7316autohorse

Opinions wanted on 520H purchase

7316autohorse

My current 1990 520H has a motor issue and 1900+ hours. I found another, that is older, with approximately 500 hours according to the owner. I'm not sure of the exact year. Both the mine and the one I am looking at have the 60" deck. The seller wants $1,100.00 firm.

I am suspicious of the low hours due to the age and condition in the pictures. I have not seen it in person yet. All gauges and lights work according to the owner. I noticed the adjustment wheel is missing on the mule drive, one hood strap is gone, wheels are rusty considering the hours and the hub caps are slightly rusty. The owner claims the the deck was totally rebuilt by the original owner a year ago. 

I love my 520H with the 60" deck and finding any mower around here with a 60" deck usually starts at $2,000.00. But I would like to know what you all think. I will try to post pictures. I have plans to look at it this Saturday. 

20160825_184918.jpg

20160825_184816.jpg

5704.jpeg

5708.jpeg

5706.jpeg

5702.jpeg

5698.jpeg

5700.jpeg

Edited by 7316autohorse

Jerry77

Why not just repower yours?  You already know what you have ...no  telling what you might find on this one. sure looks nice for an 88 or 89....:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

WHX??

Others will be along but I just want to thank you for the :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Price is dependent how bad you want it I gave $1200 for a '95 236hr 48" deck that sat outside for 15 years, and 6 months later $800 for another '95 48" deck and bagger with 560 hrs,  from the pics it was kept under roof, but you should know that 60" is tough on them, Jeff.

IMAG2333.jpg

IMAG1896.jpg

• Like 1

7316autohorse

I know I have had a hard time finding another 520 around me. After a month or more of posting 520H wanted adds on Craigslist this was the only reply I got. 

I have a large lawn but never really had any major issue with my old 520. It actually still runs but I believe a valve finally let loose. Given the time and cost of repairing or repowering, I would just like another to replace it. Maybe I can fix it or part it out later.

00707_4eiumot6yH7_600x450.jpg

Cee245

Looks like a late 80's 520.  Even if the real hrs were 800, it seems like a decent deal, but I would offer less but in cash and see where it goes. Goodluck... just my opinion...

7316autohorse

I appreciate the comments and opinions. I tried talking the guy down to $900.00 but he is pretty firm. He didn't have it for sale but gave me a call after seeing my add. He said he bought it from the original owner who is an old friend of his.

Is there any real difference in how this one would perform compared to my 1990? I noticed it has the neutral lever between the foot rest like my old 1973 Auto16. The drive lever is also located there instead of near the steering wheel. Anything else that will be different like speed or steering? 

• Like 1

jellyghost

These are some cool pictures.  That is a neat tractor in the background of one pic.  The seller seems to be a collector.  Did you ask to see if the frame was damaged from a 60 inch deck?  I never noticed how wide the front stance is on a 520.  That is impressive.

7316autohorse
8 minutes ago, jellyghost said:

These are some cool pictures.  That is a neat tractor in the background of one pic.  The seller seems to be a collector.  Did you ask to see if the frame was damaged from a 60 inch deck?  I never noticed how wide the front stance is on a 520.  That is impressive.

I haven't asked about cracks in the frame yet. The seller is a Case fan. We seems to know Onan motors well. He bought the 520 because it has an Onan but he said the deck is just too big for his yard with the trees.

• Like 1

benji756

Thats a 88 or 89 tractor, those years had the foward/reverse lever between your legs. Nice looking tractor.

• Like 1

evanloock

It's a 1988 model.  The 1989 model used a ball on the end of the motion lever.  Someone has changed out  the front axle.  In 1988 & 1989 only the 520-HC had the swept-forward axle to allow for the 60-inch deck.

Edited by evanloock
  • Like 1

Ken B

Hrs could be true. That looks to be the original seat to that 520 and it looks to be in real nice shape. The seat could be the best indicator that the hrs are accurate.  I MUCH prefer the hydro levers position on the older 520's... The forward swept axle set up is worth 350- 400 bucks... If it runs nice and the hydro is strong its worth his asking price all day long... That tractor will clean up real nice. JMO

• Like 2