Duramax7man7

Brought more home tonight!

bo dawg

Nice find!

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

@Mastiffman I saw them when they were just posted on cl but I said to myself I just can't now. I just picked up a 314-8 a few weeks ago  and I don't want anymore work now.  I'm glad a member of Redsqure got them. Good luck.

• Like 4

ericj

the 520's I drag home most of the time look like that. when the price is right you can't go wrong. if nothing else you just brought home a lot of parts to save other tractors. if you where close I would be interested in that 520 dead or alive god luck

eric j

• Like 1

Tankman

Great Horses and now your spring and summer relax time hits rock bottom, zilch.

Guess the Stallions'll love you for many years. Great! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Mastiffman   Nice find. That will keep you busy  for a while. Enjoy the project. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I've got a dozen or so GTs and one hubcap!  1 hubcap!  You make one trip and come home with 8!

• Like 3

Gracie's Dad

I asked him if he would split them, I don't have room for two more...but no luck. Glad to see someone is gonna give them another chance.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Yeah I couldn't pass them up. I got my last with decks. Sold one Deck yesterday and when all was said and done with that sale and then purchasing these two I paid $125 for them both and the decks. Paid $60 to rent the trailer and $25 in fuel...

Yeah I learned my lesson last time about asking about them online. ha ha. I wasn't letting these get by me. I'm pretty excited to tear into them and see if they run. The 520 is missing the whole seat assembly. The sheet metal looks pretty good on both. They both have solid headlight bezels but the hoods are roughed up. Nothing a little bumping out of the dents won't cure though. I will have to rivet the front of the hood back to the top of the hood on the 314h though. The 520h is a confirmed 520h-s (Swept front axle).

I haven't checked the frame for damage done by a 5ft deck but all in due time. The 520h tank for sure smell like someone poured turpentine in it!? So there is work to be done. But it should be fun!

I couldn't believe that they both had hubcaps. They are not is great shape though. a little better than the ones that came on my 1990 520 which I only had three of.

Edited by Mastiffman
  • Like 2

Duramax7man7

Okay, so took some time this weekend and got both of these tractors running. Albeit, not exactly how I wanted to but they now I now they run....

1994 314h

1991 520h:

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

The one thing I have learned from a sitting tractor is pull the tins. The chances are there's a mouse nest in there. My 74 c160 that was sitting outside had 1 and my 2000 314 had 1 and it was in a storage locker.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Oh yeah, I'll all that. A storage tip that snowmobile enthusiasts use is to put dryer sheets in any spaces that could house mice and steel wool in any openings where mice could get in and build a nest that couldn't be reached.

Before Starting I:

1. Checked for power. Got nothing with a fully charged, good battery. Pulled the ignition switch, cleaned all the connectors and then fixed a couple of the power connector in the main Molex.
2. Cleaned the carb (Pretty Clean)

3. Cleaned the air box which had a mouse nest in it. Cleaned all that out well and used my working 520h filter and screwed the lid down to not allow anything in.

4. Checked for spark (Good! and plugs were in good condition)

5. Wires looks aftermarket so left those on for the time being. Will Check for proper resistance later.

6. Checked the oil which only had about 3/16" wet on the bottom of the dipstick and added some 5w/30 to run it.

7. Checked the Hydraulic fluid and it was all topped off and looked good.

8. Had to use a jumper on the starter to get it to turn over at this point.

99% of what blew out of the top of the front shroud was debris from mowing and an acorn shell or two. A couple of pieces of cotton as well. Most of the cotton and nest like materials were in the air box. There was also plenty of air flowing out of the both sides of the engine, over the cylinder heads. Which was a good sight!

I did have movement both forward and backward though. So that was good to see as well. The 520h has the proverbial "wiring issues" so that was the first thing that I looked at. I will be going through all of the grounds and redoing the Molex with bullet style connectors and heat shrink.

I will be tearing this down and de carbonizing the engine and checking for compression and setting valve lash and cleaning up the unit before running again. Seemed like a small misfire while at idle. I didn't check the air mixture screw on the side of the carb for 1-1/4 turn out. Could be an issue as the plastic turn limiting cap wasn't on this one either. I'm going to be using old front tires that I will be cleaning and then spraying some peel off spray paint on in the inside of the tires to see if I can get this rubbery peel off paint to seal the inside of the tires. My theory is that if this stuff stretches as it's peeled off, then it should stay pliable enough as the tires stretch to keep an inner seal on the tires. Will report back on that. Not sure if it will work. Will most likely order new Tires for the rear of the 520h if not the 314 as well.

Edited by Mastiffman
  • Like 3

BOB ELLISON

Well Mastiffman it sounds to me you've got everything under control and that's what I do when I get a new old tractor.

But some guys don't understand what they got and what needs to be done to these machines to keep them running.

I'm glad they both run I wanted to get them but I'm about done working on old machines that need a lot of work. I see you really want to fix and repair them just like I do. It's a lot of time and money to bring them back from the grave. But I love to get a great machine back to doing what it's meant to do.

I still think the Wheel Horse is the best tractor ever built and no other brand has parts that fit so many different years and models B,C and 300-500,

What Cecil Pond did for wheelhorse owners is unheard-of today.

• Like 4

ericj

good job getting them both running. It could be just the video sound, but to me it almost sounded like the 520 was only running on one cylinder. those onans will run on one cylinder and a lot of people don't even notice. I would do the compression check sooner rather then later. A tip I've learned doing compression check is to make sure the throttle butterfly is wide open, if not it can make a 15 to 20 psi difference

eric j 

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse

Nice score!  Lots of work there but also lots of potential.  I'm sure you'll keep us posted on the progress! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Duramax7man7
16 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Well Mastiffman it sounds to me you've got everything under control and that's what I do when I get a new old tractor.

But some guys don't understand what they got and what needs to be done to these machines to keep them running.

I'm glad they both run I wanted to get them but I'm about done working on old machines that need a lot of work. I see you really want to fix and repair them just like I do. It's a lot of time and money to bring them back from the grave. But I love to get a great machine back to doing what it's meant to do.

I still think the Wheel Horse is the best tractor ever built and no other brand has parts that fit so many different years and models B,C and 300-500,

What Cecil Pond did for wheelhorse owners is unheard-of today.

Well for now I may... ha ha. This one is a bit newer in it's wiring design so that might prove to be a learning experience. But yes I do like working on them. It keeps me busy and learning and that's always good for the mind! And hands as idle hands are satan's workshop! I enjoy the task of problem solving and seeing progress so this is right up my alley. My Dad has been a Mechanic for many years so this is kind of second nature for me and something that I really enjoy.

13 hours ago, ericj said:

good job getting them both running. It could be just the video sound, but to me it almost sounded like the 520 was only running on one cylinder. those onans will run on one cylinder and a lot of people don't even notice. I would do the compression check sooner rather then later. A tip I've learned doing compression check is to make sure the throttle butterfly is wide open, if not it can make a 15 to 20 psi difference

eric j 

Thanks Eric! I will definitely check into that. I did hear a miss in the engine through the range of Rpms. I did notice when I pulled both plugs to clean them up that the rear plug looked good and the front cylinder plug looked fouled. So that will definitely get looked into. I appreciate you mentioning it though!

I have to pick up a compression tester for this round of repairs.

11 hours ago, aHorseofCourse said:

Nice score!  Lots of work there but also lots of potential.  I'm sure you'll keep us posted on the progress! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks. This will definitely keep my busy and you know I will be posting photos for the gang! ha ha- You guys love them so it's the least I can do for all of the help that the members have provided.

• Like 3

Duramax7man7

Trying to get the key to start the 520h. I removed the old Molex and replaced it with heat shrink bullet style connectors last night and still nothing.

I swapped out Ignition switches and cleaned up that switch plug, checked all of the kill switches and even cleaned up the starter switch and power wires. Nothing. The Machine has a good ground so far. So maybe a relay is bad? This is tiny bit different wiring than the 1990 520h that I have. Still looking into it.

No More Molex. Will be numbering these for order before removing the engine for the de-carbon process.

20170411_084910.jpg

Edited by Mastiffman
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Check a couple of the safety switches IE the neutral under the steering wheel PTO and seat, the "Good Friday" 520 I picked up last year would start without a jumper either till I finally tracked it down to the neutral switch which BTW was technically working just missing the actuator arm, Jeff. 1st pic missing arm 2cd new switch.

IMAG2067.jpg

IMAG2141.jpg

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

Well I'm trying to go through the relays at this point as all of the indication lights come on when the switch is turned on and then all go out and only the normal oil light blinking because engine isn't started. 

UPDATE (while writing this and going back and forth):

Okay,

So I figured out... it was just as I suspected... Being that the switch relay was first after the ignition to get power and I could jump the starter and the tractor would run.

Testing method:
1. I tested the Tan wire coming from the start switch that gets energized when in start position. It had 12.4v

2. There are two wires needed to activate the switch relay. A. Dark Gr from the seat switch and Tan from the ignition switch test both, both had 12.4v That tells me that the last switch (seat) in the loop is fine plus it only cuts power when PTO is broken while mowing and you get off the seat, and no ID Lights were on.

3. Test the Dark BL coming out of the Switch relay that energizes the Starter relay and it was only getting about .625v so that was bad.

4. Reconfirmed that the switch relay was bad and place a jump wire from the Tan wire (power in) to the Dark BL (power out to starter relay) and she fired up!

Problem solved! Just have to get a new Switch relay. The total voltage drop from battery post to all three relays was about 0.10v -  0.13v (12.54v at battery to 12.41v) at the relays... Not to bad for sitting outside like it has.

QUESTION: Are all three relays the same? can I just get one online as the 41-20OE02 parts diagram on Partstree is only showing one relay.

Edited by Mastiffman
  • Like 1

Duramax7man7

Looks like AR272 is the replacement number for these relays for anyone looking to replace them. They can be purchased at most auto parts stores and I believe they called them "multi-function relays"... $12

WVHillbilly520H

Those relays are pretty much generic, take an old with you to a parts store (NAPA) and they should hook you up cheaper than Toro, that's what I do, Jeff.

• Like 3

Duramax7man7
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Those relays are pretty much generic, take an old with you to a parts store (NAPA) and they should hook you up cheaper than Toro, that's what I do, Jeff.

Roger that!

DONE!!!

3 for $12 and they come with a metal mounting bracket and a plug shroud! They are used on one of the most successful mowers that I've heard of. Dixie Choppers! All day long!

20170411_174529.jpg

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
10 minutes ago, Mastiffman said:

Roger that!

DONE!!!

3 for $12 and they come with a metal mounting bracket and a plug shroud! They are used on one of the most successful mowers that I've heard of. Dixie Choppers! All day long!

20170411_174529.jpg

I think last year when I was going through my low hour 520 I got a 5 pack with wiring harness for $20+/- off :techie-ebay: Jeff

149195155760698426092.jpg

• Like 2