Thegearhead0324

My sickle bar redoing

KC9KAS

That is sharp...sorry for the pun!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thegearhead0324

Thank you, this was probably my favorite project so far with the horse. It was worth the drive, money, and time. I love it 

• Like 3

farmer

Ooo I like that, one of those attachments that just look right on a :wh: and you've done a spot on restoration on it. 

I can almost smell that fresh cut grass falling in the hay meadow.

Tell me did it have a swath board originally or not?

• Like 2

Thegearhead0324

No swath board, although not a bad thought. That how I felt about these attachments when I first became a member on here and looked through all the attachments out there, just had to have it they look sharp in general. I kinda wish I kept the original patina of it... but wanted it to match the tractor.

• Like 2

wheelhorseman
11 hours ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

No swath board, although not a bad thought. 

First off nice job on the sickle mower-- it looks nice! Ironically @Lane Ranger and I have been talking about this very thing lately.  Wheel horse does not show any swath board or rod in the parts breakdown however in the picture right above the parts breakdown in the manual there is a picture of the sickle mower with a swath (rod) attached..... very odd.  So I went ahead and made one for mine although I think I will make another one a little longer. Here are the pictures of the manual and of my swath rod that I made.

IMG_4489.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

Edited by wheelhorseman1000
  • Like 2

Lane Ranger

Thegearhead0324 :  What model tractor do you have your sickle mower mounted on?   And is that a 42 inch sickle?

Also  Lowell is being shy -but ask him about his  recent sickle parts production !  

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2

Thegearhead0324

Mine is model number 7 1312 7, 50 inch bar, mounted on my 1257. It fit my horse like a glove luckily for me. I was looking at swath boards online, but only saw the rod like you have and mentioned. Looking at the picture above kinda wish I kept it the original patina lol. 

And it's great about the sick parts production we all need them! 

Edited by Thegearhead0324
  • Like 3

Thegearhead0324

Actually.. kinda got me thinking about making my own swath board... hmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 3

Thegearhead0324

Forgot to take a pic of it down.

20170407_140956.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Thegearhead0324

Random I know, but reviving my old thread i started years ago. I eventually did make my own swath board. I also rebuilt the wobble box again few years back with new seals bearings and jam nut. 

B4A8E9EA-A166-4DCA-9A01-1C23F9E9E6BF.jpeg.493f84e0f9aaf4ceffbeccd37a42235c.jpeg

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Thegearhead0324

Hopefully the pics I found of it all laid out helps someone when trying to rebuild theirs. Everyone on this forum has helped me all the years I've been a supporter here. Without this "supporting family," I'd have no clue on half of what I know now. 

Anyways, here are part numbers I came across ordering for the 1312 50" sickle bar: 100963 seal, 103118 seal, 6203 RSJ bearing, 203FF sealed bearing, 3/4x16 jam nut, #10 24 x3/8 cover bolts. 

20210211_142340.jpg

20210209_082122.jpg

20210209_082104.jpg

20210211_142400.jpg

20210211_142416.jpg

• Excellent 2

peter lena

@Thegearhead0324  nice job on that ! have to ask  what did you use for a  lubricant / grease on all moving parts ?  typically that shuttle box and related pulleys , give it up  from lube failure . found freeing up and detailing  attachments , pulleys / drive set ups, makes a real difference . pete  

Thegearhead0324
6 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Thegearhead0324  nice job on that ! have to ask  what did you use for a  lubricant / grease on all moving parts ?  typically that shuttle box and related pulleys , give it up  from lube failure . found freeing up and detailing  attachments , pulleys / drive set ups, makes a real difference . pete  

Fluid film is my all time favorite lube, use it on everything, even as undercoating for my truck. Besides Lucas red and green greases, fluid film is great. 

• Like 1

kpinnc

Of all the attachments out there, a sickle bar is the one I would like to have the most. Yours looks great! :thumbs:

• Like 2

Thegearhead0324

Thank you. Its my favorite attachment as well, just the look of them. I also have the dump cart and 54" plow blade i redid as well for my 1257. I used the plow for quite a few years, but I don't like putting all that stress on the ol horse, along with the weights and stuff. Just trying to keep it clean now. 

• Heart 1

c-series don

The wobble box on mine leaks and I keep thinking about rebuilding it. I was thinking about loading it up with corn head grease but I’m not 100% sure that’s a good idea? 

210CAFFB-F94D-4D4D-A1A6-412E6B17D1CC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

Sweet thread!  @Thegearhead0324 @wheelhorseman what is the purpose of a swath rod or swath board?  Does it push the next row away, in preparation for laying down clean?  Indicator of sorts?

• Like 1

Thegearhead0324

Yes indeed. The swath board rakes a little bit of the cut hay away from the uncut hay. Keeps the cut hay from getting tangled on the inside end of the sickle bar on the next round. I made mine that’s on the end and painted it to match along with a decal, for the cool factor. 

• Like 1

wheelhorseman
1 hour ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

Yes indeed. The swath board rakes a little bit of the cut hay away from the uncut hay. Keeps the cut hay from getting tangled on the inside end of the sickle bar on the next round. I made mine that’s on the end and painted it to match along with a decal, for the cool factor. 

:text-yeahthat:

and the funny thing is, they do not list a swath rod in the parts manual, but it is shown on the front cover mounted on the sickle mower:confusion-confused:

307B7C10-24B7-485C-A4B8-2FA1CDA6DA85.jpeg

Edited by wheelhorseman
  • Like 1

Thegearhead0324

@wheelhorseman it is ironic 

moe1965

Nice rebuild I have one that I bought just because it looks bad a** mounted on a wheel horse.  

• Like 2

Darb1964
On 1/26/2023 at 7:28 PM, kpinnc said:

Of all the attachments out there, a sickle bar is the one I would like to have the most. Yours looks great! :thumbs:

Unfortunately they didn't make enough for all of us that want one. Never know, all it takes is a dream and some luck.

• Like 2

Thegearhead0324
9 hours ago, Darb1964 said:

Unfortunately they didn't make enough for all of us that want one. Never know, all it takes is a dream and some luck.

That’s exactly how I got mine, a wanted ad and luck 3hrs away 6 years ago.