farmer

Something...'different'.

953 nut
3 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Where does my butt go?

2 hours ago, farmer said:

that bit of extra frame behind the steering axle, well the drivers got to sit somewhere.

4 hours ago, Texas Todd said:

Hence Dennis' butt? :ychain:

Not sure @farmer was building it for your butt;     but if you ever go to Dorset, England and stop by I suppose he would let you sit on it!   :ychain:

• Like 3

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Not sure @farmer was building it for your butt;     but if you ever go to Dorset, England and stop by I suppose he would let you sit on it!   :ychain:

I was hoping for a test drive!B)

England though...  Well. I've always wanted to go to my source!  What better reason?

• Like 2

farmer

As Dennis seems very concerned as to where his backside goes :wacko: I'd like to clarify,.. it's not behind the steering axle, and at the same time point out that, other than a small amount of cosmetic detailing, the LS carries no ballast or counter weights.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Looking at the 'honey bee' I can't spot a steering wheel either, maybe it was autonomous.  :huh::)

• Like 5

diesel cowboy

The honey bee has the steering wheel between the drive wheels with the seat just behind it pretty much on the gas tank.  It's a little difficult to see in the pics online but you can just make out the steering wheel sticking out above the tires

• Like 1

meadowfield

oh my!!!!  :bow-blue:

you go quiet for almost three years and then come back with this....  you've got a nerve :D

What an awesome project Rex - it's a variation on muir hill, Bray, Weatherhill. The wheeled loaders I remember as a kid.

Great steelwork and welds too :thumbs:

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 6

ohiofarmer

There is a little jeep forklift in town that I will try to get a picture of. The guy reversed everything, including the transmission,so he has 8 speeds in reverse--err forward---depending on where Dennis' butt goes :huh:

The guy is quite a character and just builds everything he needs-- including a car crusher.  I am afraid that if he ever quits or passes, the little yard where he cuts and scraps stuff might be a Superfund site due to maybe PCB's or who knows what seeping into the ground.

The city fathers are too busy regulating the wrong stuff to have a clue what is happening right under their noses. There is a gas station right by the Ethanol plant in a zero foot traffic area. Construction has ceased because the city got the land annexed and is demanding sidewalks. Just one of many examples....

• Like 5

farmer

As Dennis's rear end needs questions answered , it will be part of tonight's 'instalment', first however,.... Hello Mark, how's it going  up in the frozen north?, way to make me not feel guilty,...thanks. :P

Maybe I'll change my username to Dark horse. :rolleyes:

And ohiofarmer, your experiences are all to common, doesn't matter where you live, I think they call it 'progress'.  :(

Right now though

iiittttsssss loader time, 

IMG_0617.thumb.JPG.7013fca8f20b70a5eb656cc6e11ce55d.JPG

with the help of the cat, (I love my cat) I swopped the subframe for the tractor on the bench and then promptly stripped it down to axles, frame and engine, having already done a bit of measuring. 

IMG_0618.thumb.JPG.e6b422f04b20c79a3eba361eebe5dddf.JPG

I split the frame from the transmission, blocked it up then wrestled the subframe back into place, first seat mock up But with nothing to go from, steering wheel wise. And the engine was a pita so I got rid of that. 

IMG_0620.thumb.JPG.a1e45b2e4e93b274322e73c13c689ba8.JPG

l placed the whole steering unit in place. And of course because it's  a :wh: it slotted right in. :handgestures-thumbupright:

So, bearing in mind I wanted to keep the wheel base as short as possible the first thing to work out was the position of the fan gear for the steering. This means lengthening the steering wheel shaft so I wasn't banging my hands against the loader towers.

Adding a seat on the beer crate made it more... comfortable. 

IMG_0621.thumb.JPG.c8a1b660c630afe9e88efd8db2d5f2c8.JPG

A picture from the other side, and I felt I was on the right track. 

IMG_0624.thumb.JPG.8e5a7a12d3675445d9ef2a9d9d03b981.JPG

The bit of measuring I did earlier, (before tearing the tractor to pieces) involved the placement of the transmission belt idler. I would have to replicate this...so I did.

It is removable, you just have to separate the tractor frame from the subframe to get clearance.

Tomorrow we'll touch on steering and tractor frame.  :greetings-clappingyellow:

IMG_0619.JPG

Edited by farmer
  • Like 7

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: Did I miss the cat?   :scratchead:

• Like 2

953 nut
14 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:confusion-shrug: Did I miss the cat?   :scratchead:

Me too! I went on line to Lingomesh and came up with this;

Slang meaning of CAT

CAT means: Cat is British slang for bad, awful.Cat is British slang for a spiteful woman.Cat is British slang for a prostitute.Cat is British slang for the ******.Cat is musician slang for a man.

:confusion-confused:  Don't think that was it. Guess we will have to hang in there util tomarow. 

• Like 2

HorseFixer

Nice Fab and welding there MATE. I don't know what all the hubub about Cats is, Our Pres Don Trump Likes  Cats Too!  :D  By the way I hope you replace that Beer Crate with a Beer Cooler, That way  When you and your Blokes get done shoveling it will be time for a Beer!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

farmer

Mmm, yeah, not sure why I mentioned the cat, l guess it lurks around the workshop and sometimes helps me out with stuff. It makes a couple of appearances later on, so a prize for the one who spots it first.  :ph34r:

Horsefixer, I have a plan for what replaces the beer crate, it's a liquid, unfortunately it's not beer. And you'd definitely not want to drink it! :wacko:

Edited by farmer
  • Like 1

roadapples

You`re gonna` sit on the fuel tank ?...

farmer

Give that man a ceeeeegar !  :greetings-clappingyellow::greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

farmer

Time to get serious with the frame and steering, having made the belt idler carrier   

I thought l could squeeze the steering fan gear between it and the transmission. This is tight because I have to make something for motion control to slot in there as well, as I said though if I want to keep the wheelbase down it's the only way. Decision made, I could work backwards down the frame with the final position of the steering console and seat, I had to have a home for the fuel tank and battery, so figured under the seat made most sense. Leaving a bit of wriggle room we arrive at the engine. Measurements done I worked out I would need to add 440mm to the length of the frame. 

IMG_0626.thumb.JPG.1e330e8729ae1cd154fc8cf150c297cf.JPG

With the new frame parts cut to length, it all got clamped down to a steel and welded up. (I know I took this picture as l did this but when I look at it now it doesn't make sense) ?? Anywho, moving on....

IMG_0627.thumb.JPG.caced2e62fb2a0ab65bf51c339910514.JPG

The frames length to the steering axle showing fan gear mount. Speaking of the fan gear I suspect you've worked out how this now operates.....

IMG_0622.thumb.JPG.1e8e108e91fdefb804acc1791a172f53.JPG

with the fan gear cut off from its original shaft and mounted on a new 'slightly' longer one, the drive now goes ' out the back' effectively reversing the steering. IMG_0628.thumb.JPG.00e2842ad095ac78f0baaf14d06d4785.JPG

With the new longer frame, it's a case of measuring and cutting the new longer steering rod to fit, and at the same time welding the tie rod linking piece in its correct position. ( having already cut it from the original rod)

The steering link leaning against the vice is from my commando 8 (which is still awaiting restoration) it illustrates the difference in length. 

Enough from me... I'll be back tomorrow. :)

• Like 6

farmer

In the clear light of morning, after spending far to long staring at this pigging picture, l've worked it out.....

IMG_0626.thumb.JPG.462f19fc1891ecd04d468e815271a1c0.JPG

It's an optical illusion,..duh,

I could only see the frame clamped horizontally, whereas in reality it's clamped vertically. (couldn't workout how the lengths were different and how the angle iron had turned!!)

Getting older is a b#tch sometimes. :unsure: I find myself mumbling away to no one in particular about nothing in particu........... ........ ...  :P

Tonight I think it's gonna be about fuel tanks, batteries and Dennis's butt again. 

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: You're really stuck...

on his butt, huh Farmer? 

• Like 3

farmer

:banana-dreads: :lol:

Not sure I would have worded it quite that way Craig..  I'll rephrase it, the operators seat.  :P

• Like 3

DennisThornton

Much better now that I know where to sit!  Would enjoy planting my butt there right now so I could better follow along.  This is really good now but a ring side seat? 

• Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

better now that I know where to sit!

Sit on it Dennis

Image result for sit on it

• Like 2

farmer

'The operators seat' won't be in tonight's instalment, (getting a little ahead of myself) instead we look at fuel tank, battery and linking the subframe to the tractor frame. 

IMG_0632.thumb.JPG.bdd830f68692339552fe95c12f2a5667.JPG

with the the new extended tractor frame bolted up to drive axle, steering laid in and working, engine back on, its fuel tank time. The tractor had a good one so I wanted to use it, couple of issues here however. 

1/ It could not be mounted square on the frame because the fuel line would be directly inline with the steering rod underneath. 

2/ It had to be offset on the frame to allow clearance for the transmission belt to pass. 

Luckily, by moving it a few cm's to the right both problems were solved, the fuel line now passes between steering rod and right hand frame rail, and belt clearance is  good. 

Standard size battery sits 'east west' on the frame where the cables can be hooked up as before. 

IMG_0633.thumb.JPG.73be1bca14c74061d19c41693a54a76d.JPG

This picture shows the appropriate layout. I also planned to use the fuel tanks wire and spring to secure it. Also you can see the need to lengthen the steering wheel shaft. 

While on the bench and in this position it's time to take measurements to attach the subframe to the tractors frame. 

IMG_0635.thumb.JPG.46c30c05990a9859b6ff1225adec32e2.JPG

As the distance between the two frames was just short of 200mm my choice of steels was the same 200x50x5mm box as before. Two pieces cut with a nice angle to hopefully make it look less 'boxy'. I then  welded caps on them ready to....

IMG_0636.thumb.JPG.918e151d643c80f1df02797f0cc1dc0b.JPG

....show them up between the two frames.   So remember the measurement was less than 200mm? I cut two slots into these two cross members to allow the subframe to come up. The slots effectively allowing the tractor frame to fit down in the cross members. 

Four small pieces of angle were clamped to the tractor frame drilled and bolted through. Then the subframe lifted up trapping the cross members into the frame above, where I could weld the angle pieces to the cross members. 

IMG_0637.thumb.JPG.70161bcd37928d2217e4e0c040c02132.JPG

The excess length of the subframe was cut off, and the ends capped. Leaving me with this as the 'finished product'. 

Remove four bolts and the two frame can be parted. 

The picture probably explains what I mean clearer!!

Anywho it's time for me hot chocolate. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

DennisThornton

Pretty darned neat even without the seat!  But I spy something in the background that is distracting me.  Propane tank, another tank and a vent to outdoors.

?

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Like 1

WHX??

Little late to the party here but my guess here is you couldn't get the steering wheel off without cutting the steering shaft off and then you went to bed and and had a weird dream about something weird and this is what your at! :lol:I'll bite I'm following! 

farmer

Morning Dennis, well at least we've moved on from your rear,  ;)

In the background you see a crude workshop woodburner (the horizontal tank is a heat exchanger). 

Whx11, so your theory is because I struggled to get a steering wheel off, I went on to build this thing, having had a weird dream......yeah......right....ok, you sound as unhinged as me, you'll fit right in, welcome aboard!

Definitely doing the seat tonight.  :woohoo:

Edited by farmer
  • Like 6

Lee1977

I see you have four bolts holding the subframe to the tractor frame. I also saw where you had the four bolt holes to attach to the transmission housing in each subframe plate. I would add a heavy plate gusset and cap on the subframe under that attachment plate.

• Like 1