HamptonT

Wheel Weight Color

HamptonT

I need some advice/opinions. I have a 314-8 that came with a set of rear wheel weights. The rear wheel weights were an off white color that looked original. So.....I wire brushed them and repainted them off white.

I now have a set of matching front wheel weights. They are red. Not sure if red is/was the original color.

Do i wire brush and paint to match the rear or leave them red?

Thanks

IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

• Like 3

farmer

If they were mine I'd go red all round, here's a pic of mine. :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_1132.thumb.JPG.2e046293284d7621d4f1406e0bb7c14e.JPG

• Like 3

evanloock

White was the color used in the 60's up through the mid-70's.  They switched to red thereafter for the cast wheel weights. The 1976 brochure shows them in red, while the 1975 accessories brochure shows them in white.

Edited by evanloock
  • Like 3

Thegearhead0324

I have a completely different set up, but I like bright red to pop out with the bright white wheels. I'm a "poppy" kinda guy.

20170206_112101.jpg

• Like 6

953 nut

The choice of color should be whatever you find the most pleasing. If they were mine I would have them match the rims, but that is just my opinion.

• Like 3

HamptonT
30 minutes ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

I have a completely different set up, but I like bright red to pop out with the bright white wheels. I'm a "poppy" kinda guy.

20170206_112101.jpg

I like those inside wheel weights. Are they as hard to find as the front wheel weights?

Thegearhead0324

The ones I got are made for a cub and were yellow. I wanted inside ones because of hubcaps on the outside. Those actually fit over the center hub perfectly which is why I chose them.

• Like 2

Lee1977

I lIke RED.

SAM_0482.jpgd.

rjg854

My wheel weights are the same color as the rims. They20161204_125529.thumb.jpg.d25909e053fc96a7e3ccc72ac3cb021a.jpg are on the Commando w/the grader blade.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

IMG_3140.thumb.JPG.283077e9a579806cd7281720416bb42d.JPG

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

Cub Cadet weights painted Duplicolor silver to "match" the wheels the weigh about 30# each the :wh: you have are heavier then there's Massey Ferguson split weights that are about 45# and the wheel covers will over them I did both just today, Jeff.

IMAG3089.jpg

IMAG3091.jpg

• Like 2

Thegearhead0324

I actually never knew weights were out there to fit inside a wheel like that, now I'll be on a search. Ol lady's gonna hate me now..... more money 

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
36 minutes ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

I actually never knew weights were out there to fit inside a wheel like that, now I'll be on a search. Ol lady's gonna hate me now..... more money 

I was lucky enough to stumble upon them cheap, checking :techie-ebay:they are asking around $250/set, Jeff.

Thegearhead0324

I noticed.... ouch.. gonna have to wait a while lol

cschannuth
9 hours ago, HamptonT said:

I need some advice/opinions. I have a 314-8 that came with a set of rear wheel weights. The rear wheel weights were an off white color that looked original. So.....I wire brushed them and repainted them off white.

I now have a set of matching front wheel weights. They are red. Not sure if red is/was the original color.

Do i wire brush and paint to match the rear or leave them red?

Thanks

IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

I believe these shown below are the same weights in red.  I like them in red but kind of miss seeing the deep dish white wheels. 

image.thumb.jpeg.47bf36d5f4fe9bd65bfb51b752101ed6.jpeg

• Like 4

570 Productions

I painted mine black but I only use them in the winter, because my 1962 502 the rear bearings are bad because they were left on all year.

Adams94

I painted mine Regal red and I like them, I have a set of rears that aren't for show just snow plowing, they are black but they are not oem.  If I find correct rear ones they will be regal red to!

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

• Like 3

bmsgaffer
On 4/7/2017 at 11:06 PM, 1Steinway said:

I painted mine black but I only use them in the winter, because my 1962 502 the rear bearings are bad because they were left on all year.

The bearings in the transmission are rated to many thousands of pounds. If they went bad on you, it wasn't because of 100lbs of wheel weight, they were probably already getting ready to go. :handgestures-thumbupright:

All that to say, replace the bearings and dont feel bad about running weights year round, these tractors can handle it. 

• Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Wheel weights don't put a lot of stress on the bearing since no weight is being added to the tractor, just the tire & rim. Color doesn't matter as long as it's not green or yellow....then we might have to put our foot down! :ychain: 

• Like 1

570 Productions
11 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

The bearings in the transmission are rated to many thousands of pounds. If they went bad on you, it wasn't because of 100lbs of wheel weight, they were probably already getting ready to go. :handgestures-thumbupright:

All that to say, replace the bearings and dont feel bad about running weights year round, these tractors can handle it. 

I know, but I drive the WheelHorse to my mowing jobs and I noticed and clunk from the wheel weights moving around. In hi 3rd gear. I now use them on my 67 867.

HamptonT
On 4/7/2017 at 2:18 PM, Thegearhead0324 said:

20170206_112101.jpg

I like those inside wheel weights. Are they as hard to find as the front wheel weights?

I went with white....

IMG_1862.JPG

WVHillbilly520H

How about silver or blue? The silver ones(same as the gearheads' red inside weights) are Farmal Cub/CubCadet and the blue ones are Massey Ferguson then you tuck 'em under a set of custom caps, Jeff.

IMAG3088.jpg

IMAG3089.jpg

IMAG3094.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

cschannuth
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:37 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

How about silver or blue? The silver ones(same as the gearheads' red inside weights) are Farmal Cub/CubCadet and the blue ones are Massey Ferguson then you tuck 'em under a set of custom caps, Jeff.

IMAG3088.jpg

IMAG3089.jpg

IMAG3094.jpg

I wonder if my 7" wheels would be deep enough to accept the massey weights and still allow the hubcaps to fit like they do on your 8.5" wheels? 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

@cschannuth Craig, later today or tomorrow, I'll pull a cap and check/measure how much clearance I have then minus your 1.5" and let you know exactly, but from putting them on and pics I'm fairly certain they should, Jeff.

• Like 1

cschannuth
4 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@cschannuth Craig, later today or tomorrow, I'll pull a cap and check/measure how much clearance I have then minus your 1.5" and let you know exactly, but from putting them on and pics I'm fairly certain they should, Jeff.

Thanks