that would work great on a manual lift WH.  Maybe some wheels too. 

Tankman

Mounted the tine dethatcher to my '90 520-8, front mount. Dethatch and pull my Little Wonder blower at the same time. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Now all I need to do is fab a lift, easy enough.

I have a 4 ft pull tine dethatcher, this smaller one was given to me a few years ago. I guess just playing in the barn, need to mow but heavy on 'n off rain. Yuk.

WHA (Wheel Horse Addiction) getting to me, the Horses and I want to graze on fresh green grass.

image.thumb.jpeg.350419800c35dd2a128b081865bac761.jpeg

De-thatcher.JPG

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

dlaw90

Some rakes have a pin or bolt that allows you to rotate the rake head. This would let you push while in reverse. 

• Like 1