Ed Kennell

Truck Drivers Beware

6 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted (edited)

Edited by Ed Kennell
1 person likes this

ID: 2   Posted

This runaway truck  demolished this church located three houses below the home where I was born.  The town sits at the bottom of Savage Mountain in Southern Somerset Co. Pa. and is subject to many runaway trucks.

My Grandad lived two houses above the church and his garage was demolished in the early '60s. The Sturtz family lived beside the church in a two story home.  A runaway milk tanker went completely through their home and was stopped by this same church.    MR and MRS Sturtz were sleeping on the second floor at the time and they were not injured.  They replaced their home with a one story modular home  and within a year, shortly after they left to go shopping, this home was demolished by another runaway loaded with shelled corn.  They never built a home on this site again.  

It is difficult to believe , but the reports are this driver only suffered a broken thumb.    No one was in the church.

2 people like this

ID: 3   Posted

Amazing that there were no serious injuries, certainly feel sorry for the congregation of the Church. We have a few "break failure" truck collisions each month in the mountains here. The breaks worked fine, they were just used too late and gravity wins every time!

1 person likes this

ID: 4   Posted

Ed, would you believe that Cumberland MD used to be some of stomping grounds, used to go to Lakemont Park by way of there, got an uncle in Oakland/Deer Park and my mother was originally from Keyser WV,  so I have been through there at least once if not more on my journeys north, Jeff.

1 person likes this

ID: 5   Posted

Tis a small world Jeff.   My Mother still  lives in Cumberland today.  After high school, I started my college studies at the WVU local campus in Keyser WVa.   While still living in Wellersburg, Pa, at the time, I commuted thru Cumberland, Md. to Keyser, WVa. every day ....about 20 mile.

When I was about 10 years old, we  built a new stone home about half way up the mountain  above  Wellersburg  where I experienced many runaway truck accidents. Our house was right at the drivers decision point ....ditch the truck or try to ride it out to the bottom.    The experienced ones bailed out and ditched the truck into the woods.

One of the more memorable ones involved a Heinz Food truck from Pittsburg.    My dad was a scavenger and we had a pantry full of all 57 varieties of mustard, ketchup, and pickle relish that lasted for years.  :popcorn:

4 people like this

ID: 6   Posted (edited)

Years ago a truck driver fell asleep and went off the road and went thru an Amish house. In one side and out the other. Left a big hole but the walls and roof stayed up. About 10 years after that an Amish fellow came into the Napa store I was working at. He paid with a check and I read the check. The address was about the same location of that house. I asked him about it and he says, " That was my house. I was sleeping on my couch and awoke to a tractor trailer going thru my living room! " :)

Edited by squonk
3 people like this