N2 Tractors

D250, Ark 500, ARPS M-177

N2 Tractors

Have this tractor that needs a lot of love.  Not sure if I should save it for a collector or not.  There is a lot of potential in this tractor outside the French motor Italian Steering and Italian Transmission.  Originally purchased the tractor for the Fel and Box blade but am having a bit of a hard time deciding what to do with it.  Are there any collectors that would be willing to purchase it as is with the FEL for a decent price?  I am trying to find the pictures of it now.

I found a picture with the FEL working after I replaced a couple hoses and the O-Rings in the bucket cylinders.

D250 Ark 500 FEL.jpg

Edited by N2 Tractors
  • Like 9

Texas Todd

List it in the Classifieds! Welcome to Redsquare!

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:           There aren't a lot of :wh: on the west coast so you probably would be able to find someone willing to show it some love. The parts and pieces of the D-250 were international but it is good old :flags-usa: mussel. The loader and box blade will make it sell fast.

• Like 1

N2 Tractors

Thank you for the welcome.  I will probably get slammed for this but here goes.  If the price is right I would probably just sell it as a complete package less headache.  I had originally intended to use the FEL and box blade on a JD 317 repowered with Onan P218G.  However I have come to realize the loader is overkill and way to long for any 300 series JD.  It would probably be better suited for a 400 series JD such as a 400, 420 or 432.  I like the loader it's big and heavy weight just like the box blade and I would hate to desecrate this tractor but it needs a water pump, rear locker as it won't switch into locked mode and the electrical has been hacked big time.  Is there any companies that sell the parts to rebuild the water pump or rebuild them for customers at a reasonable price?  I would like to be able to use the FEL and Box Blade together with the rear wheels locked for maximum traction.  Since the rear wheels don't lock I thought about altering it and installing a rear locking hydro along with a different power plant.  What do you guys think?

Oh in case any one is wondering what the silver cylinder is hanging on the FEL upright stabilizer bar it is a gravity fed gas tank.  It must have a bad fuel pump and the original fuel tank is missing.   

Edited by N2 Tractors
  • Like 2

Achto

:WRS:

@maxiblueMight be able to help you out with locating the parts that you need to fix your tractor. Others may chime in with help too.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer
12 hours ago, N2 Tractors said:

Thank you for the welcome.  I will probably get slammed for this but here goes.  If the price is right I would probably just sell it as a complete package less headache.  I had originally intended to use the FEL and box blade on a JD 317 repowered with Onan P218G.  However I have come to realize the loader is overkill and way to long for any 300 series JD.  It would probably be better suited for a 400 series JD such as a 400, 420 or 432.  I like the loader it's big and heavy weight just like the box blade and I would hate to desecrate this tractor but it needs a water pump, rear locker as it won't switch into locked mode and the electrical has been hacked big time.  Is there any companies that sell the parts to rebuild the water pump or rebuild them for customers at a reasonable price?  I would like to be able to use the FEL and Box Blade together with the rear wheels locked for maximum traction.  Since the rear wheels don't lock I thought about altering it and installing a rear locking hydro along with a different power plant.  What do you guys think?

Oh in case any one is wondering what the silver cylinder is hanging on the FEL upright stabilizer bar it is a gravity fed gas tank.  It must have a bad fuel pump and the original fuel tank is missing.   

I don't see anything there that will get you slammed. :confusion-shrug: The chatter focuses on Wheel Horse :wh:, but as long as you aren't rude or blowing smoke, then most people here appreciate all colors of tractors. (And you'll find they are friendly folks!)

As far as the water pump, I know the engine is a renault, but the D-250 is an unusual beast that shares nothing but the paint color with other wheel horse tractors. There are some experts here in them though and they should be along shortly. 

On the modifications, if you are a fabricator type then it would be cool to see an updated D-250. However you will be on your own as far as I know, no one has ventured into the modified D-250 territory yet. I would love to see a build thread on it if you do go that route though! Toss a yanmar diesel in that setup and you would have the coolest custom D-250 in the country!

BTW, Welcome to Redsquare!

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 3

N2 Tractors

I am a hobby shade tree mechanic tinker'r and have not done any real fabrication like what I mentioned above.  I won't let that scare me out of trying though ;).  I know enough to know that I am not going to just start cutting the frame up and doing a hack job.  Over the last few years I have made a few small accessories for my tractors that work just fine.   I wanted to be able to fabricate implements and accessories for my Garden Tractor Hobby.  I got into Garden tractors as a hobby which in turn sort of forced me into fabricating projects for my Garden Tractors.  Now I am learning how to weld and fabricate for all my hobby projects.  

My first ever real GT was a Dead JD 317 with a 33 tiller.  It came with a B&S engine on the side for a swop but I ended up trading that for another Dead said to run 317 that had the Onan P218G repower in it " they guy I got it from thought it had the KT17 in it ".  Since that tractor with the Onan was ran ragged I did the engine swop to the tiller tractor.  I had some fun with that.  Had to file the block where the starter goes because the teeth on the starter were not lining up properly with the flywheel.  Pulled and cleaned up the flywheel teeth and magnets.  you know the whole shabang.  Solved the starting problems and now that little 317 is a pretty tough little tractor.  I liked it so much I purchased a Dead 316 with a Onan P218G just to have an engine for the other 317 so I could have twins :)   The 316 has a rear hydro I could use for the D250 but it is not a locking differential.  I did see some hack's for welding the spider gears in the rear differential and thought I could maybe do a mod like that but it would be permanent.  

So any way I'm rambling on about all kinds of stuff.  A Yanmar would be sweet.  Toss up some ideas for cheap cost effective sources for such a power plant.  What machines use the Yanmar diesel engines?   Dead generators, tractors, Zero turn mowers etc etc.  I agree the D250 would definitely be a very nice tractor with a Diesel and Locking Hydro.  I have read on the web that the German manufacture Gutbrod made the D250 and have the same tractor labeled as the Gutbrod 2500S with optional Diesel engines.  The sad part is a Diesel was not an option for the Wheel Horse D250.  On the bright side  The D250 Renault 800-01 engine is supposably down rated at 19.5hp to get imported to the states as a Garden tractor.  This was because any larger than 20hp or so and it would fall under a larger tractor category.  Don't quote me on that though.  I read that on the web and you know how that goes.  Supposedly the Same Renault Engine was used in forklifts with the power rated at 30hp.  It's kind of cool info that makes it even more desirable imho.

If any one can read German I think this is some wiki info on the Gutbrod Diesel engine.  I am an American with 50% German Ancestry and don't speak a lick of German :(

Die 2000er Serie war in mehreren Modellen vefügbar
2450 DS : Diesel 9 KW/13 PS
2500 S  : Benzin, erste Modelle mit 20 PS bei 3000 U/min, spätere Modelle 25 PS bei 3400 U/min
2600 DS : Diesel 20 PS
2600 DAS: Diesel 20 PS mit Allradantrieb

Die ersten Modelle hatten ein 3 Gang-Getriebe mit Untersetzung und Bandbremsen, spätere Modelle waren mit 4 Gängen (+ Untersetzung) und Trommelbremsen ausgestattet.

Edited by N2 Tractors

ericj

I've never owned a D250, or I'll correct myself I've never owned a running D250 and the dead one I hauled home did't keep very long till somebody wanted more then I did for all the work it would have taken, motor was tight. anyways I digress, The D250 runs what I believe or have been told is a bronze ring gear in a metric tooth. I have been told that it is known to break and when that happens it is game over, pretty much. :hide:

eric j

N2 Tractors
18 hours ago, ericj said:

I've never owned a D250, or I'll correct myself I've never owned a running D250 and the dead one I hauled home did't keep very long till somebody wanted more then I did for all the work it would have taken, motor was tight. anyways I digress, The D250 runs what I believe or have been told is a bronze ring gear in a metric tooth. I have been told that it is known to break and when that happens it is game over, pretty much. :hide:

eric j

Well This is one of the reasons I would like to swop out the Transmission for a Hydrostatic Transmission.  The Hydros are bullet proof and come in handy when using a FEL.

Edited by N2 Tractors

wh500special

Maybe 15 years ago on eBay there was a D-250 in northern Illinois that had a hydro rear end from a Deere 400 (400/420/430) series swapped in.  So it can be and has been done.  

I have no no idea what's become of that tractor. 

Im not sure about this, but it is possible that the engine in the D-250 is mounted in the opposite direction as in a Deere.  I don't know this as never paid attention.

The 10-speed in the D-250 isn't known for its toughness or longitivity.  lots of them exploded.  If you're going to turn the tractor into s dozer, a trans swap might not be a bad idea.  

Steve 

Edited by wh500special

N2 Tractors

I think All the 300 and 400 series Deere's have a crankshaft running horizontal from the front of the tractors to the rear and all of them had a drive line type connection between the flywheel and the hydro pump which iirc were all sunstrand hydro pumps which were also hooked up to the transmission. A lot of those tractors had Dyna differentials.  Both my '79 317's have dyna diffs.

HorseFixer

:WRS:    Just looking at that loader I think that is an ARK 550. From what I have seen sitting in the Tractor the loader controls are on the left as yours is shown. On a ARK 500 the controls are on the right. Good luck in selling it amazes me how that got all the way out to Cal. I bet that Horse has some stories to tell!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

wh500special
7 hours ago, N2 Tractors said:

I think All the 300 and 400 series Deere's have a crankshaft running horizontal from the front of the tractors to the rear and all of them had a drive line type connection between the flywheel and the hydro pump which iirc were all sunstrand hydro pumps which were also hooked up to the transmission. A lot of those tractors had Dyna differentials.  Both my '79 317's have dyna diffs.

Right.

My uncertainty is basically whether or not the rotation direction of the engines are the same.  The D250 engine is mounted like in a pickup truck with the radiator in front and the bellhousing in the rear.  Most other GT's with engines mounted longitudinally have the engine turned around the other way.

This might be a non-issue.  You'd have to investigate.

Steve

N2 Tractors

Horsefixer it could be a 550 I have not looked at the plate on the loader for quite some time.  Sorry if I am wrong on the FEL model number :/  The guy I bought it from did come out west with it a few years before I aquired it.

Wh500 it would be a non issue if I am doing a repower it will get a new hydro and vise versa so all will be in harmony.  Only problem would be hydraulic pumps for FEL etc.  Easy enough to rotate the pump 180 to fix rotation issues ;)

Edit:  I don't know how to tell what the Loader Model is as it does not specify on the ARK tags.  I do have good pictures of the bucket and upright tags if that will shed some light on the model numbers.

20170406_094800.jpg

20170406_094926.jpg

Edited by N2 Tractors
  • Like 1

N2 Tractors

In retrospect with listing this in the classifieds.  What could or should I expect to get for this tractor as it sits"  It runs and drives.

bmsgaffer

Prices are incredibly regional. With you being out west, you could get a decent amount for it because they are rare and you find an interested party, or in some cases i have seen you cant give them away because of the lack of interested parties.

Personally (keep in mind I have never owned a d250) i would list for 2k and expect to take around 1500. I could be wrong (and i often am) ;)

• Like 3

N2 Tractors

Heck I have seen some garden tractor loaders for for as much as $1500 to $2000 with out a tractor.  Not so sure I would want to sell at $1500.  At $2000 I might give it a minute to sink in before deciding what to do.

Edited by N2 Tractors

953 nut

I paid $1800 for a GT-14 with a loader and 3 point lift several years back and drove 800 + miles one way to retrieve it. The "D" is a much larger and less common  :wh: and should be very interesting to anyone. The loader will fit other brands and the box blade would be easy to sell so if you decided to break it apart and take your time I guess you could get more money. Don't know how many D-250s made it that far west, but I bet they are quite scarce. You will have to be the one who sets the price, but take a look at what they are asking for like units of other brands in your area first.

• Like 1

N2 Tractors
On 4/5/2017 at 10:47 PM, N2 Tractors said:

A lot of those tractors had Dyna differentials.  Both my '79 317's have dyna diffs.

I want to correct my self.  Dana Differentials.  Dyna is for Harley's 

Edited by N2 Tractors
  • Like 1

N2 Tractors

Any one want to buy it ?  I purchased a John Deere F935 with a 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel thinking I would be able to swap it into this D250 but the Radiator for the yanmar is very wide and would not fit under the hood of the D250.  Some of the folks on MyTractorForum seem to think that I would run into over heating issues if I don't use the same radiator from the F935.  Well I was told not to use a smaller radiator as it could or would probably lead to over heating issues.  So I was thinking I should just try to sell this and the F935 and put that money towards a JD FEL that will fit my other JD GT's.

Edited by N2 Tractors

N2 Tractors

I still have not done any thing with this tractor as of yet.  Cleaning out the back yard and now the starter stopped working :/  Need a starter and front tire as well as a water pump.  If I replace those items I'm sure it'd be much easier to sell.

Here is some info I found in another thread located here.  

On 1/11/2014 at 3:06 PM, C-101plowerpower said:

since the d250's are pretty much the same as gutbrod 2500, parts can be found in germany

http://gutbrod-schrauber.de/ersatzteile-f-r-2500-s.html  (Bad Link)

http://ersatzteilhandel.jimdo.com/gutbrod-2500-getriebe/ if you open the pdf on that site you'll get an exploded view of the transmission (Bad Link)

http://ardiehl.de/Gutbrod/Gutbrod_2500_Benzin_Motor.pdf engine pdf

hope this helps

Koen

On 1/14/2014 at 1:01 AM, C-101plowerpower said:
Edited by N2 Tractors

WVHillbilly520H
On 12/12/2017 at 3:01 PM, N2 Tractors said:

Any one want to buy it ?  I purchased a John Deere F935 with a 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel thinking I would be able to swap it into this D250 but the Radiator for the yanmar is very wide and would not fit under the hood of the D250.  Some of the folks on MyTractorForum seem to think that I would run into over heating issues if I don't use the same radiator from the F935.  Well I was told not to use a smaller radiator as it could or would probably lead to over heating issues.  So I was thinking I should just try to sell this and the F935 and put that money towards a JD FEL that will fit my other JD GT's.

If you sell both why look for something like an 80s JD 650/750 with FEL or same era Kubota or Satoh/Mitsubishi in the 3cyl diesel 15-20hp range?

N2 Tractors

Hey WV,

Thank you for the feedback.  That would be a good plan,  however my plans have changed for my future.  I’m currently under financial constraints atm.  Wanting to sell to climb out of a financial debt I’m in atm.  Long story and I don’t want to bore y’all with all the details.  I basically need to pay off about $10k in debt.  So I’m looking to liquidate a lot of my toys so I can hopefully reevaluate and plan for my future investments outside of my toys and hobby’s.

Does anyone know if the starter I linked a couple posts up would work in this tractor?

N2 Tractors

Ok I put a new tire on the front for $46 shipped and the starter actually worked from Amazon for less than $90.00 shipped.  Got it moved until I can figure out what I'm going to do with it.  I'd like to sell it as is for $1500 with the rear 3pt hitch but without the rear box blade  I don't think any one out here is wanting a old hard to come by restoration though.  If I end up keeping it the other option is to install a diesel engine with a John Deere 430 2 spd locking hydro transaxle.  That would be a lot of work but would make it very unique and probably even harder to sell once complete "rollie eyes".