EricF

Hello from New Hampshire, by way of South Bend!

EricF

Hi everyone, I've been an occasional visitor to Red Square over the years as I've researched Wheel Horses -- I've wanted a good "keeper" tractor for a long time, and Wheel Horse quickly rose to the top of my short list. For just shy of ten years, really -- the search has been a background project to learn as much as I could and be ready when the time and money finally came together. Finally got a chance to pull the trigger on a nice Horse and complement of attachments all in one fell swoop! I'll start a thread in the main discussion area and post pictures there.

I grew up in Niles, Michigan -- just across the state line from South Bend. Wheel Horses were a common sight everywhere, and I used to pass by Chandler's Equipment all the time on the way between the towns. South Bend & neighboring Mishawaka were pretty much the center for everything in the area; still are, really. I went to school in South Bend most of the time, so it really was a surrogate hometown for me. So I guess I've always had a bit of a connection... :lol:

Ironic bit is that I grew up with the experience of running a "real" garden tractor -- but it was green:-o  When my family had a new house built in 1970, my father bought a brand-new John Deere 112 with an 8-horse Kohler and the 4-speed transaxle for mowing and running a single-stage snowthrower. It was certainly a fine machine, and from what I've seen in learning about Wheel Horse through the years, it probably seemed just a little more "modern" in 1970. The Variator drive was darn nice to run with, that's for sure. In a couple more years, Wheel Horse's ongoing improvements to the line probably would have eclipsed the 110 for overall power and bulletproof operation, but with a brand-new house to outfit, my father wanted the most advanced thing he could find right then and there. Another interesting bit -- the JD was purchased from Clay's Service in South Bend, which was just across the intersection from Chandler's and the original Wheel Horse factory location.

I also had plenty of exposure to Wheel Horses while I was going to school -- there were two in use for groundskeeping -- a C-160, I believe, and a slightly older one, possibly a Bronco? Those tractors were always out doing work, and often parked near where us kids sat outside for lunch breaks in good weather. So, I guess I've always been a Horse fan, it's just taken a bit over half century to get my hands on one! :D

• Like 7

rmaynard

:WRS: Glad to have you aboard. 

T-Mo

:WRS:

Achto

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

WHX??
1 hour ago, EricF said:

it's just taken a bit over half century to get my hands on one!

Oh come now you haven't been trying! :ychain:

Quite a few members here from your hometown , maybe you'll run into someone you might know!

BTW They do  have a tendency to multiply & we do like our pictures here!

20160814_131011.jpg

20160814_130936-1.jpg

• Like 3

Adams94

JC 1965

953 nut
2 hours ago, EricF said:

it's just taken a bit over half century to get my hands on one!

:WRS:            I can identify with that, my dad looked at an RJ in '58 but didn't get it;  fast forward nearly a half century and I picked up a couple of them. 

32 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

They do  have a tendency to multiply

That being said, I now have a dozen stallions in my herd, mostly 953s but that is just personal preference.

• Like 1

roadapples

@WHX11    Jim, should have taken that picture at night with the Christmas lights on...:ROTF::ychain:

• Like 3

Sparky

Welcome!

Mike...

EricF

Thanks for the warm welcome, all! :thanks:

I have to confess that the two models I had focused were the 520H (which there didn't seem to be a lot of for sale when I started searching in '08 or so) and the C-160. I've seen a fair number of C-series Horses worth tearing down and restoring, but I had to find a working tractor that I could spruce up as I went -- that was a bit harder to come by since the prices for those were inevitably higher. Until recently, ready-to-go 520s were pricey out here.

Maybe in a couple of years I can add another Horse, but I need some stable space first! Luckily, I'm taking down an old above-ground pool this summer, so that will clear all the pool paraphernalia out of the existing shed. And give me some more space in the yard to build a bigger one... which could possibly contain a C-series someday... Hmmm...

• Like 4

WHX??

Lol Jay @roadapples...but honey I'm gettin too old to be gettin on roofs and ladders every year. ...ok leave them up year round....but honey the weather is gonna knock them down and wreck them.....no it won't.... yes it will...and then you will buy new ones and I won't have money for that new to me C-1....hold it right there buster now help me with these RW&B I just got for the 4th....:crying-yellow:

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:techie-eureka: You could always turn 'em on...take another pict.   :-o

• Like 2

WHX??

Too late they're already down..... I fall off the roof next Christmas you clowns gonna have to come pick my herd! :unsure:

• Like 1

jay bee

:text-welcomeconfetti:  to:rs:Eric. 

Jim