Team70R

3 speed unidrive no 3rd gear

Team70R

Scored a 606 for free. Got it going tonight and there is no 3rd gear. If you force it and let off the clutch it just grinds. Any suggestions??:wacko:

953 nut

:text-imsorry:            Presuming it is operating properly in other gears I'm afraid you will have to pull it apart.

Take a look at this;

• Like 2

Team70R
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-imsorry:            Presuming it is operating properly in other gears I'm afraid you will have to pull it apart.

Other gears are fine! How much damage will it cause if I just drive it with the other gears?

953 nut

Sort of a crapshoot, there could be pieces of the damaged gear lurking in places that will damage other gears or bearings.

do you feel lucky?  

Image result for crapshoot

Probably need one of these.

https://www.wheelhorseman1000.com/product-p/2.htm

• Like 4

Team70R

Yikes!!:o It's just an old rust bucket so I guess I'll drive her til she gets tired! 

• Like 1

oldredrider

Seems a shame to "drive her til she gets tired" when replacing one gear is not difficult. Probably only needs the one gear, a new gasket,  some gear oil and no special tools.

I'm a rookie with transmissions, but just finished repairing a 5025.with the same problem and it was a piece of cake. Just sayin'...

• Like 5

Team70R
26 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Seems a shame to "drive her til she gets tired" when replacing one gear is not difficult. Probably only needs the one gear, a new gasket,  some gear oil and no special tools.

I'm a rookie with transmissions, but just finished repairing a 5025.with the same problem and it was a piece of cake. Just sayin'...

I just saw the $85 price tag for the gear and the tractor Isn't worth spending that much on it. Where did you get your new gear? 

oldredrider

Friend of mine found it through a Facebook connection...maybe Wheel Horse Junkies?

• Like 1

daveoman1966
1 hour ago, Team70R said:

I just saw the $85 price tag for the gear and the tractor Isn't worth spending that much on it. Where did you get your new gear? 

What gear is that for $85.  Chances are, I ahve it layin' around in my shop.... lots of gears, but I have to know the part # and a pic of the broken gear(s) would help.

post pics here or to my email address, which is:

daveoman@windstream.net

• Like 1

Team70R
7 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

What gear is that for $85.  Chances are, I ahve it layin' around in my shop.... lots of gears, but I have to know the part # and a pic of the broken gear(s) would help.

post pics here or to my email address, which is:

daveoman@windstream.net

This should be the one!

IMG_2181.PNG

• Like 3

bunson70

I am in the process of rebuilding my unidrive three speed transmission. If all you need is the gear, that would be cheap. I need to replace the roller bearings, second/high gear and the seals. It's not going to be cheap. But, in my opinion, it'll be worth it.

• Like 1

Team70R
27 minutes ago, bunson70 said:

I am in the process of rebuilding my unidrive three speed transmission. If all you need is the gear, that would be cheap. I need to replace the roller bearings, second/high gear and the seals. It's not going to be cheap. But, in my opinion, it'll be worth it.

I have a feeling this one is in pretty bad shape internally. I will probably just run it til something else breaks and keep it for a parts tractor

• Like 1

jgun45879

Not sure how far you are from NW Ohio, but I have a 3-speed trans out of a 1968 WH Commando 8 if I remember right. I have no need of it. Id take 50.00 if youre interested.    

• Like 1